Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maintaining Thickness

Length
    28/28/52
    Type
    4a/4b/M/iii

Default Maintaining Thickness

How can one maintain or promote one's thickness from root to tip? I wonder if anyone who is also concerned with avoiding fairy tale ends would like to brainstorm with me (or share, if they have already discovered a way to maintain thickness). Clearly, cutting off the tapered ends is one approach, but I am thinking of how to avoid the need for cutting in the first place by promoting thickness as the hair grows out.

Is there anyone whose hair used to taper, but no longer does?

Also, can hair taper for reasons other than damage or heavy shedding? I used to think that taper (aka "fairy tale ends") was a sign of damage, but since joining this forum, I have come across women who seem knowledgeable and who have hair that seems healthy, yet their hair still tapers a lot. Granted, their hair could be damaged on the ends.

Length
    pixie/Nape/25+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Maintaining Thickness

Not being an expert I would say that S&D can lead to different tapers, as can purposeful layers. As can damage/weathering of the ends, since they are oldest. I think a nice blunt hemline can help with the 'appearance' of thicker hair. But getting hair to have the same circumference from root to tip is still a mystery, to me anyway Some folks, myself included, use Henna or Henna glosses to get some extra thickness.

Oh, and - some people like fairy-tale ends, they have the taper on purpose
    Last edited by aenflex; November 3rd, 2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: add
    We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves. - Dalai Lama

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Niwa View Post
    Also, can hair taper for reasons other than damage or heavy shedding? I used to think that taper (aka "fairy tale ends") was a sign of damage, but since joining this forum, I have come across women who seem knowledgeable and who have hair that seems healthy, yet their hair still tapers a lot. Granted, their hair could be damaged on the ends.
    Some people have a taper no matter what. Hair does not have to be blunt-cut and thick-ended to be healthy. I speak from experience. Thanks.

Length
    28/28/52
    Type
    4a/4b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by OhioLisa View Post
    Some people have a taper no matter what. Hair does not have to be blunt-cut and thick-ended to be healthy. I speak from experience. Thanks.
    Yes, as I observed in my post, it does seem some people's hair just tapers naturally. Your hair is no less beautiful for its taper, however. The updos in your signature are gorgeous.

Do you have any ideas on why your hair tapers naturally? For instance, might it be that different parts of your hair have different terminal lengths?

Type
    1a/M/ii

I have considerable taper (hopefully most of it is from pre-LHC damage), I plan to start trimming more regularly after I reach classic to try and thicken up the ends, as that's the only way I know of to try and reduce taper, but that slows down the growth considerably... I wish there was a way to avoid taper completely, that would be awsome

Length
    21/47.5/?
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

A taper on healthy hair is a sign of different terminal lengths of individual hairs. Basically, some hairs finish their growth cycle faster than others. So, to avoid taper, you must keep your hair trimmed to the length of the shortest terminal hair shaft. As to how to determine that - observation!

Also, you could look into supplements that can prolong a hair's lifecycle. I read that MSM has that effect, but some people believe that it can also lead to very many hairs shedding at the same time after a prolonged life...

Protecting the ends wouldn't hurt, either. Protective updos, gentle handling, oiling... Obviously, do not S&D individual splits but have regular blunt trims. However, ultimately, the taper is about individual hairs' terminal lengths.

BTW, I personally appreciate the fairy tale ends look, as is obvious from my siggy (including the link to the No Trimming Club)!

❀☾ⓟᵃᵑᵈᵒᴿᵃ ℒᵒᵑᶢᶩᵒᶜᵏᶳ☽❁ princessp's Avatar
    Length
    27"/39"/42"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I have curly ends, so it is hard to see if I have a taper or fairy tales. My hair is past waist. Once I feel like my dry hair has reached tailbone (it is there when wet), I guess I'll have to re-evaluate and maybe do a trim to thicken my hemline. I haven't cut my hair since last March. I'm very interested to hear what others have done to thicken theirs.
    Pandora LongLocks of the Forbidden Treasure in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Niwa View Post
    Do you have any ideas on why your hair tapers naturally? For instance, might it be that different parts of your hair have different terminal lengths?
    Might be. But one of the main reasons is that hair is constantly growing, shedding, regrowing. Once a hair has reached the end of its growth cycle it stops growing and after a couple of weeks it falls out. After a while a new hair starts growing from the same follicle. See, it STARTS growing - it isn't magically long the first moment it surfaces. And at the same time the other hairs on the head all are of a different age - and thus of a different length.
    In fact, the only way to have hair of only one length on your head would be to somehow synchronise the growth cycles of all your hairs. But then they also would all fall out at the same moment and you'd be bald.
    How much taper you have depends on genetics too. Some people do have a lot and some hardly have any taper at all. Not fair.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

The only way I know to keep ends on the thick side is regular small trims. Each hair on your head has its own growth cycle. Some grow faster, some grow slower, some grow for a longer period of time, others grow for only a few months to a couple of years, then shed out.

Trimming keeps more hairs on the same level. Nearly everybody I have ever seen who did not trim had a lot of taper no matter how healthy the hair. But in spite of trimming, I think that most people are going to develop at least somewhat of a taper because the percentage of hairs that stay on your head long enough to gain the most length is going to be smaller in percentage than hairs that shed out sooner at shorter lengths.

It looks like I have a large percentage of hairs that will get to waist length, and from there the thickness tapers out in spite of trimming. At nearly classic length (picture in my growing concern album), the ends are see-through on the left side (right side is thicker).

Length
    SL/23.5"/30"
    Type
    3c/M/C/ii

Here are a few ideas:
    Take MSM, Biotin and B-Vitamins - these vitamins are great for prolonging the hair growth cycle and promoting thicker, fuller hair growth. Taken together seems to give the best results. (Consult your doctor first before starting a vitamin regimen)

Ditching the shampoo - Regular shampooing is an American/Western trend that is pretty much misleading towards getting healthy, thick hair. Hair only really needs to be washed twice a week, or even less, and you don't have to use shampoo. I know many Indian women (who are known for their lush hair) who wash weekly to every two weeks with herbs that they prepare at home and various ingredients. Shampoo strips the cuticle and dries out hair. Most people can get away with not shampooing and using natural alternatives (hint: Most, some have to have shampoo).

Scalp Massages - Whether you use oil or not, scalp massages can be very helpful. Some use a brush to stimulate their scalp, while others just use their fingers. However you do it, it can definitely help stimulate bloodflow (while also being very relaxing). Oils are great too! Some use olive and jojoba oil (for moisture), castor oil (for a clean scalp/thickening) and coconut oil (for stronger roots and hair).

Eating differently - Foods high in proteins and antioxidants are great for hair growth while cutting back on bad things that compromise growth. Excess sugar and bad fats aren't good for hair growth. Eating more dark, leafy greens and beans (I <3 beans!), lentils, other legumes are great. People may avoid this step, but it is probably the most essential step towards thick hair and a healthy body overall.

A good cut (or trim) - Keeping the hair trimmed is very helpful, but not too often. Search and Destroy method may be nice for maintaining length, but it also causes the hair to taper (if you're not into that). It's just best to cut all of the hair evenly if you want the hair to appear thick and cut it as it grows to keep it that way. If you're taking care of your hair, you won't need to cut any more.

Maintenance and regular daily styling - Avoid too tight hair styles (like braids or tightly pulled-back styles) and avoid heat and opt for air drying. Wearing hair looser can help, whether down or up.

*phew* that was a lot of stuff! Anywho, HTH!
    <--FYI, the avatar is me, just wearing a wig, my protective style of choice