Thread: 1c/2a hair

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: 1c/2a hair

Quote Originally Posted by ZoeZ View Post
    Thanks Goddess, I will makes some small amounts and see how they work out. It does sound like it would be good for my hair though.
    I hope it works out for you. It totally changed my hair loving experience. My husband laughs at me making "hair potions", but they're awesome. Haha.

I'm actually doing a shampoo bar experiment right now because I'm sick of companies changing or discontinuing products as soon as I get happy with them. If it goes well, I will just start making shampoo bars. But I will always love oil conditioners.

Also, when you are done pouring your conditioner back into the bottle, apply whatever is left in your mixing container to dry hair. You can rinse it out pretty much right away and the results are amazing. I do this with my braid tail and it keeps my ends happy.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

So following up on this, the shampoo bar thing did not work for me. I accepted that it would feel gummy in the shower but not when dry. However, after a couple of days, it began to build up and my hair lost its shine and started to have a grimy, sticky texture. This is why I always try out new things well before I'm out of whatever I'm already using. Anyway, a solid teaspoon or a little more citric acid in a bottle of water poured over wet hair, left for about a minute or so and then directly shampooed over brought it back to normal. Conditioned as usual and now we're back to square one.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Length
    13/45/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by GoddesJourney View Post
    So following up on this, the shampoo bar thing did not work for me. I accepted that it would feel gummy in the shower but not when dry. However, after a couple of days, it began to build up and my hair lost its shine and started to have a grimy, sticky texture. This is why I always try out new things well before I'm out of whatever I'm already using. Anyway, a solid teaspoon or a little more citric acid in a bottle of water poured over wet hair, left for about a minute or so and then directly shampooed over brought it back to normal. Conditioned as usual and now we're back to square one.
    Sorry to hear the shampoo bar didn't work for you. I have a friend who makes cold process soap and shampoo bars, and she's taught me a lot about the subject. If you're up for more experimentation I suggest trying out a few more, not all shampoo bars will work the same just like not all liquid shampoos will work the same.

Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by KokoroDragon View Post
    Sorry to hear the shampoo bar didn't work for you. I have a friend who makes cold process soap and shampoo bars, and she's taught me a lot about the subject. If you're up for more experimentation I suggest trying out a few more, not all shampoo bars will work the same just like not all liquid shampoos will work the same.
    That's encouraging. I'm looking to try my hand at my own with just a couple of ingredients and no glycerin. That may or may not help. But it may be the fault of the California hard water as well.

Length
    SL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

That's encouraging. I'm looking to try my hand at my own with just a couple of ingredients and no glycerin. That may or may not help. But it may be the fault of the California hard water as well.
    Hello fellow Californian! Shampoo bars utterly failed at my dad's house, partially due to the hard water. I was never able to figure out a ratio of acid rinses or ACV that solved the problem without being stupidly strong. I hope you have better luck with it than I did.
    Lady Kaname of the Chaos Realm in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

I tried shampoo bars last year also, and I could never get my hair to suds up and yeah, my hair just didn’t feel good. Vinegar helped but I figured I was damaging my hair by trying too hard to make it suds. It didn’t ever really get clean. I tried for the couple months sonce there’s supposed to be an adjustment period. I have hard water too and I never adjusted

This will vary by your hair and what conditioner you prefer. I use macadamia oil because it is the favorite of both my hair and skin. I add about 3 oz to and 8 ish oz bottle of conditioner and just blend briefly with a wish and pour it back into the bottle. I started keeping honey bear bottles for conditioner because the have a wide mouth and make this easier. I also like to add about a teaspoon of honey but it is not necessary.

I have an sls shampoo that I water down with a full bottle of said conditioner or one without the honey. It makes the shampoo really runny but it's still usable. Significantly less lather. I s&c every day and I use both in equal amounts. So I buy three bottles of conditioner and one shampoo together.

If you like avocado or jojoba oil or whatever agrees with you that is light and easy to absorb, use that instead. I don't know how this would go with silicone or parade containing products. Go ahead and experiment.
    Thank you for this advice! I tried it on my hair and I love how my hair turned out. I think this routine is a keeper for me.

Goal = Hip
    Salt and Pepper Virgin Hair
    Bob ~ Shoulder Length ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Totohoy View Post
    I've typed myself as 2a because in its healthiest state my hair is borderline 2b, but in reality I find myself anywhere between 1b/c to 2a/b depending on the day, so this entire thread is #mood.

