Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: lemon rinse defines curls dramatically and fights frizz

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Default Re: lemon rinse defines curls dramatically and fights frizz

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Does it say on the lemon container you have what the concentration is of the juice you bought? The rinse has not really lightened anyone's hair colour. I can see a stronger solution affecting dye to a degree. This is most interesting.
    Just back from the grocery store. The lemon juice I bought is reconstituted lemon juice with 3 TBSP equalling the juice of one lemon.
    My brain hurts too much right now to figure this one out!

My first rinse was 2tsp to 34oz water. Results not good.
    My second rinse was 1tsp to 34oz water. Results better, but I had used oil shampoo this time.

Do what you will with this info, ktani!
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by girlcat36 View Post
    Just back from the grocery store. The lemon juice I bought is reconstituted lemon juice with 3 TBSP equalling the juice of one lemon.
    My brain hurts too much right now to figure this one out!

My first rinse was 2tsp to 34oz water. Results not good.
    My second rinse was 1tsp to 34oz water. Results better, but I had used oil shampoo this time.

Do what you will with this info, ktani!
    Ok, if 3 tablespoons, for the sake of argument = 50 ml of lemon juice (mariika's measurement) to 5 to 6 litres of water, 50 divided by 3 = roughly 16.6 ml per tablespoon which about right because 1 teaspoon = 5 ml. 1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons.

So, the measurement is about the same. Only you needed the dilution to be double what it works out to here, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...vation-by.html.

I would stay with your dilution and perhaps add more water.

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Finally got around to doing this and loved the results! In fact, my avatar pic is from today, just after my hair dried. What really amazed me is that I only washed with baking soda and followed up with the lemon rinse-- no leave-ins or styling products whatsoever.

I used fresh squeezed lemon juice and did the 1/2 tsp to 1 cup water ratio. Henna has been slowly taking my curl out and the lemon rinse did much to revive them. I have been using ACV rinses for quite some time now and on my hair, the lemon rinse is different. I did read somewhere about a homemade hairspray using boiled down lemons. Same concept?

I ran some errands today and noticed slightly more frizziness than usual. (I'm pretty prone to the frizzies & fly-aways.) So I think next time I will condition in the shower or use a bit of leave-in or coconut oil.

Also, I bought a big bag of lemons because they were on sale so I squeezed out a bunch of them and added 1/2 tsp to each opening on an icecube tray and filled about halfway with water. Once frozen, I will pop them in a freezer bag and can just take out a cube and put it in some warm water whenever I want a lemon rinse.

Thank you, Mariika, for sharing!

Length
    17"/19"/24"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

In case you're not able to see my blog, here's some photographic evidence!

Prior to using the lemon rinse, what little wave I had separated (was not "defined") and the hair was frizzy. If I tried to add product (haven't done for years) or oil to scrunch it or enhance the wave, it usually looked like "dry hair that's stringy, with oil added". LOL

First is post lemon rince, with the hair more or less hanging down, and the other was spread out to show the curl more. Unfortunately this camera doesn't give the best photos unless it's got really good light.

"After" shots:

Here's a "before" picture from when I did a Feye trim back in June. Waaay more frizz!!!

Last edited by intothemist1999; November 7th, 2010 at 08:07 PM.
    Lady Myst of the Evanescent Veils OLHK
    Before/after lemon rinse pics

Tried it tonight. 1 tsp to 17oz water. Wash condition rinse. Frizz!

Quote Originally Posted by duh_its_Sarah View Post
    Tried it tonight. 1 tsp to 17oz water. Wash condition rinse. Frizz!
    It may be that you need to dilute the rinse more. One of my friends who tried it still had frizz, then changed to a shampoo for normal hair to reduce some residue she had on her hair and since then her hair has little to no frizz from the same dilution you just used. In other words, there may be reasons that it did not work for you the first time.

I can certainly see it wants to work. There is more wave for sure and its softer!! and shinier!
    But frizzy.
    HOWEVER, I have been COing for the first time for the past week. Last night I used Clairol Shimmer lights as my once a week good scrub with shampoo. I love shimmer lights because it really does get the brassy out if you use it once or twice a wek for me. Then I conditioned with Ion Intense Moisture which didnt appear to have cones either.
    so..... maybe it was that strong of the shampoo that altered this because I got the soft and I got the wave. Also, the humidity was 89% last night!!! and 77% in my house! Im going to try tonight or tomorrow night if I dont need to wash.... after a CO and the humidity will be lower.

I can certainly see it wants to work. There is more wave for sure and its softer!! and shinier!
    But frizzy.
    HOWEVER, I have been COing for the first time for the past week. Last night I used Clairol Shimmer lights as my once a week good scrub with shampoo. I love shimmer lights because it really does get the brassy out if you use it once or twice a wek for me. Then I conditioned with Ion Intense Moisture which didnt appear to have cones either.
    so..... maybe it was that strong of the shampoo that altered this because I got the soft and I got the wave. Also, the humidity was 89% last night!!! and 77% in my house! Im going to try tonight or tomorrow night if I dont need to wash.... after a CO and the humidity will be lower.
    The CO'ing may have left you with more residue than the Shimmer Lights is able to remove easily with one shampooing. It is not that the lemon rinse cannot work over residue, it is that it may not work as well over a certain amount of residue.

My friend has been told by others around her in real life, that since she gave up using volumizing mousse and switched to the shampoo for normal hair to gradually get rid of its build-up, that her formally wavy, frizzy hair, with the lemon rinse, now looks beautiful.

I think Ill try it with a little more dilution.
    then after that, if it doesnt work, Ill do a baking soda wash or a clarifying shampoo.

I think Ill try it with a little more dilution.
    then after that, if it doesnt work, Ill do a baking soda wash or a clarifying shampoo.
    I agree that you should try the easiest option first. Baking soda has been reported to result in frizz for some people. There are gentle clarifying shampoos out there. It depends on what you have been CO'ing with, and how long you have been CO'ing, as to how much residue you may have on your hair.

Good luck!