Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Henna Heads, tell me why

Length
    20"/43"/40"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Default Henna Heads, tell me why

So I'm curious, why did you start using henna. Why do you still use henna?

I heard about dying hair with henna when I was pretty little. My aunt was studying to be a hair dresser and told my mom one day that you can color hair with henna. I don't know why that stuck with me, that's the only part of the conversation I remember.

Starting at LHC and reading about all the henna usage got me to reading and studying about it.

My natural color is a pretty color, I like it...on someone else. My natural color is milk chocolate brown with gold highlights. My skin tone is a light Native American red tone, my eyes are very dark brown, my eyebrows are almost black. Sadly my natural color looks like I bleach it. I started coloring my hair dark brown and auburn starting in my late teens, went through my 20's then at 31 I decided enough was enough.

Then on LHC I found all the wonderful benefits that henna imparts, strength, softness, shine etc and OMG it has the side effect of giving me that auburn I kept using chemical colorants to get for so long!

So for me my henna use is for the benefits, the color is an added bonus.

Tell me about your henna'd head
    I'm not ADHD, it's just... Do you like cookiesSewing Blog!

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Heh, I feel obligated to keep this really short because I think everyone and their sister has heard my story by now

For those that want the full story you can read it here. (For the record that is my old OLD mix. My current mix is 65%cassa, 35% henna and chamomile tea as a liquid).

I love henna because I get the red that I so dearly love (and more recently how to get the copper I so dearly love) without trashing my hair. I love the natural process, the mixing, the steeping of herbs and the feel of the mud.

Also, the time that's spent on me makes me feel just as pretty as the red hair. It's a beauty ritual that I enjoy, color aside.

I've always had a sort of mild strawberry blonde color, some people would call my hair red, and some would call it 'brond' (brown-blonde). But I always wanted it redder. Anne of Green Gables was my hero, I would have loved Gilbert for calling me carrots, lol. I've never used commercial dyes because I suffer from eczema and didn't want to even try them because I was worried I would react badly. I first heard about henna from the Just For Redheads catalog, and thought, hm, that's interesting. I thought it just gave your hair a red tint. Then a few years down the road I stumbled upon hennaforhair.com and saw all the before and after photos and was floored, these people were getting such an awesome color from a plant?! So I tried it soon after and have never loved my hair more. It makes it soft, and calms my frizz, and
    my hubby loves it too, he says 'it's really a wild red, almost metallic!' Henna is one of those things that really delivers, in my opinion. I'll be red till I'm dead.

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

I started going gray, in STRIPES, when i turned fourteen years old. My hair had been black, a dull black, but it was going paler, to this non-descript mouse color with white (and we're talking stark white) stripes.

Considering with this white stripe effect I get confused as my husbands MOTHER........ well I color, have been doing so for years.

Henna was my alternative when my scalp started becoming super sensitive to chemicals in dye.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    :(/:(/36"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I started because I was dyeing my hair black and the dye was making my scalp itch. I switched to the two-step henna/indigo thing. That was a bit much for me. Now I just use straight henna because I like how it gives my fine hair strength. I haven't even done an S&D in close to 18 months now but my ends are not trashed at all. My natural color is the kind of dark that is sometimes nearly black inside but very red outside. Henna gives me that, just more.
    Lady Chalchihuitlicue of the Flowing Waters in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    pixie/knee/knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I love all things red. It's my favorite color, hair and otherwise, and my natural color is very boring--extremely ashy light brown. I henna for the color, because it's something I can do myself at home and it doesn't make me nervous about what I'm putting on my head; the strength/softness/shine and everything else is wonderful, but secondary.

Plus I love the smell.

June 2007, May 2011

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I henna to cover grey.

I was blessed with medium-ish auburn hair anyway, but the grey is such a contrast to my natural color! I'm not crazy about it.

What I am crazy about his the conditioning, the strength, the shine and the deepening of my own red to something it's never naturally been. I don't like the burgundy tones, though, so I have lately been experimenting with honey lightening. This is taking me back to the natural color and making my hair a little more coppery, which I like very much.
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Length
    BSL/AP/-
    Type
    1b/M/ii

The biggest reason I started hennaing was that I hate my original hair colour. It's mousy. I love red, and as a person I'm far more fiery than what my own hair colour is so henna suits me just fine.

I used to dye my hair with box colours but dyeing and not taking care of my hair made it break to pieces so I stopped.

Length
    24/28/33.5
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

I don't recall when I first heard about it. I wasn't sure it would really be for me, because I'm a very dark blonde,and don't look good in orange. I came to the LHC, and noticed that someone used Avigal brown wanted to check out that possibility. I now henna gold morrocco method, which is really tumeric. So far I like this better, because the gold color really works for me, so I may stick with tumeric.
    [URL="http://Hair1.jpg"][SIGPIC]

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I use a henna-indigo mix to cover gray. I don't get fabulous coverage (and the indigo always fades), so it won't work when I have a lot more whites. For now, it's sufficient to make the whites blend in. I don't want to use chemical dyes because they'd probably trash my hair. The henna is redder than I'd prefer, but I have a decent amount of red in my hair already, so it's not super noticeable.

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters