Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair drying routines.

Length
    Shldr/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Hair drying routines.

Hi. What do you guys do with your hair after you wash it?

I put it up in a towel (carefully, dont twist), then use leave in conditioner. Just started experimenting with coconut oil. Let it air dry loose. Comb when dry.
    Any tips to how I can improve my routine?
    Thinking of buying a softer towel (microfiber?) for my hair.

And: Can I use both leave in conditioner (when wet) and coconut oil (when dry)? Does it have to be one or the other? My hair is naturally dry and needs a lot of moisture (CWC helps a lot though).

Please share your routines with me

Length
    2/26/~30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Default Re: Hair drying routines.

I'm interested, too. I squeeze and scrunch it gently to remove excess of water, towel dry a bit with a big cotton wrap, add some mousse and then let it air dry. I try not to touch or shake it hard and generally treat it like a ticking bomb (or rotten egg ) else it gets frizzy. This part is incredibly difficult because my hair dries like ages and I am constantly tempted to get it away from my face, flip onto the back etc or ruffle the roots to make it dry faster.
    If I wash at night I wait till it's damp and go to bed. I place it all around my head on the pillow. It gets rather messy this way usually but still fit for an updo or half-up.

Maybe someone will come with some magic recipe of no-heat, no-frizz fast dry?

ETA Did you notice oil makes drying longer than usual? I don't put oils on my hair after wash, so I don't know.
    Last edited by milagro; December 12th, 2010 at 03:04 PM.

Hair is like cat. You can't really tame it, you just have to care and enjoy.

Length
    23,2/27,6/Clsic
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I just squish the water out of it and leave the bathroom without brushing it etc. I only brush the front a bit to make a decent part. Then I put coconut oil in it when it is 90% dry.
    Lady Phemonoe of the Lilting Song in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    3/16/40
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I squeeze out the water and then put it up in a towel (one of the methods that was outlined in an article...not sure who by or when it was though) then I get out of the shower. I always put hair up first or else I drip all over my body while I try to dry my body...kind of counterproductive.

I leave it in the towel for a couple minutes to help get out as much water as possible. Then use a wide tooth comb and gently comb it. I usually then use my homemade leave-in conditioner. And then I let it air dry for a while until it's about half dry then I'll apply my hair cream or coconut oil.

I've used leave-in conditioner and coconut oil in my hair at the same time before and have never had a problem with it.

Length
    4"/19"/30"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

squeeze out excess water

blot withe towel

wrap up in towel turban-style

take hair out of towel after 5 minutes or so

apply leave-in conditioner (John Freida something-or-other in a green bottle that smells SO good (minty))

Comb (my hair NEVER tangles...we shall see as it gets longer but as of now-never

Let air dry

Coconut oil when dry
    Started at 3" (July 2000), got to 19" (Nov 2010); Goal is 30" (ETA Dec 2012)
    19"/APL/BSL/WL

Length
    ears/34"/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I like to braid my hair when its still wet so the next day I have great waves

ETA:
    Also, I use coconut oil on wet/damp hair. Everyone else uses it on dry hair. Even though its an oil, it seems to work great for me on wet hair. Is it better to wait until hair is dry?
    Last edited by Finoriel; December 13th, 2010 at 06:52 AM. Reason: merged posts to ETA

Length
    BSL/waist/TBL?
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

I squeeze the water out, start to dry off, squeeze the water out again (lol) and then put it up in a towel while I finish getting dressed and stuff. I used to do the towel turban but I find that my hair comes out nicer if I do either the "towel tube wrapped around the head" as described in the articles section or the "princess leia/ram's horns" towel rap that I think it was LittleOrca wrote a thread about? I just discovered that one recently and I have to say I really like it, seems really secure and hair-friendly.

As soon as I'm dressed I take it out of the towel. Basically I hate the feel of wet hair down my back so I use the towel to keep it off me until I have some clothes on and won't feel it :P But I try to leave it in the towel as little as possible to minimize frizz and any friction damage. Then I brush it out once(I know, I know, but it's a wooden brush and the bristles are wide-set and I'm gentle - and if I don't flip my head upside down like with a turban, there are usually no tangles) to make sure it's all evenly separated with no big clumps. And then I let it air dry which takes 3-4 hours, or if I have somewhere I really have to go sooner than that I'll either damp bun/braid it or blow dry it as gently as possible (last resort).

Horrid lighting and resolution...but even still I can see 2" growth and lots more shine!

Length
    :(/:|/:)
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I squeeze out the excess water in the shower, then give it another squeeze with the towel once I'm out. I slather on my leave in conditioner (I use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose - heck yeah moisture) and fingercomb a bit. On top of the conditioner, I work in a mixture of shea butter, coconut oil, and sweet almond oil.

Since I shower at night, I'm usually just going to be sitting around reading/surfing the net afterward. I either let my hair just hang down my back, or if I'm laying down I'll drape it over my pillows. I'm pretty lazy. :P If my hair's still feeling a little dry/frizzy once it's air dried, I'll smooth a little more of the butter/oil mixture over it.

You can leave in any combination of products/oils, whether you hair is sopping wet, bone dry, or somewhere in between. It just depends on what your hair likes, so experiment and see what works. As you can tell, my hair likes all of the above.

Length
    14/?/65
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I twist my hair up turban style for 20 minutes or so, then I let hang down. Its winter and snowing outside so I blow fry my scalp only and go outside to do my chores with my length in my coat keeping warm. lots of coconut oil and gentle wide tooth combing only. I hate the blow fryer but december, January, February it seems inescapable in ohio. I tell myself its only 17 times a year and only the scalp. I make excuses....oh well. It could be every day..........
    :drama:

Type
    1a/M/ii

I made a long "sleeve" out of an old t-shirt, and after i wash and gently squeeze the water out of my hair, I put the "sleeve" on so that my clothes and the couches in the howse don't get soaked from the drips... After about half an hour I take the "sleeve" off and let it airdry without touching, and then comb and oil when it's dry.
    I look really funny with that thing on my head (my brother falls over laughing every time), but I don't care