Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diluting Shampoo

Length
    21"/25/29
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Default Diluting Shampoo

Who is doing this and at what dilution level?

I tried this out of curiosity with the last ounce of so in the shampoo bottle. Probably the last four shampoos have been with diluted poo. I was surprised that it "sudsed" up just as well as if at full strength (makes me wonder if I needed to clarify). I think I am not stripping my hair as much because it does seem to want to be washed a day or two sooner this way.

I'm going to keep this up for a little while to see how my hair does. For me the dilution isn't a science - this last mix was about 1/2 a bottle of water and maybe an ounce of shampoo (the previous mix was probably closer to 50/50 poo/water).
    At this rate my two bottles of shampoo are going to last a REALLY long time.

Oh one last question for those that do this - do you do a full strength shampoo every so often?

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

No I don't use a full strength shampoo because I don't use cones and the diluted shampoo does the job very well (probably would work if you did use cones too though). I use a squirt bottle and just put about a half teaspoon of shampoo (color-protect Paul Mitchell with sulfates is what I have been using) and then fill the rest up with warm water and squirt all over my scalp letting it run over my length. I'd say the squirt bottle is about 8 oz. I got it at Sally's in the "color" section.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

I dillute, mainly because shampoos to me seem so thick and don't work through the hair very well. My husband and one daughter have VERY thick hair, and they'd have to use a ton undilluted to get it underneath to the oily bits.

My hair is fine, but I dillute about 25/75 water/shampoo and it seems much gentler.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    16?/19.5/30
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I am trying CO but I like to wash a couple times a week--

Last week I took an old 8 oz squirt bottle (okay, I admit, it's one of those bottles they give you in the hospital when you have a baby for--cleansing, lol) and put about 1 tsp of shampoo in it. I've used about 2 oz of the mix each time I've washed my hair, and been amazed at how well it works!

My bottle of shampoo is going to last forever! I don't imagine I would need a "full strength" wash, ever.

Bea

Length
    19"/43"/40"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

When I use shampoo, I usually use Queene Helene Mint Julep, which comes as a concentrate. I mix it to make a gallon--it's quite thin.

Then I put some in a bottle that has a long pointy snout--with just a pinhole. I can run that snout along my scalp and get the shampoo right where I want it. (These bottles are for sale at beauty supply houses)

This shampoo has no sulphates at all and is extremely mild.

When I clarify, I usually use VO5 Kiwi and Lime Squeeze Clarifying shampoo. I dilute it with 4 parts water and 1 part shampoo in a smaller squirt bottle of the same type.
    [/URL]

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I have an empty shampoo bottle. I put some water in there. Then I add a short squeeze of shampoo and shake well.

Sometimes I dilute a bit too much and have to re-do it, but not very often.

I use gels and stuff, so I do a full-strength shampoo every now and then (twice a month or less), when the texture of my hair seems coarser, it looks duller, or it's dry and tangling more, etc.

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I mostly CO, but when I use shampoo I dilute, too. About 1/2 teaspoon shampoo to 8 ounces of water, in one of those squeezy bottles for applying color to your hair. I apply maybe 1/3 of the bottle to my scalp and gently massage, letting it run through the rest of my hair, rinse & condition (or not).

Pretty much the only time I use poo is when my hair doesn't feel good anymore after CO for a while. I don't use cones, but still, sometimes I need more that what the CO will do.
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Idiopathic Subgenius Xandergrammy's Avatar
    Length
    15"/52.5/termi
    Type
    2c/M/iii

My dilution is very unscientific- I figure it's about 50/50.

Avatar picture is Mystic Mermaid byJessica Galbreth Copyright 2006
    Proud vice leader of the Renegrays -Pictures!

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I dilute my shampoo too I right now I'm using Jason Henna Hi-Lights shampoo or Max Green Scalp Rescue Shampoo. I'd started with a 1 part shampoo to 3 parts water, but recently I cut it down to about 1 part shampoo to 6 parts water and it's still working very well.

I use an old cleaned out bottle from the Perfect 10 hair dye kit (not used on my head) for applying it right to the scalP;
    Last edited by Flaxen; June 3rd, 2008 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Replace hotlinked photo with link.

Length
    pixie/TB/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

My dilution is very imprecise, a squirt of shampoo in an empty shampoo bottle and probably at least a cup of warm water. It feels better and I think it does a great job.

I also do it with my dog's shampoo now when I bathe her, much easier to wash all that fur. Rinses better too.