Page 1395 of 1407 FirstFirst ... 395895129513451385139313941395139613971405 ... LastLast
Results 13,941 to 13,950 of 14068

Thread: Giving up the dye/bleach and growing out natural? Share your progress.

Length
    buzz/15/35
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Giving up the dye/bleach and growing out natural? Share your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by redfrau View Post
    What I'm questioning, though, is why my natural hair is never enough for me. I can remember the moment I first colored it. I was 13 years old. For my entire life, my parents had told me how beautiful my hair was. I thought I was Rapunzel, the way they talked about my hair. Then one day, my mom came home with a highlighting kit and told me "We're going to highlight your hair!" I was stunned. From that moment, I had this belief that I couldn't be beautiful without coloring my hair. I've worked on that a lot but it's pretty deeply entrenched.

Heavy stuff for a Thursday morning/afternoon/evening ... I'm looking forward to seeing the real me.
    That's rough, redfrau - it's so easy for parents to instil damaging messages without meaning to, and then it's so hard to uproot those messages! My mum never encouraged me to colour my own hair, but she has always been assiduous at covering her greys, which I think has made me less accepting of mine.

There is so much inspiration and support on this thread (I've been lurking admiringly for a while), I'm sure you can grow out your natural colour if that's what you want. The first few months may be hard, but hopefully, if you push through it, you'll begin to see how dimensional and healthy your roots are compared to your coloured ends. Good luck!
    Growing out a buzzcut since September 2019

buzz -- shaggy pixie-ish mess -- bob -- SL -- APL -- MBL -- waist -- hip

Length
    13.5/18.25/24
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Giving up the dye/bleach and growing out natural? Share your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by DropStitches View Post
    That's rough, redfrau - it's so easy for parents to instil damaging messages without meaning to, and then it's so hard to uproot those messages! My mum never encouraged me to colour my own hair, but she has always been assiduous at covering her greys, which I think has made me less accepting of mine.

There is so much inspiration and support on this thread (I've been lurking admiringly for a while), I'm sure you can grow out your natural colour if that's what you want. The first few months may be hard, but hopefully, if you push through it, you'll begin to see how dimensional and healthy your roots are compared to your coloured ends. Good luck!
    Thank you, DropStitches! My mother also covered her grays for decades. I can see how it would be hard to accept them. Maybe you can find a gray 'role model' that can inspire you? I love Yasmina Rossi's natural gray hair. But I think also, there's nothing wrong with coloring them a color that makes you happy. I may decide after growing mine out again that I just feel more 'me' with brighter hair, and there's nothing wrong with that. I think you're incredibly brave for going down to a buzzcut!

Length
    Buzz/Chin/Floor

@spoon. You could always start growing your roots and then go to a hairdresser and get them to match it, that way when it grows you wont notice it as much

Length
    APL/BSL+/?
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Idun View Post
    Congratulations on your 4 years of growing out the dye! Your hair looks amazing. Love all the tones of golden.
    Quote Originally Posted by rachdun View Post
    Your hair looks amazing, Dendra
    Thank you both so much Happy to be finally done with the process!

Finally finished growing out natural colour!

Length
    0"/MBL/?
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Hello gorgeous people! I think I'm finally ready to join this thread.

I bleached my hair last August so that I could get henna to show up on it. After hennaing my hair, I realized that red hair makes me look jaundiced. So, I dyed over that with a variety of different semis.

Dying over the henna has become tiresome and I have a feeling all that semi dye was weighing down my texture. Id using semis to cover the henna means having no texture I think I would rather just grow it out as is.

Here's a photo that show my regrowth, as well as my henna stained hair and the some-what greenish tips where the last of my black semi is still holding on for dear life.

Last edited by jane_marie; June 3rd, 2020 at 12:36 AM.

Your hair is really beautiful, jane_marie! It's quite funny how we always see ourselves as imperfect but other people perceive us so differently (in a good way). I think that the colours merge into each other subtly .

Oh, I forgot what I wanted to say here in the first place . I have a bit of a regrowth (haven't measured yet) and I thought my hair is so dull compared to the colours I've always had on my hair. But Facebook 'reminded' me a photo from two years ago where I had black hair and I saw how it made me look so pale; I know that my natural dark hair softens my face a lot more than a box dye... I am so happy I didn't give in the temptation to colour my hair again.

Length
    HL/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Welcome here, jane_marie! Is your natural colour a blue-black?

ioanaxena, for once, Facebook achieved something positive!
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Length
    0"/MBL/?
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ioanaxena View Post
    Your hair is really beautiful, jane_marie! It's quite funny how we always see ourselves as imperfect but other people perceive us so differently (in a good way). I think that the colours merge into each other subtly .
    Thank you. That's incredibly kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    Welcome here, jane_marie! Is your natural colour a blue-black?
    Thanks Ylva! Part of me really wishes my hair was a natural blue black. In reality it's more like the color of espresso a sort of very very deep brown. It can look a bit different depending on the lighting. I think it might look blueish here because of the shadow of my apple tree.

Length
    Buzz/Chin/Floor

Welcome to the growing out club! It's hard honestly, even though you really can't tell at a glance yet, it's the action of dying I find soothing.

but I have noticed since I stopped my hair is slowly beginning to thicken up a bit so it really needs the rest, it's just boring!.