Does anyone else struggle, and I mean really struggle, to keep their ends and length hydrated? (Without sporting an almost perma-wet look.)

I swear my porosity is medium or low for the first 20-30 cm but from there on it's HIGH. You'd think I have chemically treated hair because of how it acts. Oh no. All but the last few inches are virgin, and that bit has only ever seen one round of 1-application-mostly-indigo henndigo gloss. Though the colour is identical to my natural colour, so it may even be gone at this point. I always get the most gorgeous results after having been caught out in the rain during the summer. Unfortunately I live where the weather is cold and dry for most of the year and it just sucks every bit of moisture out of my hair even just staying indoors.

I don't seem to be able to find a balance -- either I follow various methods (like LOC) and end up with my hair looking weighed down, limp, stringy, and all-around unflattering, OR I use less product and achieve light-weight, bouncy, shiny, proper waves only to end up like >THIS< (image link) by day two. Now, I don't at all mind the look of a little frizz because it adds much needed volume to the top of my head, but I know it's a sign of dryness and that is likely the reason I have so many dull, scraggly and broken hairs.
    Oh here are my people lol this is really my dilemma. Having good success with Paul Mitchell stuff using the loc method, for now that is lol. I'll report back in a couple weeks.
    Current method: WCC ROO C LOC. trimming to TBL
    no SLS (but yes to SLES) Herbal rinses: catnip, fenugreek and just started using chagrin ACV rinse when needed scalp only to scalp happy (scalp prolly needs sls)

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Squish to condish every single time I use conditioner so twice a week. It's the only thing that keeps my hair moisturized.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

Length
    23.6/39/47
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Okay wow, now I KNOW I have 1c/2a hair lol. I was never really sure what my texture is, because it is kinda wavy, but also kinda straight-ish. The waves are pretty loose though, but my baby hairs can curl up a little bit, especially when it's humid outside.

As soon as I read the very first post of this thread, I felt seen. The devil's horns, omg the devil's horns, they're the reason I'll never get bangs ever again. I did have a short hair cut with side bangs when I was 12 and it did look good when the stylist straightened my hair and blow dried it correctly, but my 12 year old self couldn't do that on her own. Even my current self can't do that lmao. So I always had these twisted, kinda poofy strands on the side that I just put back with a bobby pin until I grew them out.

My hair also can never really decide if it wants to be straight or wavy. Plus it never really forms into clumps, even if I let them air dry, they get a little wavy yet poofy.
    What I've also noticed is that the CGM doesn't do anything for me at all. Which makes sense in retrospect, because my hair is too straight to benefit from it, so putting gel or any kind of styling product into that that's supposed to enhance my waves is not doing anything.
    My hair will just do whatever it wants and turn into the same kind of straight-ish waves, with the only difference that my hair is much more poofy when I let it air dry. Which is why I always blow dry it, because that way, I can tame it more easily and it turns out more silky and manageable. Don't worry btw, I only ever use the lowest setting of my blow dryer.

And yes, I do have a crap ton of products, especially leave-ins, because I've been on the hunt for the perfect leave-in products for years. But I've now found a spray and a hair oil combo that works really well and I'll stick to it (Sun Bum leave-in spray + Pantene leave-in hair oil).

Also, does anyone of you have problems with tangling? I read once in an article that 1c hair is highly prone to tangling due to its "not quite this, not quite that" texture, no matter how well you take care of it. Because whenever I wear my hair down, I always have to carry a tangle teezer with me, because it will tangle, which is also why I usually wear it in a pony tail or braid.

I like my hair, though, and find it kinda funny that it has its own mood and can never truly be tamed. It's not like I have problems keeping it healthy, though, it's always pretty soft and hardly ever breaks. The key is to just give it a lot of moisture and to just handle it with care.
    I've found a really good recipe for a DIY hair mask (credit goes to a German YouTube channel called haartraum : Mix a tablespoon each of honey, aloe vera juice and two table spoons of conditioner together and put it on slightly wet hair. Let it sit for as long as you like and then wash your hair as usual and rinse it out. Honestly, it has almost the same effect to my hair (if not the same) as a Kérastase hair mask. You can also pimp it up to your liking with any kind of oil or protein. My hair doesn't like too much protein though, it makes it harder to comb through for some reason.