Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving money : your best hair/beauty buys

Length
    apl/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Saving money : your best hair/beauty buys

I am trying to save money for my graduate studies starting in 2 months...

This last year, I have indulged in many quite luxurious hair expenses... This wasn't very wise... I'm sure many of you know what I mean, trying natural products, buying great expensive little bottles of oil, aloe, hair toys, wood comb, etc. etc.

After a few months of such delightful pleasures, I know this cannot go on and I have to be strict about my "beauty budget" ... yet, I don't want to compromise the "beauty results"...

So, I came up with a minimalist plan for next year :

0 $ - Benign neglect
    0 $ - WO wash when it's enough
    0 $ - self trimms when needed
    5 $ - small bottle of olive oil (I find it's really the best oil for my hair) or finish the oils I already bought
    0 $ - trying not to buy new conditioners (use the ones I have, but not in excess either... when it's needed) and no more shampoos (for the rare clarifying, I will use the ones I have, diluted. Bottles should last a long time)
    0 $ - use my wood comb only (which I already have)
    0 $ - keeping my hair up a lot using the sticks / scrunchies, etc. that I have

What about you ?

Let say you had 10 of your best "tips and ingredients" that you would keep on the smallest hair budget possible, for one year time (starting right now with what you already have)... with the objective not to compromise the health and grow of your mane, what would you choose to keep in your "regimen" ?

What would you keep, what would you live without ?
    Last edited by Cailie; June 26th, 2010 at 01:39 PM.

Length
    bob/WL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Default Re: Saving money : your best hair/beauty buys

Honestly I have so much stuff that I could probably go almost a year without buying anything at all. I would keep my coconut oil- it lasts forever, anyway- and just buy cheapie VO5 conditioners. I have enough shampoo to clarify for the rest of my life.
    January 2012

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

A bottle of Suave Naturals shampoo costs $0.99 and a bottle of Suave Naturals conditioner costs $0.99. Compared to Pantene, it works as well or better and costs 1/4 as much!

I would live without ANY of the oils because I've discovered that they're nasty on my hair.

I don't use a comb because combs tear up my hair, but I've found a good, firm-bristled boar bristle brush at the drug store for under $5.00.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29372&dateline=127544  1604

Length
    18/21/31
    Type
    1a/M/i

The fun in my house is that 7 girls live here! SHARING! Free is better than cheap! We recently bought an organic shampoo that cleans well without having to use alot so we'll keep that up as well as using coconut oil. I think that eating well maintains the health of your hair as well, so I'll be trying to do that and drink lots of water!

Length
    TBL/BSL+/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

i also got tons of products,and i mean tons.the sad part is that i rarely use them.but it feels so good going shopping for my hair/skin etc.i would love if we could start a challenge to use up our stuff and record our progress.i spent so much money on that and i wish it would end.

for the most part, once you have a routine down long hair isn't that expensive. Suave naturals, V05, WhiteRain are all fine.. and even if I want products with more special ingredients..Nature's Gate, Vitamin Shoppe brand, Aubrey Organics aren't too expensive to me. Since alot of us wash only a few times a week, shampoo and conditioner can last quite awhile.

I don't buy alot of hair toys, but when I do they are ones I really like and I look at it as something I will keep for many years so I don't need to keep buying similar ones.

Coconut oil is cheap on amazon.com, and lasts quite awhile.

I buy most of my vitamins on sale..I think that's the best tip I can give..buy things on sale and using coupons really helps save alot of money.

Length
    16/26/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I agree with the oils- I've been trying sweet almond oil as a conditioner alternative and I'm so pleased, 3-4 drops leaves my hair so soft and easy to manage Here, I really don’t think I can find a 0.99 bottle of conditioner so almond oil is going to be my cheap alternative.

Length
    apl/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Cleopatra18 View Post
    i also got tons of products,and i mean tons.the sad part is that i rarely use them.but it feels so good going shopping for my hair/skin etc.i would love if we could start a challenge to use up our stuff and record our progress.i spent so much money on that and i wish it would end.
    Same here ! I have a full box of great high quality products ... you know, it's as if I have almond, avocado, argan, jojoba, coconut (etc) amazing oils... but I feel I NEED to buy some shea butter to add to the collection ... it's really not rational thinking, I really want to use what I have first in the future - in a most reasonable consumption way.

This morning, I was looking at the Mason Pearson / Kent brushes, and thinking I just need a great BBB ... lol !

this has to stop !

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I could go a year or two at least without buying much of anything. I have a good stash on hand. I could probably get by on White Rain conditioners and olive oil if I had to.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    ??/36.5/53
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Well, I have a huge stash and can and will go a long time using it up. BUT if I had to choose only a few of my essentials, I'd go with these.

Coconut Oil
    Castor Oil
    Abba shampoo
    Suave conditioner: All the sudden my hair doesn't want or need much conditioner, just the tiniest dime-sized amount to detangle.
    My Rick's wood comb