Thread: my thin strands(pic)

Banned
    Length
    chin/27bsl/tbl
    Type
    1c/F/M/i

Default my thin strands(pic)

[quosiorpew'ap'ote][/quote]q U O T E
    Last edited by evampr18; February 28th, 2012 at 10:51 PM.

little hair obsessed too littlenvy's Avatar
    Length
    10"/waist/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Default Re: my thin strands(pic)

OH you are able to get two? I only get one that size out of my entire hair. (I will post pics later)
    Yes. Some of us have very thin braids too. That's why I only braid my hair at night to go to sleep in and never to wear outside. I feel like everyone is going to look at it and go "OMG!! WHAT ever happened to make her hair THAT THIN"
    oh well.
    Genetics sometimes can be hard. But take heart. Its not the end of the world to have thin braids.
    At least with a thin braid you can have braided Chinese bun at APL instead of BSL like everyone else
    Last edited by littlenvy; September 2nd, 2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: to add comment

Type
    1c/C/iii

I think your braids look charming and pretty, just right at BSL. How long have you been growing for evampr18?

The first year that I grew my hair out from a short, back and sides, that's how my braids looked too. It took years for some of the short hairs at ear length to grow past my shoulders, whereas others sped past. I too thought I had thin hair, but in time the volume filled out.

It all depends on your individual hair type, what length you are growing out from and a host of other factors. Please do not think you have the thinnest hair, because I have seen hair much thinner.

Also, are you helping your hair growth by eating well?
    Amo, amas, amat, amodimethicone, ammonium laureth sulphate....I'm feeling the love .

Banned
    Length
    chin/27bsl/tbl
    Type
    1c/F/M/i

[quosiorpew'ap'ote][/quote]q U O T E
    Last edited by evampr18; February 28th, 2012 at 11:20 PM.

Length
    21/28/BSL

It looks like you have some significant taper. Your braids are thin at the ends, but the base looks actually quite thick. Do you have layers? Once they grow out, your braids should look much thicker.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

It looks like they're decently thick a bit further up, so I wouldn't simply assume that you have particularly thin hair. Mine are roughly as thick as yours are up near the top, but they take a lot longer to taper.

I'm guessing that you haven't trimmed your hair much for a few years, right?

There are a few possibilities for what's going on....
    1) You've been growing your hair out without any trims for quite a while, so the last 10 inches or so has ends all through it and tapers significantly.
    2) You've been accumulating damage enough to keep hairs from growing much longer and thicker than this. Or have something going on (what you're washing with, health, who knows) that is encouraging the hair to shed.
    3) You have hair in perfect condition and this is the longest and thickest it will ever grow. <-- While this is possible, I rather doubt it, and I'd recommend spending at least 3 years ruling out the first two.

Hang in there. If you haven't tried some different washing methods, give them a chance. Same with oiling your hair and wearing it in gentle updos practically every day. Use a comb without seams and comb slowly, so you can find knots before you pull through them and break hairs.

ETA: I see you've posted since I started writing this... Are you making sure you're getting enough protein, iron, and supplementing vitamin B12?
    Last edited by Anje; September 2nd, 2010 at 02:08 PM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I have skinny braids too. I read in a magazine like in 2005 that they were the hot new thing, so I wore them then for the breif time it was considered the desireable look

sadly yeah its just life, but not having layers helps and I do five strand braids and make them flat which makes my hair look thicker. However I prefer sock buns etc and braids wouldnt do at work so I dont really worll about it.

ps I love the 2005 colour its very cool!
    I think skinny braids can look very cool!
    Last edited by LouLaLa; September 2nd, 2010 at 02:20 PM.
    SOCK BUN ADDICT
    STASH CHALLENGE & NO DYE CHALLENGE

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

One thing you can do to even out the appearance of your braids is to make the upper part as snug as you can tolerate, then more loose toward the ends. Then the braids will appear to be about the same width from top to ends.

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Once you grow out the layers, your braids will become much thicker, so don't worry, your hair is not thin at all!

And, I must say, I love the 2005 pic, beautiful hair!

Better late than never !

Length
    <2/calf/knee
    Type
    1a/M/ii

You hair looks a good deal like mine as far as thickness goes. I too used to have some layers and that does effect the thickness of the braids, especially at the ends. Mine still taper quite a bit, but since I'm nearly past tailbone it's not very noticeable. In fact, I like the tapering look. On the plus side, a taper does make wrapping chinese buns easier and since my hair is not super thick, it's not quite as heavy nor do I need monster sticks to put it up. I like that I can still comfortably put all of my hair up using a 4" fork even at my length.

I really wouldn't worry about it unless you don't want to grow you hair any longer. But since your goal is where my hair is now, I think all will be well. If you're like me, your hair will braid better once you are past BSL and closer to waist.