Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perms

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Perms

I've been growing out a perm for a few years now, a perm which I got for practical reasons. If I were to have the perm cut off right now, my hair would be between chin and shoulder length, which is about the length it was when I had it permed. I'd be back where I started. Not going to happen. My hair's about half an inch away from WL right now.

Are there people out there who had their hair permed before? How did you get rid of the perm? Did you patiently grow it out, all the while keeping your hair long, or did you sacrifice length to get rid of it all at once?

I've been growing my hair since getting it permed, having the odd trim, but not losing sight of my goal length(s). It isn't so bad right now because I have quite a bit of length left that's permed versus virgin length and so the perm is still very practical. However, it's going to get to a point where there's actually more virgin growth versus permed length at which point I might have to sacrifice the length depending on how it looks. I'm just not sure if I can have it all chopped off at once.

And so I'm wondering... How did you do this?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    16"/21"/Thigh
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Re: Perms

Usually (from the perms I've seen) it seems like the curl loosens enough that it's not too noticable to grow out a perm. Also, because of your hair type, you'll probably get away with it no problem. You could also try braid waves, or wear a lot of up do's. (Up do's will protect fragile ends while you're growing out as well).

Length
    4"/19"/30"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Well, I;m not in that situation right now, but Ive been there. I had my hair permed at about chin length and then it popped up to ear lobe length with the curl. I immediately started growing it and as it grew, I had to straighten the remaining permed hair every time I washed i or else it looked hideous. I have poker-straight hair normally, though so it looked awful.

I cut mine regularly once it reached chin length again and waited for it to grow out there. in the meantime, like I said, I straightened it.

But also, like I said, my natural hair is poker straight and it looked terrible to just leave it. I would say if your hair looks ok with the ends permed, and you've been happy with it growing out up until now, just keep trimming until it's gone. Do you have any pictures?
    Started at 3" (July 2000), got to 19" (Nov 2010); Goal is 30" (ETA Dec 2012)
    19"/APL/BSL/WL

Length
    SL/Hip/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

When I had my perm, I let it grow out with trims.
    Like above poster said, curl loosens, and I was able to look fine growing it out. I enjoyed it actually.
    Wobbly are the walls ofmy mind. ~ Hip onward to tailbone and beyond~ No trimming 2021 from 8th February 2021 ~ My hair type is Asian.

Perms, for me,.... can go into the "Smells that instantly put you in a bad mood' thread......

Everyday a Renegray(dont let the photo fool ya)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

andrea1982 -> Yep my hair type's pretty okay with it, except the length and weight does pull my waves out more than normal for some reason. Sometimes I do wear braid waves and they're really great. Maybe that's the key to just letting it all grow out gradually.

erika_d -> Sorry, no pictures.

Sammich -> The curls do loosen just not when it's freshly washed then the curls are back to their natural, freshly permed, state. They only get looser after wearing updos.

Quote Originally Posted by DARKMARTIAN View Post
    Perms, for me,.... can go into the "Smells that instantly put you in a bad mood' thread......
    In the eighties they sure did smell horrible. This one was pretty much okay, though. The perm solution didn't smell as strong.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post

In the eighties they sure did smell horrible. This one was pretty much okay, though. The perm solution didn't smell as strong.
    Yeah...I gotta admit, I havent gotten a whiff of one in a long time...I do remember it being offensive though....

"80's perms"....oh my gosh.....LOL

Everyday a Renegray(dont let the photo fool ya)

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I'm growing out a 2 year perm. Virgin hair is about APL. My hair has enough wurl I can scrunch and blend it so it really isnt noticeable. Why did I get one in the first place???
    Current Hair Care Routine-
    Lots of TLC & TLHC!

Length
    17/45"/??
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Several million years ago, back when I had my hair permed (high school and university), I always just let it grow out. I've enough movement and the curls loosened enough that it wasn't terrible, and braids hide a multitude of sins.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

My hair was around MBL when I cut my perm off - all at once, up to chin length, several years pre-LHC. I hated the cut, but I really did like having 'my' hair back again. The line between unprocessed hair and permed was a lot more noticeable for me, since I'd dyed it several times as well. It'd faded to a kind of pinky orange damaged mess. If you've got a more subtle line of demarcation, I'd just trim it - maybe pause at waist length and maintain it for a while until you're perm-free?