Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I do it??

Length
    chin/bsl/class
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Should I do it??

Most of you have seen my homage to black hair thread and I am seriously considering going black with something like manic panic or sfx (both of these dys seems to really stick to my hair).

I know there will be alot of upkeep but no bleaching as I natural have blonde hair. I jsut dont know if I would suit it. I have very pale skin and blue and curly hair that is currently a copperish colour. I presumed if I dyed it black I would have a bit of a snow white thing going on.

There are some pics in my album, opinions or adive pweaaassse ??

Length
    18"/hip/class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Should I do it??

Well I love your red and have looked at your photos and think black may be a little too harsh but a chocolate brown would be more flattering for your skin tone or even a dark auburn. I like the reds on you because it really emphasises your beautiful eyes; the thing with black is it can harden features if your naturally fair haired and its the most difficult hair dye to remove.

Good luck whatever you decide and remember we love photos!
    an 8 year journey, with a 3 year stop at waist. Traveling along to classic. F/M 2a/b iii 31.5" January 2013http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ge=7&p=2371372 a year without trims ....trying!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Try on a wig or drape some black material over your head first. I have a feeling that black might be too harsh for your coloring, but I'm not a good visualizer.

Length
    19"/Dunno/5yrs
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I think if you want to try it, then try a temp black dye. If it ends up looking too harsh, it washes out. When I was much younger I was obsessed with wanting to dye my hair brown, and when I finally did (with a temp dye), I thought it was nice in a novel way (and I still appreciate beautiful honey-brown and brunette color), but in the end, I stuck with my regular haircolor! You just might feel the same, and that's perfectly okay.
    Be Good & Do Good
    Lady Leona of Regulus-in-the-Night in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

I kind of agree with the others about the black maybe being a bit much. But I like what spider mom said... Try something on with black... a wig or something. Of maybe some can photoshop you with black hair (any takers? I'm not good at that!)

I love the red on you, I almost can picture you blonde! But I think a chocolate brown could be nice on you too!

Length
    Pixie/Jaw/BSL
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Well I love black hair on pale skin with blue eyes (it's what I have! ) but unless you're 100% sure then don't use a permanent dye.
    I tried on a black wig before I took the plunge and wore it a few days to be sure. Also manic panic usually fades out pretty good so that might be a good option. I don't know about the MP though since I've never used the black.

I feel like my black hair does something for my coloring that my boring mousey brown didn't. I also suggest dying your eyebrows if you do it. I didn't the first couple of weeks and it was super obvious that I dyed my hair since they were very light. Now it looks more natural.

Length
    SL/SL/long!
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

I used to dye my hair black and I'm naturally blonde- there's an old pic in my album.

I loved it at the time, I think that gothic look of black hair and pale skin and eyes is very attractive, but I found it very high maintenence, not only in terms of doing the roots, but dying my eyebrows and lashes to match, and wearing makeup everyday- with face makeup to even my complexion and dark gothic eyemakeup my blue eyes "popped", but without it I looked awful and ill, so I felt naked without my face on- something to consider if you don't normally wear makeup.

You'll also damage your hair quite a bit if you ever decide to go back to your roots as you'll need to heavily bleach it- I grew my hair out a few inches and got a pixie to go back to my roots after a few years. You don't have to be that dramatic though, in hindsight (after I discovered I really don't suit short hair...!)I would have bleached it first then probably leave it as long as I could with it looking okay, at least a long bob, to get rid of most of the damage.
    12 year old me with my wee bro in 1992- I want this hair back!!!

Length
    22"/45"/45"
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I would definitely go for it if it's something you think you will like, but just make sure to use the manic panic or something temporary so that way your not stuck with it if you hate it. As for the pale skin and dark hair I think that it's absolutely beautiful to see that, but then again I'm sort of gothic in my tastes so not everyone always likes that. You will have to show us pictures if you decide to do it : )

Be who you are... those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Length
    16/28BSL/Waist
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Although I don't have exactly the same coloring as you, I am very pale also and when I dyed my hair black I found that it really made my features pop, but that it also washed me out a lot. I found that i had to wear a lot more make up than before to look the way I wanted to look and that got old. Also when I decided to go a shade closer to my natural colour it was very hard to strip the black out. In the end it just seemed like the way black hair looked on women who naturally had it was never going to be how it was going to look on me - I was always going to look a bit fake, and I didn't care for that. In the end I went back to my natural colour and have been very happy with the way it makes my skin look.

I wouldn't do it again myself, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. I agree about trying on a wig for a while, or consider gradually going darker and darker...