Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What do ya'll think of afros

Default What do ya'll think of afros

Just outta curiousity what do ya'll think of afros and cornrows...those such hairstyles

if you wanna see more pictures of my hair look at my myspace its in my signature
    heres my myspace:

"Life is but a dream"

Length
    25"/40"/40"
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I think that the natural texture of kinky hair is gorgeous when it's allowed to grow long and wild and freely. I posted this photo on the old LHC, it's one of my favorites:

It's from a GAP ad, and I think their hair-- especially the little girl's-- is beautiful.

Length
    I Do/n't M/esure
    Type
    3c/M/C/ii/iii

Oh wow! I have always admired that photograph. Yes I agree, I think Afro's can be cool when it is wild and loose, but also well groomed and tamed to enhance the natural texture (that may seem oxymoronic, but you know what I mean). As far as cornrows, it depends. I do admire some really intricate designs that I have seen, but personally my hair can't take that kind of manipulation. I have had my hair styled like that years ago and it just always tore at my hair .

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

I have always admired kinky, natural african american hair. Short cropped fro's or wild and freaky long..... I think its amazing. (also love me some dreads)

I'll be honest too, i think its a CRIME the way the beauty industry and "Popular culture" manipulates those with enthic hair varieties into this "barbie" type of mentality. All the weaves, tight braids and cornrows (all VERY damaging) to gain some "perfection" of hair. I really wish more people would just let their hair, do what it does by nature...... its so beautiful.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    7/35/50
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I think natural hair is beautiful, and afros look gorgeous.
    Lady Guanyin of the Iron Leaf in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2a, M, iii. Hip length achieved, Nov 2010! Next goal: 100% natural coloured hair.

Curls & Kinks Galore! nappywomyn's Avatar
    Length
    bald/17/38
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii/iii

I Love, love, LOVE that picture!! I wish I could find out who the models are - just fabulous!

{~*~} Nappydelphia (updated!) {~*~} Official Bibliodragon {*}

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

LOVE natural hair. That picture above is gorgeous!

I love braids and cornrows when they're real hair. I'm not a big fan of extensions of any variety.
    Picture on left in front of "my" flower.
    Photo Album
    No more Mr. Nice Gaius.

Length
    25"/40"/40"
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by nappywomyn View Post
    I Love, love, LOVE that picture!! I wish I could find out who the models are - just fabulous!
    The woman is a photographer, Lorna Simpson, and the girl is her daughter... You can see another picture from the Gap series here.

Length
    .5 in/mbl/wsl
    Type
    4a/4b/F/iii

I love it when women of Africa descent wear their natural texture. Nothing wrong with variety, but there is something wrong with hating and constantly criticizing your characterists.

I would rock a fro regularly, but in the summer they get hot. lol and shrink.

The picture above is beautiful, its great to see such love and naturalness.
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids) Curlies
    April 3, Curlies will unite at 6:30pm for a Dinner and the Color Purple Play.
    Message me for further details about being part of our Meetup group.

Length
    I Do/n't M/esure
    Type
    3c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    I have always admired kinky, natural african american hair. Short cropped fro's or wild and freaky long..... I think its amazing. (also love me some dreads)

I'll be honest too, i think its a CRIME the way the beauty industry and "Popular culture" manipulates those with enthic hair varieties into this "barbie" type of mentality. All the weaves, tight braids and cornrows (all VERY damaging) to gain some "perfection" of hair. I really wish more people would just let their hair, do what it does by nature...... its so beautiful.
    Oh wow Kirin, that was so well said.