Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sunflower oil?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Sunflower oil?

Quote Originally Posted by MandyBeth View Post
    Ok, granted, the cancer risks are with internal use. HOWEVER, it's well known that what you put on your skin can and does enter your body. That's how transdermal medication works.

My uncle took thalidomide for late stage cancer. ANY person of child bearing age in the family other than myself could NOT handle that medication AT ALL, due to the risk of birth defects. That's TOUCHING the medication, not taking it. I got to handle the medication because I myself am on category X medications so it was not a risk for me as I can not legally bear children.

For more hair related, I have increased shedding with some hair products, which means it's in the hair root, which means it's past the skin. PPD goes into your system. You use henna to dye your hair, many people report grayish urine after for a while.

If you put ANYTHING on your skin, it MAY get into your system. Which is all I need to not use sunflower oil.

ktani, do you have a list of the oils that have ceramides? The earlier link isn't working for me, sorry!
    According to this link,
    "OILS THAT CONTAIN CERAMIDES:

Barley Malt Oil

Eucalyptus Extract

Hemp Seed Oil

Hot 6 Oil

Kukui Oil

Sunflower Oil

Walnut Oil

Wheat Germ Oil"

They are also in rice bran oil.

ETA: I agree that transdermal absorption is possible with many products, depending on the skin being irritated in some cases.
    Last edited by ktani; August 29th, 2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: ETA

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Ok, here is the short news on the Sunflower Oil being used/not used in pet food. http://www.nightwatchmankennels.com/sunflower-oil.html I have the actual full study and more news somewhere, but I've not teched in so long, I'm not sure where it is now. I'll keep looking.

ETA - here is a pretty basic article with good documentation on the issues with Polyunsaturated Oils. http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/fats_and_cancer.html

A journal article on polyunsaturated oils. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...ijc.23394/full

Erm, this may be a double up on ktani's http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1890998/

This is on why olive oil is good, but there is a bit on the issues with sunflower oil http://www.streetdirectory.com/food_...and_aging.html

http://foodforbreastcancer.com/foods/sunflower-oil Good summary on a lot of articles, which are all included and I believe are from peer reviewed journals.

http://www.heall.com/body/healthupda...uratedfat.html More on the issues, does have evidence of information.

Here's my thing, I'm trying to make sure what I find has some journals behind it, or verifiable evidence for the study. I can find plenty of things that say X is good or bad, just not a lot of the ones that say X is bad based on this peer reviewed study that was then confirmed by this....

ETA for the final time - Having dug up my uncles records that I have, his oncologist has it very clearly listed for him to not use or ingest sunflower oil. Given as this doctor gave my uncle 4 years of life after 3 others had told him he had months at best, maybe it's crazy, but I'm willing to buy into that.
    Last edited by MandyBeth; August 29th, 2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: adding links

Type
    1b/1c/C/ii

Default Go

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Henna is not a conventional product build-up clarifier. From reports on henna results, henna is best used on clarified hair.
    True, it is recommended to shampoo hair to have better dye uptake in the hair. I think what I am talking about is actually washing out gritty henna, seems to act like a scrub.
    ________
    Hot Box Vaporizers
    Last edited by Artsy; February 18th, 2011 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artsy View Post
    True, it is recommended to shampoo hair to have better dye uptake in the hair. I think what I am talking about is actually washing out gritty henna, seems to act like a scrub.
    I get that. However, henna also contains a resin itself that coats hair and washes out between applications. So I am not convinced that it clarifies mechanically.

Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

I get that. However, henna also contains a resin itself that coats hair and washes out between applications. So I am not convinced that it clarifies mechanically.
    I think it clarifies the conditioner coatings off hair. But from trying a catnip rinse after henna, and now knowing how the catnip works for me in clean hair - the henna leaves a layer of the resin behind. This resin prevents the catnip from working, so it clarifies the build up, but then needs to be clarified itself.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyBeth View Post
    I think it clarifies the conditioner coatings off hair. But from trying a catnip rinse after henna, and now knowing how the catnip works for me in clean hair - the henna leaves a layer of the resin behind. This resin prevents the catnip from working, so it clarifies the build up, but then needs to be clarified itself.
    Not all henna is gritty though. I am still not convinced that it can clarify all wax residue and coatings off the hair and leave its own resin behind at the same time.

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

If your hair responds well to it then that tells me that it must be good for it . Here in the U.S. we generally think the opposite- sunflower oil reminds me of food and coconut does not. Funny how different cultural cusine dictates what we put in our hair. I can totally relate to you when it comes to the smell though- it does smell really bad!

Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Not all henna is gritty though. I am still not convinced that it can clarify all wax residue and coatings off the hair and leave its own resin behind at the same time.
    Don't know there. I found the good henna actually seemed to get more "stuff" off and leave more resin. The gritty stuff my hair didn't feel the same as with the fine grit henna, and there was a lot less resin. But that could just be the resin, and not getting waxes and such off.

Hrm. Now how do I test this exactly? Now that I've got to figure out. I've got enough white hair (big white fluffy dogs live here), so I could test to see how well the henna dyes with a coating on the hair. Ok, gotta get DF to furminate the dogs then.

Length
    bsl/waist/elbow
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by christine1989 View Post
    If your hair responds well to it then that tells me that it must be good for it . Here in the U.S. we generally think the opposite- sunflower oil reminds me of food and coconut does not. Funny how different cultural cusine dictates what we put in our hair. I can totally relate to you when it comes to the smell though- it does smell really bad!
    Yes, absolutely! haha

All this information I'm getting from you guys is a bit confusing. The sunflower oil people say it's good, while other reports say it's not so good. Now who to believe?

Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by christine1989 View Post
    If your hair responds well to it then that tells me that it must be good for it .
    Lead makes for pretty cosmetics and originally looks ok. Don't think we should use that.

Arsenic makes your skin lighter/clearer. Don't plan on putting that on my face either.

Roaccutane does wonders for severe acne. It's not the safest drug at all.

As for which side to believe. My way in deciding is what side has current peer reviewed research to back it up, and what is either side selling. No research, either could be right. If one is trying to sell something without research, and another says no, that's wrong and here is why, I'm believing the side that isn't selling something.