Thread: The CWC (condition-wash-condition) official thread

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: The CWC (condition-wash-condition) official thread

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    For the record: I did try tweaking my CWWCC and getting rid of some letters, nope, my hair protested. So CWWCC it is, as much as I hate spending a full hour in the shower.
    Ugh I feel this - not with conditioning but with a scalp scrub. It adds a WHOLE extra chunk of time (and energy) but my scalp is a lot less happy if I don't do it I'm not in the shower for a full hour but it's at least 45mins, or longer if it's more difficult to detangle. Thank goodness it's only once every couple of weeks on average for me!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Waist/BCL/FT
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I had been oiling my hair for over a decade at that point, and to be honest, I got sick of it. At first I thought there would be no harm in skipping the oil a couple of times, then I saw that it made no difference and decided to wait and see when my hair would start asking for a good oil soak again. It never did. I started to apply conditioner to my lengths because shampooing "naked" hair felt strange (I do use harsh sulfates and my ends need protection). Honestly, I couldn't be happier, my routine is now much more simple and just as effective.

For the record: I did try tweaking my CWWCC and getting rid of some letters, nope, my hair protested. So CWWCC it is, as much as I hate spending a full hour in the shower.
    I see! Hair can take a lot of time when it gets long, and it's not always necessary to do all sorts of steps... as you say, you didn't notice a difference without the oil, so why continue, unless you like the process :-)
    My scalp tends to get really itchy between showers, so perhaps I should try adding one more wash and condtioner too.

Length
    APL/APL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I have started to give CWC a go now, I didn't realise that I occasionally did this anyway, but now I'd like to actively do it for every wash. I've used this method for my last 2 hair washes and my hair does feel smoother for sure. I'm hoping it may air dry more sensibly too 😁

Length
    Waist/BCL/FT
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I have a question...
    I have been cone free for years now, but after reading about silicones again I thought I might try to use it again and see how my hair likes it. I used to get build up from it and have been nervous to try it for that reason. The product I have added is an Elvital Dream lenght no haircut cream (a leave in). It has dimethicone in it. So, my questions are:

1. does conditioner rinse out dimethicone?
    2. for those who do a pre-cwc oiling.... do you still oil even if using cones in your haircare? I was thinking that perhaps the oil wouldn't penetrate my shaft, but perhaps that only happens if there is so much silicones that my hair shaft is comletely blocked by them?

I do realize I will have to clarify from time to time with shampoo on all of my hair. I do that regardless of cones about once every 1,5 month.

Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

I use a lot of silicone and I oil my hair before shampooing. I still see a positive effect from the oil. It seems to me that your hair would have to be absolutely saturated in the stuff to potentially block the oil. Plus oil still has a benefit even if it's not penetrating the hair strand. Also the idea that silicones are like an impermeable plastic sheath around your hair is false (not saying you think this, just saying it feeds the narrative that silicones need to be completely removed). Silicones are a completely different chemical compound than plastics and they create a semi-permeable coating on the hair, so "build-up" isn't really a big deal unless its causing your hair to be sticky and snarl together, or unless its impacting your enjoyment of your hair. They are very protective so I definitely agree it's a good idea to reincorporate into your hair care

Length
    Waist/BCL/FT
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by RedIris View Post
    I use a lot of silicone and I oil my hair before shampooing. I still see a positive effect from the oil. It seems to me that your hair would have to be absolutely saturated in the stuff to potentially block the oil. Plus oil still has a benefit even if it's not penetrating the hair strand. Also the idea that silicones are like an impermeable plastic sheath around your hair is false (not saying you think this, just saying it feeds the narrative that silicones need to be completely removed). Silicones are a completely different chemical compound than plastics and they create a semi-permeable coating on the hair, so "build-up" isn't really a big deal unless its causing your hair to be sticky and snarl together, or unless its impacting your enjoyment of your hair. They are very protective so I definitely agree it's a good idea to reincorporate into your hair care

Thanks for the reply!
    Well, actually that is exactly what I have been believing about silicones. I feel like I am making my hair completely impermeable and that it will dry from the inside out. Haha. Quite dramatic! So, thanks for setting that notion straight. I feel like it would be good for my hair to get that extra slip and protection that only silicones can give. It's at least worth a try :-)

Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SeppV View Post
    Thanks for the reply!
    Well, actually that is exactly what I have been believing about silicones. I feel like I am making my hair completely impermeable and that it will dry from the inside out. Haha. Quite dramatic! So, thanks for setting that notion straight. I feel like it would be good for my hair to get that extra slip and protection that only silicones can give. It's at least worth a try :-)
    Ah I'm so glad I could help!! Yes, silicones will not choke the life out of your hair! It is conditioning agents that give our hair the "moisturized" feeling, and silicones are a conditioning agent, along with cationic surfactants, fatty alcohols and oils, etc. They provide lubrication and protection, not murderous hair strangling ahaha. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results of your silicone endeavors

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/Class/TERM
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SeppV View Post
    Thanks for the reply!
    I spent ages being mortified of cones too, haha. I had to change my views when I found out that there are other ingredients which create worse buildup than cones, and my sulfate- and cone-free routine was really really harming my hair. Like, it was dry, brittle and couldn't grow past hip because it was splitting and breaking off. My current routine sounds like my 20 year old self's nightmare, but it helped me grow the longest hair I'd ever had, sooooooooooo
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ TERM
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018

Length
    17"/17"/34"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Since oiling my hair before washing is considered part of CWC from what I've read, im wondering, do any of you combine your hair care routine with the NP/SO method of SMP as well?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Copperdragon View Post
    Since oiling my hair before washing is considered part of CWC from what I've read, im wondering, do any of you combine your hair care routine with the NP/SO method of SMP as well?
    Oiling is not part of CWC; CWC stands on its own. Same as with WCC. What you do before applying the method, is of course up to you, totally!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)