Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I might have to go back to sulfates and cones =/ Thoughts?

Length
    36/42/42+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default I might have to go back to sulfates and cones =/ Thoughts?

I've just moved into a new apartment in the city. I previously lived in a fairly rural area with relatively soft water. I've been successfully using the CO method for washing my hair for nearly 9 months now and I love it. Except in these past couple of weeks since I moved my hair has been a nightmare!

I can't go longer than 2 days without washing it when previously I could easily go up to 6. My hair seems to have rejected half my conditioners as they now leave it feeling waxy, so I can't use any heavier conditions. Now my ends feel like velcro and rather fluffy. I've tried clarifying which works wonders for half a day, then my hair just feels very dry, but my scalp turns into a greaseball quickly.

It's doing my head in. I know the water is harder here, but surely it can't make that much of a difference. Plus my shower isn't as powerful which I guess makes rinsing conditioner out harder, but I can rinse for 20 minutes and still end up with waxy hair.
    So I'm tempted to go back to using sulfates and cones to try and tame my hair in this new environment. I don't want to say goodbye to stretching washes and CO, but it seems like I have no choice, something has to change. All the adverts for Herbal Essences Beautiful Ends seem to be calling me.

I'm probably going to henna this weekend so hopefully that'll help. I just wish my hair would behave!
    On the long journey past Classic length onto Knee length and happy hair....
    Heat free | La Riche Directions for Colour

Length
    10"/18"/BSL
    Type
    1b/F/i

Default Re: I might have to go back to sulfates and cones =/ Thoughts?

maybe you could try using a shampoo and conditioner combo that is all natural (and w/out sls and cones)? and try doing CWC with that for a while to see if you can reach some sort of normalcy? unfortunately its probably going to take a little trial and error but that doesnt mean you have to revert 100% to cones and SLS!

Length
    25 in/33 in/4ever
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

You can buy shower head attachments that soften your water.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I feel your pain - up until June this year, I've spent most of the past few years in Scotland with their lovely soft water, and my routine was so much easier there - a very gentle shampoo in a CWC routine worked wonders. Since moving home to Norfolk, where the water often comes out of the tap with a chalky cloud gathering in the glass, my hair's felt like it's needed clarifying almost constantly - waxy, lank, and weighed down.

I had to abandon my SLS-free, cone-free shampoo, in favour of Sainsbury's apple shampoo - still cone-free, but very definitely SLS. It is much cheaper though, which is some comfort. I generally use it diluted which helps; initially I used it as part of a 'normal' SC routine, but I've since managed to return to CWC, albeit with the harsher shampoo. I still get by with the same conditioner, but the results here are a bit different than with soft water - my hair seems more temperamental almost, it's much easier to get the balance wrong. Hopefully you'll find something that works for you before long.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Grrrrr....stupid hard water. Cones and sulfates are my only choice where I live too.

Length
    chin/hip/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

you might want to try washing your hair over a bucket to catch the water with and use distilled water. If you can stretch washes to 6 days, it might be worth the inconvenience of hanging your head over a bucket.
    *I'm opting out of the "friends" option for the time being...
    chin--flip--shoulder--APL--BSL--waist

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I hope you find a solution soon.

Length
    35/f'tip/clssc
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Have you tried ACV rinses? The acid might counter the effect of your hard water and get rid of that waxy feeling.

Also, as countryhopper said, rinsing with rainwater or distilled water should be doable - especially if you do scalp washes. Remember the length of your hair doesn't need to be washed every time you wash your head.

Good luck!

and PrinceVesuvius (Cat) PrincessBob's Avatar
    Length
    21"/70.5"/69"
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Try Trader Joe's, they have lots of SLS and Cone free products that might give your hair the care it needs?
    The Cereduin ♫Melody Maker♪ and Bard
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights and
    CrochetWizard
    Credit Avatar:LemonJolly 2015 / Credit Siggy: Snuggles, September 2015

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

It may be less the water change and more a build-up from CO'ing that just took this long to accumulate.

Instead of clarifying with a harsh shampoo that requires deep conditioning afterward and increases the cycle, try one for normal hair with few additives to help reduce conditioner residue and use lighter conditioners.

There is nothing wrong with sulfate shampoos. SLES ones are milder than SLS ones. All Herbal Essences shamoos use a combination of both and many here love them. I use one as a body wash in the shower and it, Colour Me Happy, does not dry out my skin. Not all cones build-up.