Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock and a Hard Place

Default Rock and a Hard Place

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here so please go easy on me. I am a rock drummer and have been in and out of bands since I was 16 years old. I am now 33 and have finally landed my dream gig. However this does come with some nightmares.

The Manager of the band loves my style of wardrobe and of course style of playing the music. However he is a little disappointed that I do not have the "rock-star long hair". He ordered me to go speak with some PR people that work with the band to discuss a new look for me.

Needless to say it has been suggested that I get hair extensions. I am very very very freaked by that. After doing some google-ing I found this board.

Can anyone please help me get pointed on the right track here. Before you ask a "wig" will just not work. They said extensions or they drop me and find another drummer.

I suppose I am just worried I will look too girlie?? not to mention going into a salon and having this done. And what do I do IF I do this glued in, clamp, really have respect for you gals with naturally long hair!!

Hope you gals can help a rocker with this

Rockman33

Length
    short/19"/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Re: Rock and a Hard Place

Yay to you for landing a gig!!!! I don't think you need to worry about looking "girlie" Loads of guys have long hair and look all the more manly for it. Don't worry about the salon either, when they see you I'm sure giggling and teasing is the last thing they'll do if you already have the rocker dress down. They've seen it all anyway. As for method, you'll probably need to do more research into it, but the hair dresser will be able to help you out on that decision. There are a LOT of different methods, and each has its ups and downs. DO try to get human hair, though, as it looks best and holds up well. I hope you figure this out! Good luck, and tear up some stage.

Oh yeah its for sure an awesome gig. Thanks!! I didn't want to make it sound like I didn't know what a rock star was suppose to look like. I grew up a rocker as I mentioned so yeah I know how it can look on most of those men. I think I am more worried about the "living" with long hair.

I have always been a clean cut when it came to my hair it was never shaggy or over my ears. So I guess its more the how to live it with it that really scares me.

Yeah since I made the first post I have been on you tube a million times watching things on extensions. There sure are a ton of information on it. Is there anyone here that has had any experiences with this? Or could maybe recommend someone who would be willing to explain it all to me?

Rockman33

Length
    short/19"/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I have no experience with extensions so I can't help you there, but the living aspect is a different story. If you take care of it (there are tons of tips on this site for that. Check out the articles section) things will go real smooth for you. If extensions are done right they shouldn't be shaggy or messy looking. You can keep it up so it is out of the way and your hair care routine would be simple. Just wash and condition as you usually do. Seriously, this place is great. Have a poke around and I guarantee you'll find very helpful info. There are plenty of long haired guys around here that im sure would be glad to give you advice on "living life as a long haired guy". Sorry I don't have more info for you on the extensions themselves. I tend to see them as regular hair just put on rather than grown out. The way it came to be is the only difference. Other than that you'd be just like any long haired guy by way of maintenance. Good luck and reach out to some of the LHC guys

You have been a great help and I can see a veteran at the long hair stuff. I think knowing that there are longed haired guys here on the forum maybe a useful thing!!

Wow the fact that you make it sound so easy LOL I am sure it is when you have been growing it out and you have a more day to day through the years type of thing going on. For me though its wake up with short 2" hair to 18-24" in a matter of hours. And then have to learn to live with it in a heartbeat.

Either way, if any of the guys see this post, I'd love to chat with ya.

Thanks again Petite Simone, you'll be on the VIP list when we come through your state or country (that is if I go through with it)!!

Rockman33

Length
    Pixie/3"/20"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Huh. i don't see why having long hair is so amazingly important to be in a band, looks shouldn't matter as much as the actual music!
    .. with biscuit skin and hair as long as the sound of honey..
    Pixie Chin Shoulder APL BSL Waist!

Banned
    Type
    1a/C/iii

Hey Rockman. I'm actually a hairstylist, and I will tell you that in my own professional opinion that hair extensions really aren't the best way to go for a natural looking head of long hair. I have myself done some extensions on my clients, so I have indeed seen how extensions really look like on someone's head. To be honest, you can almost always tell if someone is wearing extensions on their head. But especially in your case, since your real hair is so short, the massive difference in length that would occur between your real hair and the extension hair would make the whole look rediculous to tell the truth.

If I were you, I'd simply patiently grow out my real hair. Your real hair would look much better and would obviously suit you better than extensions would. In the meantime, I really don't see why a man with short hair can't be in a band. I see plenty of artists out there who actually have short hair or in Chris Daughtry's case a totally shaved head, and they are making millions! If I were you, I would actually simply keep my own hair the way it is and grow it out naturally if you want it to be long.

I could not agree with you more. If the music Rock's who cares!! But to be up front with you, all of the other members have long hair to at least chest length and management feels that I would be the outcast of the bunch. It's just not an avenue they want to go down. Which I totally respect.

Second let me thank you as a pro hairstylist weighing in on this is great. That's what I was looking for. I was told that my hair would have to be longer before the extensions were put in anyway for them to look "normal". So agreed at my current length it would be a stupid idea.

We (the band) are currently in rehearsals for a nationwide tour opening for a big name headliner. Of course I am not at liberty to express who that is at the present time. However, we have until October before we get the show on the road. Management was hoping to have me ready to go extensions wise by start of October so I'd have time to grow hair out a little more. I guess you can say if I don't go with their solution they will have to find someone else to replace me.

In your experiences with extensions that were not good, could you tell me the type they were?? Glued in or stitched in??

Thanks again, this forum is already turning out to be a useful tool!!

Rockman33

Banned
    Type
    1a/C/iii

Rockman, I work with strand by strand fusion extensions. I don't do any kind of glueing or stitching or anything of that sort, and please even if you eventually decide that you do want extensions DON'T and I repeat DON'T use the glue method or the stitching method. Both of those methods are extremely damaging to your real hair and will cause a lot of your real hair to eventually fall out because they damage the roots of your hair.

I have to warn you though, even strand by strand extensions are still somewhat damaging to your real hair. See, all kinds of extensions put extra weight on the roots of your hair, so that your hair is now not only supporting its own weight but it now is forced to support all the extra weight of all that extension hair. Over time, this can eventually lead to your own natural hair being literally pulled out because over time it simply can't support all that extra weight. So a lot of people who use hair extensions frequently often eventually develop bald spots.

If I were you, I would honestly really grow out my own hair. You are not damaging your own hair obviously and when it does eventually get long, you can totally claim that hair as your own real hair.

Chocoholic bookworm little_acorn's Avatar
    Length
    17"/27"/31"
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Welcome to LHC Rockman33

I understand the dilema you are in. It sounds like to keep your job you will have to get the extensions. If you get them in October your hair will be an inch or so longer by this point, which may help a little. I am not a long-haired man but I do happily live with one - he happily lets me tie it up for him or braid at night. If you aren't into braiding you might want to look up Purplebudda's banded tail to help you contain your new locks and keep them tidy at night.

Hopefully you can grow out your own hair while using the extensions temporarily :