Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Length over health?

Default Re: Length over health?

Definitely health. I just took a big chop to get rid of a lot of my bleached hair and it feels so much better!!

Length
    14 in/25 in/32 in
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Honestly, I see photo's here that make me think they need to cut off the scraggly ends. I don't want my hair to look unhealthy. My hair idols are Indian and Asian women with healthy thick wavy dark hair. I did decide to let my hair grow a while without a trim since I just had one recently, so Ill be waiting until December. If the ends look thin or frail by then ill cut them back and start over. I want my ends to be as thick as the rest of my hair.

Length
    Chin/TBL/Class
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

Health. I spent the last year and a half trimming away all of my growth simply because the layers that I loved with shorter hair bothered me with longer hair. And that wasnít actual unhealthy hair, I just hated the feel of a braid shredding, or thinner hair at the ends. Iím not good at the Ďput your hair up and forget it existsí method of growing because I love the tactile sensation of hair and frequently wear it down. So I want my hair to feel healthy so I can continue having the patience to grow.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Hip(34.5)**BCL(35.5)**TBL(38.0)**Sit(39.5)**Classic(42.5)**FTL(46.5)

Length
    2"/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Corvana View Post
    Health over length to about shoulder length. Length over health until about MBL. Don't know what I'd go for after that! Perhaps a balance?

As for why those choices: I don't mind growing from shaved to shoulder length. It wasn't an incredible pain in the bottom. But from SL to at least BSL it's the woooooooorst. And I don't want to extend it any more than it already is. But from about APL on, my milestones are shorter, so it's less terrible! But between APL and about where I'm at now (MBL), hairstyles are more finicky. So I'd prefer to not trim until I hit a point where putting my hair up is more consistent and simple, which is MBL+.
    Like 8 months later, and at hip length, and I think I'd prefer a little more balance. I'd rather do microtrims than big chops, which is heavier on the "length" side, but I wouldn't be against maintaining for a little while to regain health without chopping either.

I definitely don't see myself chopping off damage any time soon, that's for sure!

SL~~~CBL~~~APL~~~BSL~~~WL~~~Hip~~~BCL~~~TBL~~~Classic~~~FTL
    Lady Corvana, Keeper of Ravens and Crows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    25/48/Term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/iii

It's taken me some time to get my overall health in check and, as a result, my hair is beginning to grow back. A lot of the regrowth has finally gotten long enough to hide in an updo (thankfully) but I think it looks a little strange when it's down; in other places it's still quite short.

So now I need to decide whether to cut off feet of hair or just deal. I've grown fond of the length so I'm leaning towards the latter for now, at least until the shortest bits are long enough to put up (which, I'm guessing, will be a couple of years).

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee+/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Right now, length - my hair is always up so how it looks is not a primary concern. Once I reach my first main goal though, I want to improve how it looks for sure. I will still keep growing after that, but probably with microtrims. At these lengths I'm not expecting a thick hemline though, so as long as it's all in decent condition I don't mind natural taper
    Haaaahaha yeah no I've only trimmed once since hitting knee and as long as my ends *feel* fine I've not been bothered to trim. They're thin, there aren't very many hairs right at the bottom of my hemline, but the hairs that are there are still in good condition. I guess if they felt horrible I would trim so health definitely is a factor, but ultimately I'm still prioritising length.
    Knee by 'Nineteen - hooray! Tiny trim and now onto Calf!
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair - phew

Length
    16/28/33
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Theoretically health, but I've been in denial about needing a trim for a couple of months now!