Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: positives & negatives of not cutting for a year

Length
    18"/hip/class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default positives & negatives of not cutting for a year

OK I am so desperate to get to hip length in 2011, that I am going to try not cutting at all in 2011.

I have gone 2 years in the past, when my hair was cut short and my hair managed OK but 3 years on my hair is obviously longer and I am kind of thinking will my hair suffer in anyway?

I wear my hair up 98% of the time and wash twice a week, was daily but my hair behaves better with just 2 washes.

My positives are more growth, therefore I reach my goal quicker. I can't even think of any others

Negatives- more damage and splits (cannot be mithered with s&d's they send me crosseyed), thinner ends, and breakage

I might be wrong and would love to hear others opinions on not cutting, especially long term non-cutters. TIA
    an 8 year journey, with a 3 year stop at waist. Traveling along to classic. F/M 2a/b iii 31.5" January 2013http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ge=7&p=2371372 a year without trims ....trying!

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

Default Re: positives & negatives of not cutting for a year

I did not cut or trim at all for over a year and my hair handled it just fine. Sure the ends were a bit dryer and thinned a bit but my hair never looked horrible. Granted I am not prone to split ends so I had no breakage. My rule is if you see splits, start trimming! I don't think it is worth the risk of spreading the damage up the hair shaft just to gain some more length. I started trimming just because I wanted to cut off the dry ends but I'm doing it slowly. I would reccomend micro trims as a healthy middle ground. You still get a significant amount of length but without a huge amount of damage or having to deal with thin ends.

Length
    23/30/hip
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I'm soooo desperate to reach Hip too!! I think I'll join you in not trimming!!! dont know if its possible for me to reach it in 2011 though...but might aswell see!!

oh yeah I have roughly 7 1/2 inches to grow till waist in the front anyway

Length
    18"/hip/class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by christine1989 View Post
    I did not cut or trim at all for over a year and my hair handled it just fine. Sure the ends were a bit dryer and thinned a bit but my hair never looked horrible. Granted I am not prone to split ends so I had no breakage. My rule is if you see splits, start trimming! I don't think it is worth the risk of spreading the damage up the hair shaft just to gain some more length. I started trimming just because I wanted to cut off the dry ends but I'm doing it slowly. I would reccomend micro trims as a healthy middle ground. You still get a significant amount of length but without a huge amount of damage or having to deal with thin ends.
    sound advice thank you, yes if i see splits I will dust, unfortunatelly my hair does get splits as its so fine (individual strands) though they have thickened since hennaering, but thanks again xxx
    an 8 year journey, with a 3 year stop at waist. Traveling along to classic. F/M 2a/b iii 31.5" January 2013http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ge=7&p=2371372 a year without trims ....trying!

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I started with a short pixie and didn't trim until I was past shoulder (14 months) and my hair held up very well. I have no plans to trim until I reach bra-strap. I too wear my hair up most of the time so it is definitely do-able. I think you should go for the length that you are "longing for"

Length
    20"/34"/39.5"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

This January willo be my first time going a year without trims and now I'm going for a second year in a row. I just make sure to S&D often and dust if I really get a bad urge to trim. It usually quells the urge. The only difference I noticed within this year is slightly dryer and more scraggly/clingy ends. I have to take extra care not to rush and just pull my hair apart and I can usually manage just fine. I REALLY want to get to Tailbone so I'm going one more year. I wish you luck on your attempt.

You can do it!!

Current Pic. Goal Tailbone.

Length
    18"/hip/class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by BellCat View Post
    I'm soooo desperate to reach Hip too!! I think I'll join you in not trimming!!! dont know if its possible for me to reach it in 2011 though...but might aswell see!!

oh yeah I have roughly 7 1/2 inches to grow till waist in the front anyway
    Cool we can be non-cut hair growing to hip sisters! (NCHGTHS club ) my hair doesnt reach waist at the front either, it would take it forever to get over my lady lumps I have 4.5" to hips, which is about what I have been getting a year, though I suspect I get 6" but maybe I have been cutting more than I thought. Ive not trimmed since October, hopefully my hair wont suffer, so want to get to hip!! nice to have you on board! xx

Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I waited 13 months for a trim and the only thing I noticed but didnt realize until I got my trim was that it tangled more easily and was harder to brush through. I am still glad I waited and am going to do another year!

Length
    Waist/Clssc/Clssc
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Before joining LHC I didn't trim for about a year and a half, growing from layered waist length to layered tailbone length, and even with care/routine that was far inferior to "perfect LHC care" the quality of my hair is honestly not too bad. I'm going to maintain with trims now before progressing further though, as I've reached my tailbone mini-goal.

I'd say definitely give it a try! With good care like you described you should be fine. And if you do reach a point where you're hating the quality of your ends you could always do a little trim - you've really got nothing to lose by trying, only lots of length to gain if it works out.

Length
    22"/36"/37"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

I'd like to do the same but I don't know if it's doable for my hair. My hair's at waist length, like yours, and I have 4" to go for the top of hip. I usually trim twice a year because my ends get frizzy, but maybe now that I'm taking really good care of my hair I won't have to trim as often. I get about 8 inches of growth a year so hopefully by next Christmas I'll be a little past hip even if I do trim 2".
    LHC: The few.. the proud.... the vaguely creepy