Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growing out pixie - layers?

Length
    1/4"/BSL/class
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Default Growing out pixie - layers?

I've been growing out a very short pixie for about a year and 3 months. I've went from 1/4" to about 1" past shoulder at my longest layer and about 1/2" past chin length at my shortest layers (just around my face). I haven't trimmed or cut my hair at all since growing it out.

I'm thinking about having my layers cut/styled/cleaned up a bit? I'm very apprehensive though - I've worked very hard to grow my hair and I'm paranoid that I'd go in and lost a lot of my length. My hair doesn't look bad, but anyway....

Should I just continue to let my hair grow or trim it? What's your opinions/experiences? I'm pretty sure I'm just going to let it grow with maybe some S/D, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe

Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: Growing out pixie - layers?

If you can live with it as-is, then leave it alone. If you could find a clear photo of a style you would like, you could take it to someone you know without a doubt you can trust. Otherwise, let it grow. Whatever you do, don't walk into a cheap chain and ask them to clean it up for you. They'll cut it up to your chin every time. I had hair past my shoulders grown from a pixie and asked for layers. She cut it like Carol Brady exactly only dorkier and with bangs halfway up my forehead. I cried when I walked outside. Did I scare you? Good.
    Maybe my worst haircut ever.
    Cleaned up and collar length by Christmas

Length
    .05/25.5/45
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii/iii

When growing out my hair I always cut the hairs in the back or the lower layers. I never really cut anything besides the hair below my ears. However, that was when it was around 3-4 inches. You have the ability to pull it back at shoulder length, it might be worth it to keep growing it. However if you feel you wear your hair down most of the time it might be in your best interest to get it 'shaped' up (I know how those pesky layers can look awkward quick!). Anyway, you have a while to go before your goal, might as well enjoy your hair as you get there.

Banned
    Length
    chin/27bsl/tbl
    Type
    1c/F/M/i

Grow it out. Definitely.

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

My daughter just spent two years growing out an inverted bob and it was really helpful to have the layers cleaned up and give it a bit more shape so she could live with it while it was growing. We had it trimmed three times in all and it made a world of difference. Not all stylists will chop your hair off, plenty of them have grown out one style or another and completely understand. Go to someone experienced and be very clear about what you want.
    Good luck !!

If it doesent look bad, definitely grow it out.

Length
    12/25/35
    Type
    2a/M/i/ii

If it's not bothering you then just leave it for a while, enforce the two week rule.
    Chin - Shoulder - APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - Tailbone
    - No Heat - Veggie Dyes - No Cuts -

Length
    pixie/Shldr/Clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Hello

I too am growing out a pixie, I'm currently at 7 months withoiut trimming at all!

It may look weird for a while but if you leave it without trimming, you will be able to do things with it much faster. At 7 months I can do a ponytail and twisty updos and whatnot. If I would have trimmed off some of the weird layers I wouldnt have been able to.
    ~~Lady Cēphisso of the Evercolor Inkwells in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~~
    Shoulder!!!!...on my way to Classic!

I decided to be happy. Henrietta's Avatar
    Length
    27.6/44.0/44.0
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

If it doesn't look bad, doesn't stick out in million directions, you don't mind it, you feel fine with it- grow it! You can fix layers later. Maybe you would decide to have straight hemline. And if it is *ok*- leave it and grow.
    Here is my ISO post. I'm looking for a small (12.5 cm) SenzaLimiti KPO and a 3-prong CrockettMountainWoodworks acrylic fork

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I would grow as long as I could stand it, then have a little trim to even things up, so that it looked more like a style and less like a growing-out lack of style.