Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Thread: Length over health?

Length
    chin/Hip+/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Length over health?

Right now I'm definitely focused on length, but I'll also break out the shears if the ends start looking too ragged. I just trimmed off three inches this week even though I finally hit TBL. I'll get back there soon enough.

I love intricate braids and buns and wear my hair in them almost all of the time. It's way too hot where I live (especially in the summer) to leave my hair down for any length of time. I leave it down when I sleep so my hair and scalp can breathe. I don't feel bad putting it up everyday. I'm also a pretty solid, creative braid maker and have no issue trying out new, unusual or difficult styles, for which I need that added length at the ends even if they're much thinner than the bulk.

I have no issues just putting it up and forgetting about it for months at a time, which probably contributed to its current dehydrated state. That's also how I gained almost a foot of hair without really realizing it. But I'm on the path to hydrated, healthy hair right now, so we'll see if my thoughts change about this topic in the future.

Definitely health! I absolutely hate the feeling of dry, damaged hair

Length
    28/39/44
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

I think I fall in the "length" category. If I cut my hair every time it wasn't "healthy" or every time my ends tapered, I'd never have long hair. It's thanks to my hairtype, which is both fine (prone to damage) and thin (prone to appearing more tapered than people with more bulk). Oh well. The flipside is that the fineness of my hair hides split ends really well.

EleriMc, I also did a trim right as I reached TBL (last October), although I took more like 7". Now I'm trying seasonal microtrims. Hoping to get back to TBL by the end of the year.
    MBL | WL | HL | TBL | HL | TBL | CLSSC(?)

Length
    chin/Hip+/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by samanthaa View Post
    EleriMc, I also did a trim right as I reached TBL (last October), although I took more like 7". Now I'm trying seasonal microtrims. Hoping to get back to TBL by the end of the year.
    Ouch! 7"? That's a chunk. We're growing back down to TBL together. Here's to hoping we'll both make our year end goals.

Length
    ../??/Term
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/iii

For my hair I don't notice much difference in health with trims vs left alone other than a thicker hemline, but I prefer my hair in fairytale ends anyway, so I guess I'll say length is more important to me.
    Final Goal: Terminal lengthLady Randiriel, Shepherdess of Tithenmamiwen

Length
    28"/35"/clasc
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Length. I think it's easy to trim and trim and trim your dead ends away, and with them your growth. It's a lot harder to baby the damage you already have (and, if you really want long hair, you're probably always going to have some damage) and trust that your dead zone provides a good buffer to your healthier strands farther up.
    .................................................. ............... .......
    ................................ ......................................BSL-MBL-WL-HIP-BCL-TBL-CLASSIC

Length
    CBL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Health over length for me, for sure. However, I've been growing out my hair without trims for about a year and a half now. It doesn't look great at the ends, but as soon as it reaches my goal length, I'll trim it continuously while maintaining, until it's healthy again. Hair that's long but lifeless or destroyed is just... not it in my book.

Length
    Chin/APL/Class
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Health VS length. For example, I personally can't let my hair grow into fairytale ends because my hair is fine and they just split like crazy. I look best with a blunt, even hemline and I'm willing to trim more often and grow more slowly to get that.
    No more big chops though. In the past, I've done them because my hair wasn't 100% pristine, even though it wasn't actually very damaged at all. I'd rather slowly trim off minimal damage and save big chops for desperate situations.
    long hair is self care
    Chin ♡ Collarbone ♡ APL ♡ BSL ♡ Mermaid ♡ Waist ♡ Hip ♡ TBL ♡ Classic ♡

Length
    16/21/?
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Health! and length... but most health.. lol

Gimmee all the goats!!! GoatLady's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/TBL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Right now? Length over health. I am only trimming once per year.

Hurray! I've reached tailbone length! Last trim 1-2-23.
    Lady Roxanne,Keeper of the Caprines 🐐in the order of the Long Haired Knights.