Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I just chelated with....

Account Closed by Member Request

Default I just chelated with....

A mixture of oils and 'clarified' with cub soda!

Yep. After posting asking for a good chelating shampoo, Ktani suggested I try Club Soda (aka soda water).

Club soda? On hair?

I was intrigued and excited...this meant that I didn't have to go out and buy an expensive chelating shampoo! But, I had to find a way to sneak a can of CS from the father in law....you see, he's very overprotective of his CS..

When I poured the can over my head after shampooing, it fizzed up like crazy! It was like a bubble party on my scalp! Woo! I conditioned afterwards and immediately felt a difference in the way my hair felt; it was smoother, lighter, sleeker and didn't feel as "bumpy" like it usually does.

After my hair dried (I used a microfiber hair wrap until it was damp),I did 2 English braids, put on my silk sleep cap and went to sleep. This morning, I noticed my hair feels light, smooth, bouncy and looks incredibly shiny.

A huge thanks to Ktani! Your wealth of knowledge has helped many with their hair!
    Last edited by little_cherry; September 12th, 2010 at 06:42 PM.

In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: I just chelated with....

Quote Originally Posted by little_cherry View Post
    Club soda!

Yep. After posting asking for a good chelating shampoo, Ktani suggested I try Club Soda (aka soda water).

Club soda? On hair?

I was intrigued and excited...this meant that I didn't have to go out and buy an expensive chelating shampoo! But, I had to find a way to sneak a can of CS from the father in law....you see, he's very overprotective of his CS..

When I poured the can over my head after shampooing, it fizzed up like crazy! It was like a bubble party on my scalp! Woo! I conditioned afterwards and immediately felt a difference in the way my hair felt; it was smoother, lighter, sleeker and didn't feel as "bumpy" like it usually does.

After my hair dried (I used a microfiber hair wrap until it was damp),I did 2 English braids, put on my silk sleep cap and went to sleep. This morning, I noticed my hair feels light, smooth, bouncy and looks incredibly shiny.

A huge thanks to Ktani! Your wealth of knowledge has helped many with their hair!
    You are most welcome! I am learning a lot from you too. I am so glad to hear that it worked so well for you.

Did you use coconut oil as a prewash treatment? It chelates copper and iron.

Soda water is not the same as club soda though. Club soda is buffered and its pH remains stable and very hair friendly.

I suggested club soda to help break up some minerals like calcium, not chelate although it may well do that too to some degree. Just what metals carbonic acid may chelate I am not sure of at this point. It appears that it can affect copper although it may not bind it completely. Club soda neutralizes chlorine.

You can follow all of that with Mariika's recipe for frizz control.
    Last edited by ktani; September 9th, 2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added link and text

Ktani,
    I was thinking of following with the lemon rinse this morning! I do have some of the lemon rinse in a mister bottle- will give it a try! The lemon rinse was lovely for my hair...these two would be perfect together.

I just took the can with me and kept it under running water to warm it up. I was very surprised to find out club soda and soda water were not the same thing. growing uo in Australia, there was no club soda....just soda water and mineral water. When I moved to Canada, I noticed there was no soda water, but instead there was club soda....again, an assumption of mine. I guess that means club soda is buffered and stays at a constant pH...and seltzer water isn't buffered having an unstable pH....just like aquariums.

I didn't have any coconut oil in my hair, but did have a mix of amla, henna oil (both with olive oil base), castor, vit e, sweet almond oils on my head.
    Last edited by little_cherry; September 9th, 2010 at 07:03 PM.

Ktani,
    I was thinking of following with the lemon rinse this morning! I do have some of the lemon rinse in a mister bottle- will give it a try! The lemon rinse was lovely for my hair...these two would be perfect together.

I just took the can with me and kept it under running water to warm it up. I was very surprised to find out club soda and soda water were not the same thing. growing uo in Australia, there was no club soda....just soda water and mineral water. When I moved to Canada, I noticed there was no soda water, but instead there was club soda....again, an assumption of mine. I guess that means club soda is buffered and stays at a constant pH...and seltzer water isn't buffered having an unstable pH....just like aquariums.

I didn't have any coconut oil in my hair, but did have a mix of amla, henna oil (both with olive oil base), castor, vit e, sweet almond oils on my head.
    Olive oil can chelate metal salts, not as much as coconut and argan oils. Amla chelates copper and iron. The other oils, no, not much if anything. That explains your results better.

I do not believe club soda chelates. It will break up other minerals though and calcium build-up from tap water can be a problem.
    Last edited by ktani; September 9th, 2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: added link

I had the big guns out and didn't even notice..it's so great to know that there is much more to the oils we use than meets the eye! Fantastic!

I had the big guns out and didn't even notice..it's so great to know that there is much more to the oils we use than meets the eye! Fantastic!
    I would say that your ammunition was mixed, lol. The big guns to me are coconut and argan oils. And club soda.

Type
    1c/M/i

?
    What's chelating? And what is club soda/soda water good for with the hair?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Girl Detective View Post
    ?
    What's chelating? And what is club soda/soda water good for with the hair?
    Thanks!
    Welcome to LHC!

Chelating binds and "removes" metal salts so that they to not react. Please read the blue links in this post, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...00&postcount=2

Here is the swimming article on club soda, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=115

And one on how chelating can be beneficial, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...nnovative.html
    Last edited by ktani; September 10th, 2010 at 05:46 AM. Reason: added links and text

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I would be vary if something fizzed up on my scalp.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Club soda is harmless to hair, neutralizes chlorine and can help break up mineral deposits.

Its stable pH 5 is very hair friendly, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...7&postcount=11, and follow-up, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...0&postcount=11.
    Last edited by ktani; September 10th, 2010 at 06:20 AM. Reason: added link and text