Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it okay to sleep in a rope braid?

Length
    16?/19.5/30
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Default Is it okay to sleep in a rope braid?

I try to braid my hair at night to keep oils off my breaking-out-too-much jawline, but they come out. French or regular.

I did a rope braid last night (cool! hadn't tried it, and it's SHORT, only 2 or 3 twists, but can't wait until I can use it as a real style) and it STAYED all night.

I can't imagine it would be any more damaging than sleeping on a regular braid, but I wanted to check with the "experts", lol

Bea

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    1c/F/iii

I've done rope braids overnight before. They give pretty waves ^.^
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    18"/hip/class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

me too shouldn't damage your hair
    an 8 year journey, with a 3 year stop at waist. Traveling along to classic. F/M 2a/b iii 31.5" January 2013http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ge=7&p=2371372 a year without trims ....trying!

Length
    5"/Class/Class
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Why not?

Grrrrrr... this thing is telling me (once again) that my entry is too short. So much for the brief, pithy answer!
    <a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/homekeepinggran/ChineseBun.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ChineseBun.jpg</a> But if a woman have long hair it is a glory to her. ~ I Cor. 11:15

Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MemSahib View Post
    Why not?

Grrrrrr... this thing is telling me (once again) that my entry is too short. So much for the brief, pithy answer!
    That's okay. We can all imagine just how "brief" and "pithy" you can be in real life! ;o)

I couldn't imagine why a rope braid would be more harmful than a three-strand cross-over braid (I was going to say "regular" braid, but I'm not "brief" and "pithy" like MemSahib!).

In fact, if not wound tightly, the rope braid might well be even better for your hair.

I'm curious, when you make a "regular" braid for sleeping, do you secure it first, then braid it, or do you just braid it?

With a rope braid, are you securing it, or just braiding it? I can't do a rope braid without putting my hair in a pony and then doing the rope.

This would hold the braid in better, too, which is why I ask....
    The Blog: Skipping Barefoot Down the Rocky Road of Life

Length
    n/a/37"/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Of course you can sleep with a rope braid if it works fine for you. Just something to be aware of - on my hair, rope braids cause too much twisting and increased number of splits. But this might not be a problem with less fragile hair than mine.

1c/2a/F/ii, current length 37"
    BCL (37") reached! Next minigoal: TBL (40"). Final goal: Terminal

Length
    16?/19.5/30
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Well, I'll keep trying the rope braids They are very cool looking.

Don't ask me how I did it without fastening a pony tail first; beginner's luck? I just split it, twisted one, clipped it to my head with a claw clip, did the other side. Then unclipped Twist 1, twisted both together (in the opposite direction) and amazingly had a cool little rope braid.

On my regular braids, I had not done a pony either; just started at the nape, or did a french braid. I don't know why they keep falling out. Bear in mind, my hair is between shoulder and APL, so pretty shortish and VERY thick, so my little braid stub is like 4 or 5" long. I think I need to buy some of those terrycloth tiny hair bands. Part of the problem is that my bathroom ponytail band is about 10 years old and not very stretchy and doens' thave much staying power

I'll hit Walmart tomorrow.

***I believe this is my 100th post!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

Bea

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy E. View Post
    In fact, if not wound tightly, the rope braid might well be even better for your hair.

I'm curious, when you make a "regular" braid for sleeping, do you secure it first, then braid it, or do you just braid it?

With a rope braid, are you securing it, or just braiding it? I can't do a rope braid without putting my hair in a pony and then doing the rope.

This would hold the braid in better, too, which is why I ask....

Loves coffee & updos Chamomile betty's Avatar
    Length
    20.5/BS/30
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I wear rope braids with no problems. I do switch back and forth between the braid and a high bun. I think the braid keeps the tangles underneath to a minimum.

I agree, nice waves the next morning.
    20.5 ~ BS ~ 30 *Natural Blond w/ High & Lowlights* Bangs/Long Layers* Cone and Non Cone Products
    Always trying new products & styles.

Length
    22"/37"/36"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Is it okay to sleep in a rope braid?

Hi, everyone! Yes, I think it is okay to sleep in a rope braid. I rope-braid it wet after washing my hair when I want somewhat spirally waves in my hair the next day. This works as long as it dries completely. I have to make a ponytail first, whether it's a 2-strand rope braid, a herringbone braid, or a regular 3-strand braid; otherwise, the braids won't stay in. Even with the securing, they do end up looking fuzzy after just a few hours -- usually some hairs escape at least partially. Happy braiding!
    Lady Kayleena Victoria of the Performance Stage
    in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights
    ******><>****><>****{+}****<><****<><******

Length
    24"/30"/45"
    Type
    1b/F/i

Default Re: Is it okay to sleep in a rope braid?

I don't imagine it would be any worse than a regular braid.
    I've recently started braiding my hair before bed; previously I NEVER did, but it does seem to reduce my shedding. I'm not sure, because I've never had super-long hair, but I think that the longer your hair gets, the easier it will stay in a braid through the night. I use very loose cloth elastics to avoid pinching my hair too much, and recently the braids have been lasting through the night much more frequently they did a few inches ago...
    Good luck!