Thread: Tension and Hair Loss

Length
    SL/23.5"/30"
    Type
    3c/M/C/ii

Default Tension and Hair Loss

Has anyone correlated the amount of tension we apply to our hair and whether it causes excess shedding or not?

What I mean is, if we manipulate a larger section of hair at a time, will you shed less or cause less breakage, much like pulling multiple pieces of string is stronger over pulling one single piece of string (hope that isn't confusing).

I was wondering because I tested this with my Denman brush on Sunday (wash day, I detangle with my Denman on wet hair). Instead of combing small sections (as usual), I parted my hair in the middle and brushed through the two large sections of hair. I found that I had MUCH less shedding/wads of hair left over than usual.

Anyone thought about this or have tried it?
    <--FYI, the avatar is me, just wearing a wig, my protective style of choice

Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Default Re: Tension and Hair Loss

The closest thing I can think of is traction alopecia, where the perimeter of an area that's regularly pulled tight sheds through that tension pulling it out, like someone I knew who always wore a REALLY tight, pulsing-veins-in-the-forehead, ponytail to school and basically had a receeding hairline.
    Back after a 6 year break, and recommitted to growing out to classic

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

That is an intriguing concept. I usually detangle very large sections of hair at a time and have little shedding so maybe that is why.

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by christine1989 View Post
    That is an intriguing concept. I usually detangle very large sections of hair at a time and have little shedding so maybe that is why.
    Me too (^(oo)^)v
    I'm a little piggy! (^(oo)^)v

Length
    SL/23.5"/30"
    Type
    3c/M/C/ii

Interesting. That makes me feel better because I tried this recently and I, too, shed very little hair...Hmmmmm.... Let me try this again. It's wash day.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    Bald/Knees/Dunno
    Type
    1b/C/iii

I think its not as much about how much hair you handle and brush at the time but how you do it. In this case, you thought to yourself “Hey, I’m going to try something new and do it this way” instead of going on “autopilot” and doing it the same way you always do. If you pay attention like that, I think you will always be more gentle and careful.

One of my best tips ever (Unfortunately cant remember who wrote this gem first) is to always comb and handle hair in front of a mirror. If you start getting frustrated with an annoying knot, you stop tugging at it in anger when you see your entire face frown up. If you have to look yourself in the eyes, you are more likely to stop hair-cruelty

Length
    SL/23.5"/30"
    Type
    3c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    I think its not as much about how much hair you handle and brush at the time but how you do it. In this case, you thought to yourself “Hey, I’m going to try something new and do it this way” instead of going on “autopilot” and doing it the same way you always do. If you pay attention like that, I think you will always be more gentle and careful.

One of my best tips ever (Unfortunately cant remember who wrote this gem first) is to always comb and handle hair in front of a mirror. If you start getting frustrated with an annoying knot, you stop tugging at it in anger when you see your entire face frown up. If you have to look yourself in the eyes, you are more likely to stop hair-cruelty
    Hey! Makes sense! Recently, I started washing my hair in front of the mirror lately and I tend to do a better job than before. I didn't rush like I usually do in the shower (b/c of water running and all).

But thanks for that tidbit. We never realize how frustrated we really are until we look at our attitudes. I bet I look pretty childish when I get tangles, lol! I'll keep this in mind.

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I don't think this would affect your thickness noticeably but it could make individual hairs wait a day or two longer before they shed. As more time passes it will take less and less tugging for that hair to shed. But since the hair is attached to your head for years, a few extra days at the end wouldn't make a noticeable difference overall.