Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diluting Shampoo

Length
    BSL/hips/hips
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I used to dilute it but I ended up using more so I stopped. It seemed illogical.

“Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.” Calvin and Hobbes

Length
    short/thigh/thigh
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I always dilute the shampoo. I don't precisely measure the amount of shampoo or water, yet the mixture always seems to work out well. In the summertime (erm, which lasts about 9 months here) I lather-rinse-repeat. One bottle of shampoo lasts a long time.
    Avatar courtesy of Lexy, Signature photo by CountessDeJager, Profile photo by Quixii
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=511&dateline=12095240  55

Length
    21-30/36/42
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I originally started diluting my shampoo before I even found LHC, because we have such hard water that if I used straight poo I'd be rinsing my hair for hours. But then, they say that around her the water is so alkaline it could be soap.

I currently use this mix:

One tablespoon of shampoo

Half a cup of conditioner
    One teaspoon of citric acid
    two cups of distilled water

I shake it all up in an old conditioner bottle and use that as the "COW" portion of my C-COW-C routine. It works very well and is soooooo inexpensive!
    Last edited by hurricane_gia; June 2nd, 2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: typo

July 06 : 21-30 inches, layered . . . Dec 09: 36 inches, still fighting the taper.

Type
    2a/F/i

I too use diluted shampoo but I dilute it seeing the thickness of the shampoo. I like my diluted shampoo to be quite watery so that I don't have to squeeze the bottle for it to come out.

Length
    26/27-30/??
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

I use two teaspoons of shampoo, either in 4 or 8 oz. of water, depending on how oily my hair is.

Length
    pixie/shldr/hip
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Heya!

This sounds a great idea i want to try but i have one question.. Currently I oil my hair overnight (Dabur Amla oil) every night and wash it with 'poo in the morning.. Do you think it would be ok to dilute the shampoo or would it leave the oil in my hair?

full strength isnt even getting rid of the smell [not that i mind, i like the smell] so yeahh

Length
    BSL/AP/-
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I dilute my shampoo too. I use an old shampoo bottle which holds half a liter. I like my mix to be very runny and watery, and very mild. I use a small squirt of shampoo and fill the bottle with water.

I dilute shampoo because it's easier to spread all over my scalp. If I would use undiluted shampoo I'd have to use lots and lots to get it all over my head.

Quote Originally Posted by toodramatik View Post
    This sounds a great idea i want to try but i have one question.. Currently I oil my hair overnight (Dabur Amla oil) every night and wash it with 'poo in the morning.. Do you think it would be ok to dilute the shampoo or would it leave the oil in my hair?
    I usually CO or scalp wash with diluted shampoo but sometimes I spread the liquid to my ends too, usually after heavy oiling with coconut oil. It cleans really well, even if it's mild liquid, and my hair isn't oily afterwards. I have used EVOO in the past and that stayed in my hair even after using full strength shampoo.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I dilute 10ml of shampoo (doesn't matter which brand I currently use) with 90ml water and wash my scalp with that mixture. This method works like a charm and cleans thoroughly but doesn't strip off all the hair's natural moisture.

Length
    mdbk/mdbk/mdbk
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Xandergrammy View Post
    My dilution is very unscientific- I figure it's about 50/50.
    That's about what I do too. I squirt a bit of shampoo into my hand, and add water before putting it on my head. My mother's stylist gave her this advice 30 years ago, and I've been doing it ever since.

Avatar photo courtesy of Gordon Richardson

Length
    Short/IDK/Hip
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
    That's about what I do too. I squirt a bit of shampoo into my hand, and add water before putting it on my head. My mother's stylist gave her this advice 30 years ago, and I've been doing it ever since.

Same for me. I haven't used undiluted shampoo in ages. My former stylist told me it takes a long time to rinse out, so mix it with water first to help it out a bit.

I only use shampoo once or twice a month and I only lather up once, so even travel sized bottles of shampoo last me a long time.
    IMHO, one can never have too much conditioner. ~Proverb from a PJ~
    Lady Bey of Twilight Cloud in the Order of the LongHaired Knights