Thread: Elven hair styles...for the Tolkienites

Length
    ?/Calf/TERM!
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Elven hair styles...for the Tolkienites

Quote Originally Posted by SwordWomanRiona View Post
    Aw shucks, thanks ^^ ! Yay for green

I do have one of the official Evenstar replicas, but this one is a cheap one from Aliexpress, actually, because it's actually more accurate to the movies than the official replica I got many years ago o_O. It's objectively worse quality, but it looks really nice in pics, and I've been wearing a lot over the years, so yay ^^
    Tauriel's pendant would work better for you, in your Dwarven case, I guess xD?

I love the dress too (it was custom-made and they did a great job) ! I love Medieval clothing as well, I actually do some 14th-15th Century reenacment too, one day I'll have to quit procrastinating and post about the hairstyles on here as well xD (this is more Medieval fantasy, of course xD).
    That's really interesting about the pendant. I never would have guessed.

I found Tauriel's pendant from The Nobel Collection! It's really pretty It looks like a dewdrop. Thank you for the suggestion (Now, I, too, can be Tauriel...watch out Kili XD).

14-15th century reenactment hair would be too cool (I've always wanted to wear a sideless surcoate, but that might be a little earlier)! I've always wondered what was under those hats I wonder if there is already a thread about that (there seems to be one for any topic I can think of already!) *wanders off to find a thread and maybe get back to work :P*
    🐓_insert erudite quote here_🦤
    💗I'm a pink loving, bun wearing, rambling, bird person. Ta cheistanna agam!💗

Length
    APL/FTL/TERM
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SwordWomanRiona View Post
    Aw thanks !

Omgs, wow, thank you so much o_O !! I'm honoured to have been able to serve as inspiration for Elven and cosplay shenanigans ^^ (and a little bit overwhelmed lol ). Very nice to meet you ! And yay for more Whovians and Missy lovers!

I haven't tried the complex Arwen braid yet either, honestly I'm very daunted by it, but hopefully one day, it's been a good while since I've practised braiding whoops xD. And yes, dark hair comes in handy to cosplay many Elves !

I haven't been active on LHC these past few months - I think I haven't been here for months :S xD, because I was finishing my PhD, but hopefully I'll be here a little bit more often now xD The Elven ears look great! Lovely braids, too ^^ I especially like the second style! (Btw, I hope your dad is better, hugs!)
    Thank you, my dad is pretty much back to normal now, we have another follow-up in November, if he passes his six-month post-op evaluation, then he’s truly clear and free.
    I looked up the Arwen braid and Hobbits tutorials by Silvouplaits and I’m sure I can come up with something. Back then Daenerys’ braids were all the rage among the hair youtubers, but many of them stopped posting in the pandemic and it worries me sometimes, the tiktok culture also prompts people to go for quick and easy 1 minute hairdos (with product placement) instead of time-consuming edgy ones, I missed the almost therapeutic process as they talked and demonstrated every little detail, now there are less and less long in-depth videos on those complicated hairstyles on youtube who’s pimping their Shorts so hard to imitate tiktok, the same way Instagram is doing with their reels.
    I hope that with The Rings of Power and House of The Dragon, more people will try out those fantasy hairstyles again.

Anyway it’s great to see you nice and thriving in your academics. Women in STEM rock!

Quote Originally Posted by -Aithne- View Post

Elf ears look really good on you! You look adorable! That is a lot of checkerboard...even a matching mask! Cool!
    Thank you, the checkerboard patterns got out of control sometimes. I have two matching masks, the black and brown one.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonica View Post
    Gorgeous elven photos womanriona!!! And the ears do look great on you tuanyiji!! I'm subscribing to this thread now haha
    Thank you, looking forward to your participation as well.
    Last edited by tuanyiji; September 29th, 2022 at 10:40 PM.
    107cm 1b/C/10.2cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][Fun with Flowers][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]

Length
    34.6/34.6/37.5
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Really nice pics! I think you can usually make a nice elvish hair style if you use braids with a half updo!

Feminist warrior-druidess SwordWomanRiona's Avatar
    Celtiberian pseudo-Rivendell fort overlooking the sunset
    Length
    Trim/Knee/Thigh
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Gorgeous elven photos womanriona!!! And the ears do look great on you tuanyiji!! I'm subscribing to this thread now haha
    Thanks ^^ Welcome to the thread !

Quote Originally Posted by -Aithne- View Post
    That's really interesting about the pendant. I never would have guessed.

I found Tauriel's pendant from The Nobel Collection! It's really pretty It looks like a dewdrop. Thank you for the suggestion (Now, I, too, can be Tauriel...watch out Kili XD).

