Thread: Any correlation between growth spurts and shedding?

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist

Question Any correlation between growth spurts and shedding?

I don't think I have seen this addressed (I apologize if it has been) but I was wondering if anyone has noticed if major shedding seems to accompany a growth spurt or perhaps the opposite?

It would seem that if you hit a growth spurt, more hairs would be reaching their terminal length at the same time which could explain a "shed" Or does shedding just depend on a certain amount of "time"? Has this been discussed before? Any insights?

I seem to be having a huge shed and am hoping there is an upside I guess!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. —Oscar Wilde

Length
    15"/BSL/hip
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Any correlation between growth spurts and shedding?

That is what I think happened to me this yr.
    From about Jan. to June I didn't hardly shed any. Then about June I started to shed a lot. Everytime that I touched my hair strands would fall out.
    I keep track of my hair growth every month. From Jan. to June seemed like my growth had stalled or not very much anyway.
    Then from June to now (I still seem to be shedding some, but not as bad) my hair started to grow about 1/2" a mon.

So, yes I think that for me the shedding meant that my hair was growing faster (want to believe that anyway, )

Length
    shldr/APL/APL
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

My hair was heavily layered start of 2010, so i didn't really notice too much hair shed at first because of the mostly shorter lengths. So what collects in the plug hole is not lots of bunched up longer hairs like what i notice now.

Spring sees a growth increase for me, lots of small halo hairs appearing, then i started regularly trimming from summer. Had a good growth spurt from May onward. But then i think better weather/warm climate always brings out great growing for me

Serious shedding in the beginning of autumn Which has sort of lessened now phew! These winter months see me trying to get a balance of not over weighting my hairs with oils and avoiding dull dry ends from hot to cold atmospheres. Roll on spring

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I seriously hardly shed until it gets to September and then I still only shed 20 hairs if that but about 10 otherwise, my hair spurt is always from November to February so maybe there is some correlation. I remember ages ago posting if there was any correlation between shed and fast growing and I think there was a connection, cant remember for sure as it was yonks ago!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

That sounds like a logical theory and has definatly been the case for many of my friends. They complain about increased shedding for a while then complain about new hair growth sticking up. Personally I usually shed and grow at a consistant rate but my mom is one of those people who sheds loads then gets a ton of new growth right after.

Length
    long/bob/n/a
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

I have noticed that after I shed a bunch, that I get length faster than usual. Then I start noticing lots of new hairs, and my length acquisition goes back to normal. I usually shed in the fall, then start growing through the late fall and early winter, then in late winter or early spring--new little hairs. I grow steadily over the late spring and summer, but nothing spectacular. Since I've been shedding a bunch, I'm hoping for a growth spurt .

Length
    Pob!/SL/BSL+
    Type
    1b/1c/M/i/ii

I grow at a normal rate but recently (in september) i noticed i seemed to have stopped growing. In october i started shredding like mad (i still am) and in november i noticed id grown almost an inch without realising! Im still shredding loads now...i think autumn/winter maybe good growth time for me! Or at least im hoping!!
    - Chin - Shoulder - Collarbone - midway between SL and APL - APL when my arms are lifted up! - APL - BSL -

Length
    15/14/35
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I notice that I grow my hair really fast from May to October, then I shed a bunch (this year is particularly bad since it's also my 5-year shed), then I notice a lot of new hairs sticking up around December, and from December to April, length grows gradually.

I live in an equatorial tropical island, and our four seasons are: hot and dry, hot and wet, cold and wet, and the shopping season.