Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My natural haircolour - it stinks! Help me dye it

Length
    48 cm/86 cm/100+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Angry My natural haircolour - it stinks! Help me dye it

So, after over a year of growing out henna, I've tried to appreciate my natural colour. I've tried real hard to accept and love it. I've even tried to delude myself into liking it. But, in the end, I don't. I despise it!
    My dream hair is the colour I had as a little girl, golden blonde and light. Not this (sorry for the blurriness):

(Flash)

(No flash)

Sigh.
    I'm growing out henna, and while I didn't hate the colour (it's better than my natural...), I'd really like to hear if it's possible for me to at least go blonde again, even if it's dark blonde.
    I'm very afraid of dying, especially if it involves bleaching. My hair grows very slow, it has taken me 10 years to go from shoulder to bsl, and I would not like to start over.
    I've tried both honey lightning and cassia. They did nothing.

I have heard good words about Elumen. I know they don't lighten hair, but is it possible that it could turn my hair more towards blonde?
    Are there other alternatives? Any alternatives at all?
    Please help!

ETA: When I talk about dying, I mean only the virgin hair. I'll let the henna grow out.
    Last edited by Konstifik; September 21st, 2010 at 12:58 AM.
    Chat with your fellow LHC'ers via IRC? CLICK HERE!

Length
    29/17/30
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: My natural haircolour - it stinks! Help me dye it

You could try honey lightening or cassia for your virgin hair, but I think you have to bleach to cover henna?
    I think your natural colour is beautiful!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Not that I have a lot of personal experience with this, but from what I've learned here at LHC:
    1) You can't get a lighter color without bleach or peroxide, although a few people have had success with honey lightening. You might be able to push it more toward a shade you like with Elumen or some other hair color, however.

2) Henna is stubborn. You won't get rid of it without destroying your hair. It's always going to glow through whatever dye you choose. When I didn't like my henna, I merely let it grow out and trimmed it off. Over time, the line of demarcation became more and more blurred until I couldn't tell where the hennna ended and my own color began. However, I only applied it once.
    Last edited by spidermom; September 20th, 2010 at 02:06 PM.

Length
    48 cm/86 cm/100+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Harriet View Post
    You could try honey lightening or cassia for your virgin hair, but I think you have to bleach to cover henna?
    I think your natural colour is beautiful!
    Thanks! Forgot to add to my original post - I've tried them both. They did nothing. >.<

Length
    48 cm/86 cm/100+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Not that I have a lot of personal experience with this, but from what I've learned here at LHC:
    1) You can't get a lighter color without bleach or peroxide, although a few people have had success with honey lightening. You might be able to push it more toward a shade you like with Elumen, however.

2) Henna is stubborn. You won't get rid of it without destroying your hair. It's always going to glow through whatever dye you choose. When I didn't like my henna, I merely let it grow out and trimmed it off. Over time, the line of demarcation became more and more blurred until I couldn't tell where the hennna ended and my own color began. However, I only applied it once.
    Thanks for your reply!
    Yeah, I know a dye can't lighten hair unless it contains peroxide. But I'd just like a more blonde shade, even if it's not lighter than my hair.

As for henna, yes I know I'll have to live with it until it grows away. ^^ I don't mind that really. I have patience. It's the virgin hair I dislike.

Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Your natural color is already pretty light (and I like it). I'm sure it would be possible to add some golden tones to it. A suggestion: Try a temporary dye that washes out in 6-10 shampoos first; see how it works for you.

Length
    48 cm/86 cm/100+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Your natural color is already pretty light (and I like it). I'm sure it would be possible to add some golden tones to it. A suggestion: Try a temporary dye that washes out in 6-10 shampoos first; see how it works for you.
    Good to hear it might be possible!
    Do you know of any dye that is the least damaging?

I'm sorry, I'm a total newbie when it comes to dyes outside of henna. ^^;;
    I'm not sure what the chemical dyes do to your hair. Is it drying? Permanent damage? Evil gnomes?

All I know is that it's possible to cause allergic reactions.

Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

The deposit-only dyes (which are not permanent) don't damage hair, at least not very much. I can't tell where you are from your location description, but in the US we have a product called Clairol Loving Care which washes out within about 2 weeks to a month. There are other brands, too; that's the only one I can think of right now.

TrudieCat

Your hair looks like it already is blonde to me. But if you want it lighter and you don't have luck with deposit only color, you might want to take a look at this thread for ways to reduce damage if you use a dye with peroxide.

Length
    23/48.5/55+
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Hi! Hairstylist here! I can echo what everyone else has said about having to bleach the henna, and if you want to get rid of it, that's what you'll have to do. As for your virgin hair, you can do whatever with that, and probably get very little damage. You could go several shades lighter, and to a more golden blonde on the virgin hair with a simple hair colour application, but, you'd still have all that red henna at the ends. If you're okay with a much more obvious line of demarcation as we call it, then I guess that is the way to go.

Are you interested in a DIY job, or are you considering getting it professionally done?

I can give you advice for either situation, just let me know.

Personally, and from a professional standpoint, I think in the end, you'd be happier either leaving your hair as is, or bleaching the henna to try and get a closer match to the colour you're going to dye the virgin hair, rather than just lightening the virgin hair, however, you'll know best if that is the case.

Good luck, and let me know if you'd like colour and brand advice for a DIY attempt.