Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair snapping with hair sticks

Length
    SL/Waist/TB
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Hair snapping with hair sticks

I've just bought some gorgeous wooden hair sticks but every time I attempt to put them in my hair, something awful happens! No matter how gently I try to push them through a bun (slow wiggling around, changing entry locations) I can hear and feel hairs in the bun snapping against the pressure.

This even happens when I'm combing out my hair after a shower! First the hair stretches (eek!) and then it snaps, no matter how slow and gentle I comb. I do have fine hair, but this is ridiculous! Any advice?

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Hair snapping with hair sticks

What sort of buns are you making and how tight are you making them?

Length
    pixie/TB/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Maybe try easing up a little on the twist of hair to make your bun?

I know this won't always work (have to comb sometimes!), but if I don't comb prior to making a bun, hair will hold better.

I usually wash at night, and don't comb my hair out until morning when it's dry or nearly dry.

Queen of Apathy HairColoredHair's Avatar
    Length
    short/knee/???
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Also, perhaps don't comb your hair while wet. Wet hair is very stretchy and easily damaged. Also, what sort of comb are you using?
    Fav Products: Honey and Horn Combs! Current Length: Just above knee (a 'little' trim)
    Goal: Uh... Moo!

Length
    Jaw/n/a/Hip?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i

I think people with thick hair have to wait longer until they can manage hairsticks. I'm no expert on thick hair though!
    If you can manage looser buns *tee hee* the hairsticks would probably be able to slide in easier
    Hanging out around BSL and just going with the flow.

Length
    SL/Waist/TB
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Looser buns it is, then ^.^

I use a wide tooth comb and I have to comb my hair when it's wet or else tangles occur! Ah well.

Length
    -/Shldr/-
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

I find that sticks which are too thick/blunt-ended have this effect for me. You might want to seek out really pointy ended ones or very slim metal ones like Quattro or VK Designs (if your hair isn't slippery ... VK are very shiny in finish).

© GRD, 3 March 2007

I don't know what kind of hair sticks you got, but they vary in hair-friendliness. The ones I really like are by Ketylo. They have never damaged my hair. In fact, I am wearing one right now.

Hair sticks that have carved designs on them snap my hair. I also got a bag of wooden "blanks" from a jewelry supply website, and they only worked after I sanded the ends. Before I did, they had snaggy horrible ends that were impossible to put through a bun.

Type
    1c/M/iii

I would check to make sure your sticks are very smooth, use an emery board to smooth them if you have to. And, as Tabitha said, make sure the ends are super pointed. I actually use chop sticks as hair sticks. They work the best for me.

If your hair is snapping when you are doing a bun then I would try making the bun looser or even try a different style of bun. There are some buns that have different "pressure points."

Combing I would take my comb with me in the shower and comb your hair while it still has conditioner in it. Then rinse gently and you might be able to wait until it's dry before recombing.

Good luck!

Length
    SL/Waist/TB
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

My hair sticks are very smooth and have pointed ends ^.^ and I do comb my hair out in the shower! Teehee I just have ridiculous hair =P