Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How long should conditioner be left on to be effective?

Default How long should conditioner be left on to be effective?

Hello LHC! This might have been asked before but how long should a conditioner be left on (when using it AFTER shampoo). When I need to wash out coconut oil, I usually leave it on for an hour and wash out, but how about when using conditioner after a shampoo, on wet hair?
    Some of my conditioners say 3 minutes, others say just wash out after applying it (?). I guess the longer you leave it on, the better it would work but I don't really feel like leaving it on wet hair for an hour.... TIA!
    Last edited by pinklemonade; July 2nd, 2010 at 08:36 AM.

Queen of Apathy HairColoredHair's Avatar
    Length
    short/knee/???
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: How long should conditioner be left on to be effective?

I usually leave it on as long as I can but I don't stress about timing. Generally I put it on and then do other things (shaving, etc) and then rinse it out.
    Fav Products: Honey and Horn Combs! Current Length: Just above knee (a 'little' trim)
    Goal: Uh... Moo!

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I think you can do whichever, but I like to try to leave my conditioner on while I do my other shower duties (shaving, soaping up, etc). I just put my hair under one of those plastic shower caps when it's full of conditioner that way the conditioner doesn't wash out. Oh, and I always reuse the plastic shower caps many multiple times before throwing them away because I'm all about not being wasteful when it comes to plastic.

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    .5/4/30
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I think this question might also have something to do with your hair type. For example, I have fine oily hair, so I wash it out right away, while some members might have dry or highly textured hair that doesn't allow condi to soak in real quickly, so they wait a lot longer. Try one method for a few days and another for a few more days so you can see which works best for your hair ^_^
    Lady Bellethiel, Sorceress of Endorphins, Seeker of Knowledge|OotLHK|
    ~Shaved~Pixie~Shaggy Mess~Chin~SL~APL~BSL~WL~

Length
    chin/BSL/BSL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I'm a newbie here, but I also leave my conditioner in as long as I can. I do a quick shampoo of my roots, apply conditioner to the length, and then leave it in while I wash my body and face, shave my legs, etc. etc. and rinse it out right before turning off the shower.

Sipping Darjeeling with Jesus and LisaJaney
    Length
    24/42.5/??
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by brunetka View Post
    I'm a newbie here, but I also leave my conditioner in as long as I can. I do a quick shampoo of my roots, apply conditioner to the length, and then leave it in while I wash my body and face, shave my legs, etc. etc. and rinse it out right before turning off the shower.
    Welcome to LHC brunetka! This is what I do, too, regardless of what the conditioner label instructs.

~ click the pic ~

Rodent Of Unusual Size Capybara's Avatar
    Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

When I CWC, I leave the first conditioner in until I rinse the shampoo out (at which point some of the conditioner invariably will wash out as well), but I do the last C right after the shampoo rinse. I then do the rest of my shower (washing, shaving, etc.) and rinse the conditioner out at the very end.

When I CO, the conditioner stays in for the entire duration of my shower. I rinse it out at the end (scalp massage/washing the scalp with conditioner is the first thing I do in the shower when I CO).

Try a few methods, and see what works best for you
    I feel like a longhair again! Retire Your Ruler for 90 Days!

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by brunetka View Post
    Welcome to LHC, brunetka! Like you and Tresses, that's what I do too!
    Proud Member of the Renegray Gang
    Lady Arethusa of the Gossamer Garden in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I also leave mine in while I do the other things in the shower. I usually pile it on top of my head with a bobby pin, turn the shower off, then wash my face, soap up, etc. After I am all soapy, I turn the shower on again and start rinsing off: face first then let the hair down and rinse everything else ending with a cold water rinse of the hair.

❀☾ⓟᵃᵑᵈᵒᴿᵃ ℒᵒᵑᶢᶩᵒᶜᵏᶳ☽❁ princessp's Avatar
    Length
    27"/39"/42"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Yes, I do the same thing. Put it in, perform shower duties, then rinse out. Sometimes I condition twice since I am doing CO.

Welcome!
    Pandora LongLocks of the Forbidden Treasure in the Order of the Long Haired Knights