Thread: Updo ideas on longer knotted hair

Length
    15/39/?

Default Updo ideas on longer knotted hair

At the moment I feel like trying new ideas for updos. I have searched youtube and googled some, but it's just like when I had unknotted hair; so many updos are difficult to get around when you have a little longer hair. I repeatedly seem to end up with too much hair left. Also, and this is where it gets tricky, I dream about updos that my fumbling uncooperative fingers can manage. As it is the most advanced I do is giant mouse-ears on top, four low braids, knot a couple of layers in back and the rest loose ... and that is it.

Anyone with a suggestion - or three?

Length
    20 in/waist/TBL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/iii

Default Re: Updo ideas on longer knotted hair

What is knotted hair? like dreadlocks?
    starting length (oiled)
    Midback to Waist to Hip
    John 3:16

Length
    15/39/?

Correct

Length
    shldr/bcl/more?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Here maybe ?
    There are lot of ideas, but i'm too lazy to search..
    Good luck !

(lovely locks by the way )

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Can you twist into anything resembling a bun, or is your hair just too big?

A massive french twist might work, but you'll need some massive pins/forks to secure it.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    15/39/?

Aeltt; thanks for comment and link. There are a lot of ideas there, but I have had difficulty in making them work for real. They may look ok if I stand still by the mirror, but after having turned around to separate two puppies or, more common, two puppies, one cat and one child, most updos have already started their inevitable road downwards. One of the wraps work, though, even after I have been on horseback.

Anje, yes, I can twist all of it into a rather ok bun, but from there to get it to stick seems mindboggling. But writing this, I wonder; would a knitting needle do the job?

On a Diplomatic Mission Intransigentia's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/butt/class
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

I use bent knitting needles as forks/pins for my much-smaller, un-knotted hair, so I bet they'd work for you straight!

Benign neglector par excellence

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Knitting needles make good hairsticks, and they come in all kinds of lengths. Chopsticks are good too, though you'll probably want one with a smooth, pointy tip (Japanese style, not Chinese style chopstick). They're long for most folks at about 9 inches, but I imagine they'd be a decent length for locs.

I like to point people to Eadwine's 10sec quick bun as a good starter for securing hair with sticks, because it's the sort of bun that that just uses the stick to hold it all together. Of course, if you have more length, you can wind them around the ponytail, turning it into a nautilus bun.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    waist/hip/term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Oh, definitely yes to chopsticks. I use them all the time. And you can find them in a billion different styles and colors.

As far as updos, the only ones I use on a regular basis are a cinnabun that barely makes it around once before I tuck the ends in, and a low folded ponytail with the ends tucked into the loop on one side, and held with a big scrunchie because an elastic would not survive that.

A chinese bun is good, too. I make mine held with a chopstick, and start with two halves of my hair crossed instead of a ponytail.

Also, I have always founds hairpins (the U-shaped kind) to be very dread-friendly. I really want to try the folded-over-double-pointed-needle hairpin thing as well, but I haven't been able to decide on a set to sacrifice yet...

Some good ideas on that link, BTW.