Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not dyed - why is my hair 2-toned?

Length
    SL/MB/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/iii

Red face Not dyed - why is my hair 2-toned?

I had a co-worker take a picture of my hair to post on here and I noticed that it's a different color at the scalp than at the ends. I haven't colored my hair in years. What could be causing it?

I usually use a curl-enhancing product of some sort, like Catwalk's Curls Rock and that makes it much curlier. But today, I just washed, conditioned and let it air-dry to get an accurate idea of my hair's natural state. Could the products I've been using effect the color of my hair?

Here's the pic:

::Slice of Sunshine Pie:: adiapalic's Avatar
    Length
    33.5"/48"/?
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Not dyed - why is my hair 2-toned?

I actually posted on the "ombre hair" thread on this yesterday. Ombre hair is the intentional color change of the ends from the new-growth--looks like colored hair growing out.

If your ends are lighter than the new growth, it's most likely caused from exposure to sunlight. Over time the older hair gradually becomes more and more sun-bleached. My hair is like this, actually.
    Lady Siduri, Keeper of the Ever-Blooming Garden in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Yes, sun and overall "damage" - as in just, regular wear and tear, no need for the hair to be really damaged for the colour to change. As your hair grows longer, you'll see the ends become lghter and lighter in comparison to roots. May be more or less noticeable depending on the colour / sturdiness to begin with.

Queen of Apathy HairColoredHair's Avatar
    Length
    short/knee/???
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Sunlight!

If you're a swimmer it might be even more pronounced.

I noticed (before I hennaed my hair) that my tips were blonde, but my roots were brown... all from sunlight and swimming, by my guess.
    Fav Products: Honey and Horn Combs! Current Length: Just above knee (a 'little' trim)
    Goal: Uh... Moo!

Length
    3"/APL/Butt
    Type
    3a/3b/F/i

oo I love the ombre! now I dont have to feel the need to run out and dye my hair - I can just blame my super dark roots and red ends on the trend
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Finding Best Hair Length! LadyLongLocks's Avatar
    Length
    36"/75"/Long!
    Type
    1a/1b/M/iii

Try taking an outdoor photo. My hair looks all different in different lighting. Sometimes my hair looks brown on top and it isn't. Try outdoor. Dont let one photo freak you out!
    How does it look in a mirror?

Length
    BSL/Chin/?
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Definitely sun - in my avatar the lower parts actually have faded semi-permanent black, but they are much brighter than the roots.

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

i vote sun bleaching.. its the reason i continue to henna my hair.. my hair is chestnut brown at the scalp and fades to red and eventually strawberry blond on the ends..
    can i call this classic length

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Totally normal. I describe my natural color as blondish-brownish-reddish because even in a pixie cut, it refuses to stay just one color. Near my temples, my hair is blonde, often sunbleached to almost platinum. The main parts of my hair are colors ranging from light brown to dark ash brown. And there are sections that have just plain red highlights.

The number one reason I am likely to dye my hair is to get the damn stuff to be one color. I usually end up going for something a lot darker than my natural color, so I don't look so monochrome... which sounds weird . But near-black hair ends up acting like a black outline on a drawing, it brings all the details into focus. Despite the red tones in my hair, red doesn't tend to work on me. My skin is too pink, and my hair is really enthusiastic about helping red to wash out. My hair cheerfully bleaches to various shades of golden blonde on its own, but then I tend to look even more monochrome than usual.

And if you look, even people with *very* dark hair tend to have shading. It's pretty unusual to have hair that is naturally just one color.

BTW your hair is glorious, two toned and all

Quote Originally Posted by torrilin View Post
    It's pretty unusual to have hair that is naturally just one color.
    Yeah and I believe that's reason number one for dyed hair to look "fake".