14-15th century reenactment hair would be too cool (I've always wanted to wear a sideless surcoate, but that might be a little earlier)! I've always wondered what was under those hats I wonder if there is already a thread about that (there seems to be one for any topic I can think of already!) *wanders off to find a thread and maybe get back to work :P*
    Happy to enable xD!
    Sideless surcoats were worn throughout the 14th-15th centuries as well, so more enabling from my part xD! I really love surcoats too I've got a late 14th Century cottehardie and a late 15th Century V-neck houppelande, and I would go on because I adore Medieval clothes

There's a thread about historical hairstyles, that would probably work well for Medieval styles, if I remember correctly I posted about one of mine there a while ago When wearing the elaborate headdresses of the 15th Century the material I've read says that they probably wore their hair in a high bun, braided or unbraided. Sometimes you can see tiny braids looped around the ears as a throwback to the coiled braids of the 14th Century, so this was my go at it for my Burgundian gown (linking instead of adding the pic because that would be thread hijacking lol xD).

Quote Originally Posted by tuanyiji View Post
    Thank you, my dad is pretty much back to normal now, we have another follow-up in November, if he passes his six-month post-op evaluation, then he’s truly clear and free.
    I looked up the Arwen braid and Hobbits tutorials by Silvouplaits and I’m sure I can come up with something. Back then Daenerys’ braids were all the rage among the hair youtubers, but many of them stopped posting in the pandemic and it worries me sometimes, the tiktok culture also prompts people to go for quick and easy 1 minute hairdos (with product placement) instead of time-consuming edgy ones, I missed the almost therapeutic process as they talked and demonstrated every little detail, now there are less and less long in-depth videos on those complicated hairstyles on youtube who’s pimping their Shorts so hard to imitate tiktok, the same way Instagram is doing with their reels.
    I hope that with The Rings of Power and House of The Dragon, more people will try out those fantasy hairstyles again.

Anyway it’s great to see you nice and thriving in your academics. Women in STEM rock!
    Oh, I'm so glad about your dad, yay !

Yeah, hopefully the new fantasy series will amp up the hair tutorials, yes ! Says the one who hasn't uploaded any tutorials or tried a lot of new styles for a few years now, welp xD I would definitely want to try a lot of fantasy styles, but I personally have like years and decades of saved tutorials I haven't tried yet, so many things so little time, right? Actually, the new trends of super short and numerous Tik-Toks, reels and shorts have increased my anxiety in that respect, I guess, so much material coming out so fast :S I do prefer the more calm, ASMR-style hair tutorials, yeah xD

Thanks ^^ Although I don't think my academia life is exactly thriving at the moment, I'm at that limbo moment between defending my PhD and figuring out what to do with my life career-wise But I did defend my PhD at long last, so there's that!

Feminist warrior-druidess SwordWomanRiona's Avatar
    Celtiberian pseudo-Rivendell fort overlooking the sunset
    Length
    Trim/Knee/Thigh
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Another Elven style from 2018, Lúthien Tinúviel edition! A braided paranda ponytail with side braids and a front pompadour, decorated with leaf ribbon and flowers, and a circlet in some cases as well. I quite like how this one turned out

Length
    Chin/HL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

These are all so pretty!! Love the dark elf theme + your ears!!

Length
    Chin/HL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

*gasp* This is so lovely!! The vine with flowers is a dream; I love the costume too!

Length
    14"/54"/termi
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

The costume and braid are perfect! I really love the pop of the gold circlet too. So inspiring
    Does the man on the moon cut his hair?

Yes... Eclipse it!

Length
    14"/54"/termi
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by tuanyiji View Post
    Thank you, looking forward to your participation as well.
    Ok I did it. I dug up an old elven dark elf photo from me back in 2014. (I hung out around tbl/classic length for a long time before pushing on to my current knee length, it's weird to see a trimmed u hemline and no fairtale. Not to mention the bangs which are now grown out to tbl).

No fancy braids or anything but I was proud of my ears which I made myself from masking tape and makeup.

Last edited by Demonica; October 1st, 2022 at 06:01 AM.
    Does the man on the moon cut his hair?

Yes... Eclipse it!

Length
    APL/FTL/TERM
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Ok I did it. I dug up an old elven dark elf photo from me back in 2014. (I hung out around tbl/classic length for a long time before pushing on to my current knee length, it's weird to see a trimmed u hemline and no fairtale. Not to mention the bangs which are now grown out to tbl).

No fancy braids or anything but I was proud of my ears which I made myself from masking tape and makeup.
    [img][/img]
    Wow, that hair, that lacy costume, those ears, and that expression. It looks like a very naughty elf just caught red-handed or planning her next mischiefs lol. 100/100.
    And your bangs back then were so thick, now that they’re tbl, are you sure you are just ii? You look at least ii/iii to me.
    Last edited by tuanyiji; October 1st, 2022 at 06:22 AM.
    107cm 1b/C/10.2cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][Fun with Flowers][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]