Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aunt hates long hair??

Angry Aunt hates long hair??

Well today, my aunt was adrmiring my sisters below bsl hair. We were saying how it desperately needed a trim, and then she turned to mine and said, 'wow, it's getting long - i liked it short.'. It was kind of blunt and awkward, seeing as she started to say how long hair was tacky. She is the kind of person who cannot be persuaded, and when i was younger with hip-length hair, she actually came with scissors to cut it. What should I dooo?? I think I am resorting to wearing updos whenever i see her :O Any help? Thanks. Just a rant

Type
    2a/2b/F/iii

Default Re: Aunt hates long hair??

Quote Originally Posted by Barniie View Post
    Well today, my aunt was adrmiring my sisters below bsl hair. We were saying how it desperately needed a trim, and then she turned to mine and said, 'wow, it's getting long - i liked it short.'. It was kind of blunt and awkward, seeing as she started to say how long hair was tacky. She is the kind of person who cannot be persuaded, and when i was younger with hip-length hair, she actually came with scissors to cut it. What should I dooo?? I think I am resorting to wearing updos whenever i see her :O Any help? Thanks. Just a rant
    I'm rather blunt with my family, I would simply have said 'thanks for your opinion... now that it's been stated, it doesn't ever have to be repeated.' As to the scissors... I'd literally threaten bodily harm if they came within arms reach - and they know I'd follow through. (I'm not saying you should do either, this is simply how I am with my family. I can't stand the majority of them, it's like a bunch of friggin' Neanderthals.)

Maybe if you said something along the lines of 'No offense, auntie, but it's my hair, and I like it long, and that's all that matters,' and you keep repeating it, it would get her to back off? Or try enlisting your parents to tell her to back off - you're not her kid, so her opinion should pretty much be null and void anyways.

In the South where grits are a staple and frog legs are a delicacy.
    Length
    <1"/waist/btsme
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Barniie, my mother is the same way. She'd have a fit if my daughter cut her tailbone hair because the kiddo has always had it long. I, on the other hand, went from waist to less than an inch and now it's back to BSL+. Mom is always making little comments on how much better it looked short. Well, too bad! You just gotta stand your ground and tell your Aunt that you like your hair just the way it is. She'll most likely still make comments, but you'll find comfort in being frank.

Flying the friendly skies CrisDee's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/UBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

There are several threads similar to this - wow, it's amazing how many people have it etched in stone in their minds that once you hit puberty, you're not allowed to have long hair! However, for an aunt (I'm assuming not your mother or primary caregiver, someone who doesn't even live with you!) to come at you with scissors is highly inappropriate. I would simply keep my distance from her, it sounds like she has some serious boundary issues.

RIP, Manatawny's Sterling Slam Dunk, call name Mutombo. 6/24/2001 - 6/24/2013. Best. Dog. Ever.

My mother hates long hair too, but i really don't care about her opinion about this, cause i experience much more attention, and i like it much more. She also dislike longhair on girls too, but i love girls with extremely long length hair.

Length
    Short/Knee/???
    Type
    1b/M/ii

You do not have a nice aunt. I would always wear my hair in a updo if she is coming. There is nothing wrong with long hair. If you like it you must keep it.

Length
    Pixie/knee/???
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Maybe this is one of those situations where you can learn how to stand your ground without too much misery for all concerned. Getting in a bit of practice saying no is not a bad thing, it's a useful skill that more people should have. You have the right to wear your hair how you like it, regardless of everyone else's opinions.

I remember my own aunts sniping about, well, the fact that I exist, and it always kind of hurt my feelings. I don't know what their issues are, but I've learned that since I see them so seldom, it doesn't really matter what they think of me (or my hair, LOL!)

Length
    SL/SL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I seems everyone around me hates my hair long, and uncolored and has no problems offering up their opinions. I hear it from my mom, co-workers, etc. My response? "Are we giving unsolicited opinions on the way each other looks? I have a few things I could say but never have in the interest of being polite." That ends the topic immediately.

It used to bother me until I realized that people with hair I admired, always admired mine. Since then, I chalk it up to jealousy and move on!

Length
    -Chin/WL/HL
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii/iii

All of my family love long hair but my friends don't, and if any of them came near me with scissors then I would practise my Karate on them. Don't listen to your aunt.
    Chin ~Shoulder~ APL ~ BSL~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL

Length
    1"/SL/APL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

I get a lot of this too, mainly due to being male. Sadly I have very low self-esteem, and I've been reduced to crying a few times when people comment on it.

Most of the time I put it down to general misunderstanding. A lot of the world hasn't come to terms with long hair having anything to do with men, and while girls with short hair has certainly become acceptable now, sadly I don't see the opposite being true for a while yet. I don't think it's jealousy, either.

Some people don't mind that it's long, they just keep saying I should get a style. But if you do get a style (the word makes me shudder), then that's at least a couple of years down the drain to try and grow it back if you get bored of it. I like to stand out, but not in the way that you have a crazy hairstyle that kills your hair every time you style it. I'd definitely put most of these situations down to jealousy.