Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Darn it ! Maybe need to change my new routine....

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Unhappy Darn it ! Maybe need to change my new routine....

I am having cone frustrations

I quit using cones and my hair looks awesome. My texture has come alive and I have been celebrating my wavy, slightly frizzy, big hair. BUT, when I get out of the shower it is near impossible to detangle my hair, to the point that I worry I may be causing damage. It doesn't matter which non-cone conditioner I use, thirty minutes later I am still trying to gently detangle. Its driving me nuts !

Last night I went back to cones just to see what would happen. I got out of the shower and had my hair detangled within five minutes. Yay !!! BUT, once my hair dried I was not impressed. It's flatter, less wave. Not as full and pretty.
    *sigh*

Anyone else experienced this ???
    Any suggestions ?

Length
    chin/33/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Darn it ! Maybe need to change my new routine....

Yup. I have the same problem, although currently I am using a lot of cones to get flatter hair, I prefer it fuller, but I'm super busy at the moment, so it's nice to have hair more controlled.

When I don't use cones though I like Giovanni's Direct Leave in Weightless Conditioner. Or sometimes I just use a lighter cone conditionner.

Length
    14/31/43+
    Type
    1a/1b/M/i/ii

I just went through this. Detangling wasn't too terrible, but my hair felt like it was drier and I tried going back to using cones as an experiment. I thought it was great, until I saw a picture of my hair, which compared to the last one I'd taken, my hair looked flat, dull and greasy.

I'm now back off the cones and my nephew has literally been petting me all day and telling me how soft my hair is. So I think I'm off them for good. My current theory is that maybe I wasn't oiling enough. But I'm still pretty much a newbie here, so hopefully someone else has some actual suggestions.

But you're not alone!
    ~Lydia

It's been a long colorful journey.

Length
    9"/12"/?
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii/iii

What conditioner are you using? Detangling has gotten easier for me since I started using GVP Conditioning Balm (the generic Matrix Biolage stuff at Sally's), and weekly SMTs seem to help a bit.

Rodent Of Unusual Size Capybara's Avatar
    Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

My hair is straighter without cones as well, but, because I mostly wear it up, I don't usually mind. Love the waves with no cone though! Maybe you could detangle thoroughly before the shower, and then handle your hair as little as possible while in the shower to deter any further tangling? Or, would using a shampoo with cones but a conditioner without cones work? I'm interested in a solution to this as well.

And aside, your hair looks full and pretty no matter what It's frustrating when it doesn't do what we want it to, but you have gorgeous locks nonetheless
    I feel like a longhair again! Retire Your Ruler for 90 Days!

Length
    16/28BSL/Waist
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I have the same issue - I haven't really nailed it down a solution yet - but here is my advice:

- clarify as needed
    - deep oiling on wet hair before shampooing (my hair like olive oil)
    - acid rinse, ACV (I'm also trying coffee this week cause I hate the smell of ACV)

Account Closed by Member Request

How about a leave in?

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by prosperina View Post
    When I don't use cones though I like Giovanni's Direct Leave in Weightless Conditioner.
    Me too and I think it does a pretty good job, considering it is cone free.

I also wonder if a good detangling before the shower might help?

I have super fine hair curly hair which tangles easily. I don't know if it is a recommended practice, but I use a wide tooth comb in the shower after my cone-free shampoo has been saturating my hair for a few minutes. This has helped me greatly.

Length
    21in/36in/40in
    Type
    2a/M/iii

When I started using shampoo bars I had to give up on combing after showering. If I wait till my hair is completly dry and brush then it goes wonderfully, any attempt before and its like trying to comb glue out of my hair, lol.
    Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might have the Hair I wish for tonight!

Length
    ?/36"/??
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i

NEECOLA, I think you may be my hair twin! =) (My avatar is straightened)
    I 2nd the leave in conditioner but I don't have any cone free suggestions. Oil isn't a great suggestion because your hair won't be as big but my cousin (she's my stylist) suggested I use jojoba oil or almond oil because it's a lighter oil. I haven't used it yet so not sure what that would do to the volume of your curls. Maybe just enough to shine your palms and then finger comb in enough to run a comb through while it's wet without yanking your hair out and then scrunch like crazy as it dries?