Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Happening, Help!

Default What's Happening, Help!

I just took my hair down to S&D, I've got less split ends but more breakage. I've been bunning my hair for a week with metal free hair bands and doing side plaits with it tied only at the ends at nights for bed. What could be causing the brakage? I don't tie it that tight.

Length
    Short/Knee/???
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: Whats Happening, Help!

My hair also breaks. It is older. Maybe you can use a repair creme.

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

Maybe your hair is damaged and fragile from the past. Have you bleached or permed your hair?

Chin /// Shoulder /// APL /// BSL ///Waist /// Hip /// BCL /// Tailbone /// Classic (final goal) /// All one length Classic

Keep in mind, you cannot "repair" splits or damage, and most products claiming to be "reconstructors" or "repair creme" or something like that are generally silicone loaded products to coat your hair and hide the damage. Not my first choice, and sometimes that can cause further damage several miles down the road.
    Perhaps at night something is going on and is pulling at your hair? Catchy/rough pillow case? Maybe the ties are rubbing against the ends of your hair in your sleep somehow. I used to sleep with side plaits tied the same way and experienced similar breakage, and lots of little one-inch pieces falling in to the sink every morning.
    And be careful how you remove the ties in both the plaits and buns.

Thanks for all your replies

Length
    18"/hip/class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: What's Happening, Help!

I agree with JenniferNoel and think any hair bands can cause damage, I use old tights at night cut up and then I oil the tip of the braid to sleep in!
    an 8 year journey, with a 3 year stop at waist. Traveling along to classic. F/M 2a/b iii 31.5" January 2013http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ge=7&p=2371372 a year without trims ....trying!

Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Dreams_in_Pink View Post
    Maybe your hair is damaged and fragile from the past. Have you bleached or permed your hair?
    If that's the case, I recommend a protein treatment (followed by moisture as they should be). Or if you stretch a strand and snaps too fast or stretches too much. Breakage usually respond well to protein.

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I'm not one to analyze EVERY little thing that could damage my hair, but in the end, I have realized that hairties are often damaging. Yes, even the "hair safe" ones. I still use them, but only if I have to for the style I want. For buns, I switched to spin pins entirely, which cause NO damage. I still use hair ties for pigtails, ponytails and Gibson tucks. I also never tighten my ponytail (pulling the ends apart to slide the hairtie up the tail), which I feel is the equivalent of teasing on a micro-level.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

JenniferNoel and Jojo have covered all the bases I can think of, except; I know they're not all that fashionable (and I don't know how much that matters to you), but perhaps switch to a satin or silk scrunchie instead of hairties? Even if it was just for the sleep braid, it'd be a bit kinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreams_in_Pink View Post
    My hair is 100% virgin.