Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on Expensive Hair Products

Length
    bsl/tail/34
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Default Question on Expensive Hair Products

I was watching a tv hair advert today (oh yes) and it got me thinking do you think that spending lots on hair products and hair care actually makes a difference to hair?
    has buying expensive hair products worked for you?
    or do you spend hardly anything and still proud of your hair?
    Your views would be appreciated. Have a good day guys
    Last edited by starlights; July 31st, 2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: error

Sometimes, you like to let the hair do the talking!
    ~James Brown~

Default Re: Question on Expensive Hair Products

I used Kerastase when I was flat ironing and styling and my hair absolutely loved it, wouldn't get along well with anything else. But after LHC and letting my natural curl pattern show, and gaining length, the cones and the moldability just wasn't my cup of tea anymore.
    My hair gets along just fine at 8 bucks every several months.

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

Not really. They only include more cones and more protein to make damaged hair look healthy. Sure, that works for many people, but not me. When i had permanent extensions on, they handed me an expensive leave-in CONEditioner (9 out of 10 ingredients was a cone!) which made my hair brittle and gunky...(eewwww )

Chin /// Shoulder /// APL /// BSL ///Waist /// Hip /// BCL /// Tailbone /// Classic (final goal) /// All one length Classic

Length
    :(/:|/:)
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Most the time, what you end up paying for with the expensive products is the name, the pretty packaging, and the marketing. Check the ingredients lists, and aside from fragrances and vanity ingredients (you know, the magic pearl-extract shine enhancers!, minute amounts of topical vitamins, half a grain of cassia, etc.etc.etc.), you'll likely find an identical shampoo/conditioner for half the price.

Or, ya know, look for the blatant knock off versions (Sally's GVP anyone?) that work just as well without the Ohh La La label.

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

My skin determines which hair products I buy...unfortunately every drugstore brand I've ever tried has caused itchiness and breakouts on my back from the runoff in the shower.

When I stick to natural brands my skin is totally happy...Hugo Naturals, John Masters Organics, Sevi, Aubrey Organics, Max Green Alchemy....those are my safe brands that never irritate my skin. I pay between $8 and $20 for an 8 ounce bottle of shampoo or conditioner that doesn't irritate my skin. I'm ok with that.

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I have to echo Kaijah on that one. Sometimes pricier products can really be useful to some people since they might work with that particular head of hair, but other times you're just paying for the brand. The example being how some people love using Biolage Conditioning Balm, which is maybe $20 a bottle, while I use a generic version (same ingredients) for about $6 a bottle.

Ultimately many people stop worrying as much about brand name, but end up focusing more on the ingredients in the products and what combos may best apply to them.

Type
    1c/C/iii

I don't care a hoot for brand names or exotic ingredients, however, my holy grail products are expensive. The shampoo I use, Aubrey Organics Calaguala Fern, costs 10 and my leave-in conditioner is Philip Kingsley's Elasticizer which is 20 per tub.

I have used cheap products in the past but they just did not work as well for me. Having said that, I have used other expensive products and they were awful. It just depends on the formulation I guess.
    Amo, amas, amat, amodimethicone, ammonium laureth sulphate....I'm feeling the love .

Length
    3 in./BSL/TLB
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

Does buying expensive products make a difference to my hair? Sometimes. Depends on the product. As Kaijah said - many are just pretty packaging and a name brand. But some may make a major difference if you hair is highly processed. Mine isn't so it usually doesn't help that much. But the difference for me between expensive and inexpensive is that inexpensive tends to sit on top while more expensive seems to sink into my hair and feel like nothing is there, but my hair is happy. I only noticed this because my hair is often pulled back and it frizzes so I'll wet my hands and run them over my hair in the front to smooth it back down. Cheap products make my hair(and hands) feel slimey, expensive ones feel like nothing.

Buying expensive products worked better for me when I did more to my hair(chemical, dye, and heat style), now it's nice but not necessary.

Currently I spend a lot more than I should just on experimenting with products(both expensive and inexpensive) - but I can honestly say that I haven't found a treatment that works as well for my hair than a cheapy SMT with Suave or V05.

Hope that helps.

Length
    15.5?/Shldr/30-34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

A lot of people here use VO5 or Suave for Conditioner only washing.

I personally use a shampoo bar that costs $5 a bar, vinegar with tap water(basically free since a jug lasts me ages), and a conditioner that is $10 a bottle, but is all natural.

Shampoos basically have the same ingredients and if you dilute them as many people here do, you might not notice much of a difference. Pantene is basically the same as most salon products!
    Fast typer.
    I have fine hair that I'm working on growing long!

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Fractalsofhair View Post
    A lot of people here use VO5 or Suave for Conditioner only washing.

I personally use a shampoo bar that costs $5 a bar, vinegar with tap water(basically free since a jug lasts me ages), and a conditioner that is $10 a bottle, but is all natural.

Shampoos basically have the same ingredients and if you dilute them as many people here do, you might not notice much of a difference. Pantene is basically the same as most salon products!
    I notice a big difference in my hair and skin with a shampoo made from SLS vs a gentler surfactant like decyl glucoside or decyl polyglucose. Dry hair and dry/itchy skin, or clean hair and skin that's not dry... It's a pretty big difference to me! I don't usually see my kind of shampoo, with all of my other ingredient requirements, for less than $2/ounce, but maybe it's out there...