Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Henna Oil?

Default Re: Henna Oil?

Any updates on this? I am thinking about making an infusion with henna and other ayurvedic powders for oil rinses.

Length
    pixie/Nape/25+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I really like the sound of this. And I am in no way an experienced Henna person so please excuse that But doesn't Henna require heat for dye release and heat to do it's thing as far as the acid bonding to the keratin and sealing the hair? Would there be any real benefit to applying Henna without hot/boiling water/heat of some sort? I used to use a henna shampoo and never really noticed a difference, althouh it was rinsed out right away.
    We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves. - Dalai Lama

oh ... good comment. I should be able to get it to release in warm oil but then what good is it as an oil rinse after it cools, and several days, weeks later?

I have hibiscus infusions. I think I'll add some fenugreek. THANKS for your comment

Length
    pixie/Nape/25+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Haha - no prob! Didn't think my comment would help at all, so thanks for the THANKS
    We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves. - Dalai Lama

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Katze View Post
    I am a henna artist and have never heard of henna oil as being particularly useful in any way. There are products sold as 'mehlabiya oil' which are intended for use with henna body art, and are either a dodgy mix of essential oils OR contain things like kerosene - so I always tell clients to avoid such products.
    Unfortunately people do get these oils mixed up. The oil Katze refers to is sold for people using henna on the skin. Adding henna to oil to produce an extract of henna in the oil is very traditional in India. It is used for helping to treat scalp problems and for hair growth.
    You will find it in most Indian hair oils but listed as lawsonia alba instead of inermis.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Account Closed by Member Request

You don't need heat to release the henna unless you want colour. The henna oil I use strengthens a little without colouring. I added some Yemeni powder to Olive oil and steeped in a dark place for 2 weeks. The oil looks greenish, but in the light it has a reddish hue. Very moisturising and I do believe it strengthens...it would be great with amla, actually.
    Last edited by little_cherry; October 16th, 2010 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    Unfortunately people do get these oils mixed up. The oil Katze refers to is sold for people using henna on the skin. Adding henna to oil to produce an extract of henna in the oil is very traditional in India. It is used for helping to treat scalp problems and for hair growth.
    You will find it in most Indian hair oils but listed as lawsonia alba instead of inermis.
    thanks. I will go to indusladies to search for a recipe

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by Choctaw View Post
    thanks. I will go to indusladies to search for a recipe
    Check here for a basic henna oil. One can add more herbs to this oil or even use a mix of coconut and olive oils.

Quote Originally Posted by little_cherry View Post
    Check here for a basic henna oil. One can add more herbs to this oil or even use a mix of coconut and olive oils.
    thank you! I started this one with coconut oil tonight.

Just an update on henna infused oils. I infused a jar of coconut oil with a few tablespoons of henna. I prepared another jar with henna, amla, brhami, maka, hibiscus & fenugreek infused in castor oil. I loved both of these blends in oil rinses