Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for stretching out washes?

Length
    tb/tb+/clssc
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Default Tips for stretching out washes?

Later this year I'm going to be living out of a suitcase for 6 weeks. It is most likely I won't be able to stick to my usual hair washing routine. I think time will probably be the main limiting factor, and I'm worried that even though I might be due for a wash, it might not be convenient.

So I was wondering if anyone had any handy tips for keeping hair looking and feeling good while extending the time between washes. I currently CWC once a week, and have good results with conditioner in the mister bottle between washes.
    Last edited by AprilElf; May 22nd, 2008 at 06:17 AM. Reason: changed 'wash' to 'CWC'

Length
    17"/30"/50"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Do you shampoo? If so, maybe dry shampoo could help? I've never tried it but I think that'll be my main suggestion!
    And of course no fiddling: combing and often redoing updos, running your fingers through your hair etc.. that helped me stretch out my washes..
    - "If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable"

Length
    tb/tb+/clssc
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Eeh-heh! I just popped back to say that I CWC. Doh - I knew I'd forgotten something important!

Thanks Guenever! Hopefully I'll be too busy to be fiddling with my hair.

Length
    16"/49+/-/?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

You may want to look into hair powder. Cornstarch can also be used for this. If I remember correctly, you put it on your scalp area, let it sit a bit then comb or brush it well. May take just as long as washing but you would be less the drying time. There may be some that require less manipulation after application.
    Irishred@>--;-- 2a f/M ii

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

ooohhh where you going? sorry im a nosey old bird

id say a dry shampoo too btw!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Posterchild for Monistat
    Length
    1"/26"/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

yepper i tried the cornstarch and it worked pretty good just make sure you shake it all out.
    i start by keeping my hair up in a smiple pony tail ( my hair isn't that long but gets greasy quick) for the first few day using head bands to acessorize, then i would move to head scarfs/bandanna what ever you call them i love to wear them when i don't have time for a wash. nobody knows and they look so cute
    Makeup Tutorials for the brave and colorful
    View the Monistat Tutorial
    here
    My Hair Blog:
    http://suicideseve.blogspot.com

Length
    28/32/36
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

Yeah Where are you going? LoL. I take Cetaphil for my face on the road, some nice talc/cornstarch would be great too, as long as there is relatively low humidity. Powder is great for lots of places IMO.
    -alligator

Length
    Pixie/TB/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Corn starch or oat bran as a dry shampoo works pretty well...also hats, beanies, scarves, and bandanas

Hope you have a great trip!

-- Natalie

Length
    16/34/36
    Type
    1a/F/i

I will echo those mentioning cornstarch. It is something I use, and depending on the colour of your hair, the amount of 'brushing out' that is required can vary substantially. I would caution against too much brushing out if it can be avoided, because I have noticed how some of my cuticles that are a bit more damaged to begin with 'held' the powder and just seemed a bit more fragile. That aside, some of the slight increase in hair volume that I noticed was nice.

Between that and oiling the tips of my hair (perish the days when that coincides) I am much better about washing my brushes regularly.

Length
    tb/tb+/clssc
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I hadn't read about dry shampoo/powder before, so that gives me something new to research! Thanks for the replies one and all.

For jojo and alligator, who wanted to know , I'm going to visit my sister in London and we'll be travelling in Scotland and Croatia, and I'll hopefully get to Ireland as well.