Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Seborrheic Dermatitis Support

Tiny Opera Singer SlightlySoprano's Avatar
    Length
    SL/~APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Default Seborrheic Dermatitis Support

So I finally went to the dermatologist about my hair loss and it turns out that I have pretty severe Seborrheic Dermatitis. I'm currently on a steroid foam 2x a day and an antifungal shampoo 3 times a week...

Has anybody else been diagnosed/is anybody struggling with this?
    Chin--Shoulder--APL--BSL-- MBL-- Waist
    2c/3a-F-i/ii

Length
    20/Knee/Ankle
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Re: Seborrheic Dermatitis Support

Yup, lost almost 1/3 of my hair at some point. Daily, or close thereabouts, washing, using Monistat and washing my combs and hair toys helps a lot.
    Hedonistic, pagan, wild, evil.

Type
    1c/M/ii

So sorry. Yes, I've struggled with this for quite some time, though more on my face and "body folds" (am NOT going to elaborate....) than scalp. Though there's been a patch along the hairline that has been an on-again/off-again problem.

What I found worked best on my hair was the NW/SO regime, as seborrheia is caused by the over-production of oil. Massaging the scalp and moving the sebum down the hair shaft made quite an improvement in my hair and scalp, as well as skin. Why the skin? I don't know - but it did!

This always seems to be worse for me in the winter months, too, so will be looking at it coming up soon.... I use an ointment, but it's not a steroid-based treatment. I do not like steroids!
    The Blog: Skipping Barefoot Down the Rocky Road of Life

Length
    SL/~APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Do you think there is any chance my hair will ever come back? I hate balding so young
    2c/3a-F-i/ii

Length
    35/hip/-
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Hm. Did your dermatologist actually say that your hair thinning was caused by the SD? Mine didn't think there's a link at all.

I have quite severe SD on the top of my scalp - the worst patches are just behind my hairline at the front - and keep it more or less under control with steroid lotion. I also have it and/or eczema on my face, but that pretty much went away when I stopped using facial cleansers... I think the WO route would benefit my scalp, as it has for Peggy E, but I'm not brave enough to go without shampoo yet.
    From Hip to Ankle and now back to Hip again.

Length
    CL/APL/BSL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Hi there,

My hair has thinned along the front hairline, but I'm not sure if that's due to SD or just hormonal changes with age. One thing I KNOW can contribute to hair thinning is that when my scalp SD flares up, I tend to scratch at the flakes (Sorry, TMI) and that definitely causes damage to my hair and scalp. So, if you do nothing else, try and stop yourself scratching!

I also really benefitted from going WO for around 8 weeks, and now I just wash my hair once a week, either with diluted shampoo or CO, and I wash my bangs every 2nd day (I use dilute shampoo and try to keep it off my scalp). Coconut oil on my scalp also helped. But I don't think this is the answer for everyone with SD! I think the problem with SD is that it probably is caused by different things for different people. So the things that will help no matter what the cause are:

1)Making your diet as good as possible, with lots of green vegetables, seafood (if you eat that) or other omega 3 source, natural yogurt or other source of probiotics. I find eating too much sweet stuff makes my skin and scalp oily. For me, this means having sweet things no more then 3 times a week! I also do better if I avoid too much caffeine. It takes around 6 weeks to see the benefits of diet on the skin, so give it some time.
    2) Making sure you don't overheat at night http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/...ries/s2015.htm
    3) Managing stress; I find exercise like tai chi/yoga/pilates and swimming really help with this, but too much sweat and overheating make my skin get really unhappy (and I think that's part of having the kind of skin that develops SD)
    4) Avoid soaps and harsh detergents

I think, as much as possible, it's a good idea to try and develop a regime where you can manage SD without steroid creams/frequent use of anti-fungals. That way, if you have a flare-up, you have those medications to fall back on.
    Last edited by Chiara; August 18th, 2010 at 05:11 PM.

Hi, I was concerned that I was losing my hair because my part became longer. My dermatologist thought it might be a mild case of SD and gave be a shampoo called Zoma. The active ingredient is zinc pyrithione. I have also been getting shots of a steroid called kenalog monthly directly into my scalp. I have not seen any improvement yet, but at the same time it is not getting any worse. I have another dermatologist who suggested that I alternate dandruff shampoos (i.e., switch to Denorex to Nizoral to Selsum Blue). He also said that I do not have SD. So, it might be a good idea to make an appointment with a different doctor. Also, know that you are still beautiful with or without your hair. I know how difficult that is to believe when we are on a long hair site, but it's true. There are many options available to women with thinning hair. Just be patient and hang in there.
    Peace, love, and guinea pigs!

Length
    SL/~APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

My derm said that the hair loss COULD be due to SD, but she wasn't sure, so I went to LabCorps today and had 7 (!!!) vials of blood drawn for various tests. Hopefully I can finally get some answers.

The shampoo and foam have definitely helped my scalp quite a bit. I don't see a change in shedding though.
    2c/3a-F-i/ii

bear of vry little brains x0h_bother's Avatar
    Length
    SL 07/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Dermotologist said I have SD (but I think it is really just dandruff.) I use OTC Zinc Pyrithione head and shoulders every day and it is the only formula (and brand for that matter) that works for my scalp. I agree, it is worse in the winter. My scalp LOVES the summer. Good luck with yours.
    growwwwww..

if I tug on my hair, will it grow faster?

Length
    35/hip/-
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SlightlySoprano View Post
    My derm said that the hair loss COULD be due to SD, but she wasn't sure, so I went to LabCorps today and had 7 (!!!) vials of blood drawn for various tests. Hopefully I can finally get some answers.

The shampoo and foam have definitely helped my scalp quite a bit. I don't see a change in shedding though.
    I hope you do get some answers. Good luck!

There's another recent SD thread here if you want to check it out.
    From Hip to Ankle and now back to Hip again.