Thread: Need advice on a fabric for hair use

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    Bald/Knees/Dunno
    Type
    1b/C/iii

Default Need advice on a fabric for hair use

I ordered some Thai silk from a website to use for a sleep sock (A sleep cap for braids) and it was very expensive. I’m very disappointed with it though
    It feels heavy and has that glossy shine to it like a good quality silk
    But it’s very roughly woven. It looks like its woven rough on purpose for texture or something
    I bought expensive silk on purpose to get something as smooth as possible and now it feels like some satin at one tenth of the price would have been smoother

Maybe it’s smoother on a microscopic level where it won’t catch my hair strands?

Any input?

Length
    -/Shldr/-
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

I know what you mean - Thai silk very often has that characteristic, in fact maybe that's what's meant by Thai silk? sometimes called "wild silk", with slubs in it.

I can't comment on its microscopic qualities, but perhaps you could buy some of the cheap silk satin you mention, which will probably be very thin and not that strong, and use it as a lining for the Thai silk. So you have the Thai silk on the outside which will look nice when you wear it, and the smooth but not so strong satin on the inside, which will be supported by the outer layer.

© GRD, 3 March 2007

Length
    27/33/36
    Type
    1b/F/ii

There was another thread about silk sleeping fabric recently. I cannot find the thread, but I remember someone bought a large silk habotai scarf from DharmaTrading. The habotai fabric was not slick like satin, but because it had some texture, the scarf stayed on the head instead of slipping off while sleeping.

I have a silk scarf that has a slick side and a rougher more textured side, so I tried wearing it both ways while sleeping. The rougher side of the scarf stayed on my head during sleep much better than the slippery side, and I have been wearing it every night since I saw that post. I have noticed a lot of improvement over just using a silk pillowcase.

I don't think textured silk will catch strands of hair. Maybe you could tie it up like a scarf and sleep with it to confirm that it will not catch your hair before you waste your time making the cap, just in case it doesn't work.

Length
    20"/42"/term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by frizzinator View Post
    I have noticed a lot of improvement over just using a silk pillowcase.
    Improvement as in what? Like lack or static? Fewer split ends? Fewer knots? etc...
    ~Ny
    Lady Nynaeve of the Sword in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Inflammatory Breast Cancer - No Lumps, Not detected by mammograms.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=63326

"Some women don't want the land, or gold. Just the man..." ~Nynaeve
    "For in the plot we find more than just a man, we find the idea of that man, the spirit of that man, and that is what we must never forget." Evey (V)

Length
    1-2"/pixie/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Well, I guess I'll put in my "." I would just run my hand over the roughly woven surface. If the texture is at all abrasive, I would pass on wearing it over the hair. I used to weave for a living, and worked with raw silk, from winding the bobbins, to the final product; to me, the raw/expensive type silk, once woven and washed, felt porous like cotton to me.
    Growing out natural from shaved head. **No Trimming 2016** 1C/F/ii

Length
    27/33/36
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve View Post
    Improvement as in what? Like lack or static? Fewer split ends? Fewer knots? etc...
    Using only a silk pillowcase, I go to sleep without frizzy hair, and wake up with frizzy hair.

Wearing the silk scarf, I go to sleep without frizzy hair and wake up without frizzy hair.

Plus, I can wear my hair loose inside the scarf and wake up without tangles. That was impossible using only the silk pillowcase.

I like using both the pillowcase and the scarf at the same time.

there are lots of different ways to weave silk and some are rougher or smoother than others ... look for "silk satin" that is probably the smoothest.

if you want thicker stronger fabric, look for a higher "momme" rating.

I have this pillowcase and it's perfect ... very smooth and soft even after I wash it in the washer & dryer. http://www.amazon.com/Silk-Pillowcas.../dp/B000B43PCA

Length
    15/33/37
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Currently not available though
    Jarl Ragnar Sigvarðsson of Hrafnsfjord

that kind of silk is usually called "dupioni silk," though I first knew it as thai silk because that's what my dad calls it.

Silk charmeuse is basically a silk-satin (but not crepe backed like many poly satins are). You could try that, or maybe a china silk. I can take some pictures of close-ups of different silks and try to find the entries in my textile book later.