Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will eating a healthy diet really make a significant change in your hair?

Default Will eating a healthy diet really make a significant change in your hair?

Hi everyone,
    My whole life I've never been a healthy eater (I'm 18 ). A few vegetables here & there, but that's really it. My weight was never an issue. These past couple of years I've really let my diet get bad. And now that I am a few pounds overweight I've decided to cut out all junk food, drink just water with my meals, and eat healthier in general. I know that a good diet can promote healthy hair growth, but has anyone really noticed a SIGNIFICANT change in your hair when changing to a healthier diet? Or is it just a little smoother/better looking? Any experiences would be great, thanks. Any photos would be extremely helpful as well!

Grow hair, grow!

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Will eating a healthy diet really make a significant change in your hair?

Yes! At Least in my case I notice when I am eating very healthy my hair feels thicker , grows faster, and just has a better over all appearance. Even my stylist noticed a difference in my hair.

And I hate to sound like the old nag saying "eat healthy it will benefit you forever" ....but I am 41 now and while I have always eaten relatively healthy, I can only imagine how much better things could be if I had started at 18

Length
    chin/chin/waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Will eating a healthy diet really make a significant change in your hair?

I'm usually on the underweight side, and tend to lose extra weight if I'm under a lot of stress.... during the times when I am stressed I'll notice that my hair sheds a LOT. If I gain weight... especially if I eat more fat than normal (whole milk, whole fat yogurt, rich cheese, etc) my hair will look more shiny and full.

I guess it's not exactly what you were asking, because my hair doesn't generally notice if I'm eating sweets or salads, but just if I'm eating ENOUGH of things like fats and protein.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I think overall health does make a difference. When I am under more stress, I eat more junk, and drink more coffee. Then my skin (eczema, SD) acts up and my scalp gets more itchy, then I shed more hair. So that is a clear and immediate reaction.

Overall I am trying to eat better (no 'S' diet) which does seem to affect my new growth - it is thick! - and my hair does seem happier overall since joining LHC. In comparison to most people I know I take a lot of supplements, and fish oil seems to make the biggest difference to both skin/scalp health, mood, and general well being. Biotin also made a huge difference in stopping my postnatal shed.

I think healthier people look healthy, and that mostly means healthy hair and skin. Drinking lots of water, not smoking, and taking care of your hair and skin do make a difference
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

My hair shines more and grows faster when I eat healthy. I eat healthy most of the time. When I don't eat healthy I see that not only on the scale but also in my hair.

Length
    3 in./BSL/TLB
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

I think it depends on what your body needs and what it's missing.
    For ex. you could eat a balanced diet + a bunch of junk food and I think your hair will grow just fine. But if you only eat junk and not much healthy food then it won't grow to it's full potential.

My eating is pretty balanced but I do notice that my hair grows faster in the winter and I suspect that it's because I eat eggs for breakfast in the winter much more than I do in summer.

Length
    1.25/4.25/BSL+
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I have been following a primal/paleo diet for a couple of months now and have noticed a great improvement in hair growth. It's like super-charged right now. So I would agree that diet has a direct impact. When you include "junk" in your diet that also has a direct impact - for the worse. And I don't think that the "junk" is harmless even in the presence of healthy food either.
    Growing out again since August 2019
    pixie
    ~ cl ~ sl ~ apl ~ bsl ~.......?

Length
    0.5"/21/28
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

I've noticed that having a regular meal schedule has improved the health of my hair, and indeed my health overall. My last job was shift based so I was eating here and there, and whatever I could, whereas now I am on regular hours and can plan meals it is a lot better. Eating relatively well three times a day has made signifcant difference, and my new growth is coming in a lot shinier and thicker.

Of course this isn't a linear cause and effect, my sleeping pattern has improved and I have started regular exercise as well, which I believe, alongside my better eating has had a noticeable effect.

warm weather enthusiast mrs_coffee's Avatar
    Length
    PIXIE/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

My hair always looks and feels the best when I eat quality protein and lots of healthy fat. I think it's probably an individual thing, as diets tend to be. I think the best thing to do is experiment and keep track of how your hair and skin and nails respond.

Type
    2b/F/M/iii

I think it affects hair more if you're eating less than what it needs, then it sheds. Eating a few fast foods once in a while won't hurt much. You're still getting the proteins and fats needed.