Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting wavy hair

Length
    .5/15/30
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default Getting wavy hair

What are some great ways to make my hair wavy overnight/ day I know like braids work sometimes but what else is there

Length
    Pixie/APL/35"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Getting wavy hair

Rag curls will work if you wrap your hair in more of an 'S' pattern as opposed to a spiral pattern. You could also try one or more buns. Just make them high up on your head so that you can sleep. Torrin Paige has a great tutorial on youtube about using braids to get waves and also curling the ends so that it looks more natural.
    Goals: Ponytail | French Braids | 1 French Braid | English Braid | Bun
    Ultimate Goal Length: Hip

Length
    34/Long/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Take a look at this rag bun thread. You can wear your hair in the style and down for the curls/waves it makes later.

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

What happens when you sleep on it wet (not dripping)? My daughters hair is mostly straight but if she sleeps on it wet she gets a little wave in it. There was also a great tutorial for this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crQtB...eature=related which is an interesting way to get waves and not look too silly whilst it's in your hair.

Length
    .5/15/30
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default how do i get wavy hair overnight

i have tried using braids and differnt kinds of buns but they just don't very well i need help

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

My niece has 1a hair, and although we could get it to curl, there's not much we could do to get it to hold a curl OR a wave. No matter what we did, it would be straight again within a few hours. So I'm not sure there's anything you could do, either, other than embrace that straight and shiny hair type; it's beautiful!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

How about waves like in this article? Elainehali has straight hair, and says that these last for a while for her.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Re: how do i get wavy hair overnight

Sad truth: for 1a hair... if you get it to hold ANY wave for more than about 3-4 hours, it's a minor miracle. Our hair is made to be long, sleek, silky soft, never touched by heat styling methods ever, and hang in sheets. Do not argue with your hair. It will win.

It will work with you, if you're nice to it. The more you keep it happy with enough conditioner, no layers at all, gentle handling and a lot of putting it up when damp, the more willing it will be to hold a hint of curl or wave when you let it down. But you won't get all day waves or curls, even then.

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: how do i get wavy hair overnight

Quote Originally Posted by torrilin View Post
    Sad truth: for 1a hair... if you get it to hold ANY wave for more than about 3-4 hours, it's a minor miracle. Our hair is made to be long, sleek, silky soft, never touched by heat styling methods ever, and hang in sheets. Do not argue with your hair. It will win.
    [snip]
    But you won't get all day waves or curls, even then.

Yes 100% agree, youll get curls from rags, bee butt, that you tube turotial as its twisting basically, but it wont hold all day.

I used to do small tight braids for waves but it lasts about 4 hrs max. Also the sock bun curling didnt work on my 1a hair either.

In the end I just embraced that my hair is straight and thats that. You could but clip in extensions and curl them and mix them into your own hair which is what I used to do when my hair was shorter.

I dont think waves would hold as its such a soft curl it will fall out and unless you uses acres of product which could mess your hair up sadly this hair type is just meant to be straight and shiny. Its hard but really we are lucky to have the most low maintanance hair type that looks like its been flat ironed even after your just jumped out of bed which is kinda cool.
    SOCK BUN ADDICT
    STASH CHALLENGE & NO DYE CHALLENGE

Length
    BSL/Chin/?
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

My mom has 1a hair, and we put it up with foam rollers one night. It started out the day curly, but by the end it had very nice waves. This was without any product, and her hair doesn't normally hold curls, even from curling irons.