Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Henna JUST Their Ends?

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Anyone Henna JUST Their Ends?

I imagine this would be more common with dark hairs ? Since my old dyed ends have been subjected to alot more and as it grows out it since im not trimming very often it shows it. Now that i have some henna around for my skin i thought it would be worth asking if on dark hair hennaing just the ends would be benefical to splits and tangles? My ends are fairly dark (probably really dark to most people) and already have a bit of a red tint so do you think henna would show up very much? Im so not ready to be a red head and full henna is more commitemnt than im wiling to make but to do just the last inch or so...?

What do you all think? Ive tried cassia and while most of my hair loves it my ends did not. So i thought maybe cassia down to the last 3-4 inches and then henna the tips at another time?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Anyone Henna JUST Their Ends?

A member that I haven't seen around in quite a long time henna'd her ends. It was quite a striking look because she was (is) blonde.

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

That sounds like TheBlondeApple, IIRC

I henna my lengths more because I'm growing out lighter dye, and I just do my roots occasionally because I don't want the unprocessed roots to be much darket than the natural. The more it grows out the easier it will be to isolate the dyed bits (I hope!). Actually I henndigo, so it's slightly different.

Seeing as you are very dark, I would have thought hennaing the ends wouldn't show up too, much and would protect them against damage.

Length
    24/28/33.5
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

You could use Morocco Method Henna Neutral, but be careful, it's very strawberry. Unless
    your hair is very dark.
    [URL="http://Hair1.jpg"][SIGPIC]

Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    A member that I haven't seen around in quite a long time henna'd her ends. It was quite a striking look because she was (is) blonde.
    Ohhh ive seen bottle blondes dye their ends red but ive never seen henna ends on a light hair ho neat!

Quote Originally Posted by Unofficial_Rose View Post
    That sounds like TheBlondeApple, IIRC
    I henna my lengths more because I'm growing out lighter dye, and I just do my roots occasionally because I don't want the unprocessed roots to be much darket than the natural. The more it grows out the easier it will be to isolate the dyed bits (I hope!). Actually I henndigo, so it's slightly different.

Seeing as you are very dark, I would have thought hennaing the ends wouldn't show up too, much and would protect them against damage.
    Hi Unoffical_Rose . Thank you for chiming in i do hope it gets easier to isolate for you as you grow. I am going to take a pic of my ends to compare them to pics from over a year ago and some i took late last year so see if they are still as dark as i think they are. Im already living with drastially two toned hair so whats a third bit of color right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueglass View Post
    You could use Morocco Method Henna Neutral, but be careful, it's very strawberry. Unless

your hair is very dark.
    Never looked into the MM dyes but i'll check it out. I already have henna around for my skin and since id only be doing my ends i think i would have enough .

Length
    ~15"/47"/Term?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

I have my tips lightly hennaed, but none of the pictures in my album really show it well...
    You can just barely see it here...

I'll try to find a better photo.
    CLASSIC!

Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Renbirde View Post
    I have my tips lightly hennaed, but none of the pictures in my album really show it well...
    You can just barely see it here...

I'll try to find a better photo.
    Hey Renbirde . Yes i can see it in that picture how cool! Does it help with tangles or splits? How long do you leave it on and is it diluted?

Length
    ~15"/47"/Term?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

It was straight henna, mixed with hot chamomile tea. I let it sit for a few minutes, glopped it on the end of my ponytail, bagged it, and tucked it down the back of my jumper. I washed it out with cold water (the garden hose, actually-- i did it outside so I wouldn't make a mess) about 15 minutes later.

As for the tangles and splits... I'm not really sure. I did the henna only once, shortly after I found the LHC. I was still being pretty mean to my hair, and my hair is fairly split-prone. :P And it needed a trim, then, too. It certainly didn't hurt any, though.

ETA: I used Light Mountain Henna in Bright Red. (They sell indigo and cassia blends as well) I got it from the local organic foods shop. The sift isn't great, but the shop has decent turnover, so it was reasonably fresh.
    Last edited by Renbirde; May 15th, 2010 at 11:40 PM.
    CLASSIC!

Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Renbirde View Post
    It was straight henna, mixed with hot chamomile tea. I let it sit for a few minutes, glopped it on the end of my ponytail, bagged it, and tucked it down the back of my jumper. I washed it out with cold water (the garden hose, actually-- i did it outside so I wouldn't make a mess) about 15 minutes later.

As for the tangles and splits... I'm not really sure. I did the henna only once, shortly after I found the LHC. I was still being pretty mean to my hair, and my hair is fairly split-prone. :P And it needed a trim, then, too. It certainly didn't hurt any, though.

ETA: I used Light Mountain Henna in Bright Red. (They sell indigo and cassia blends as well) I got it from the local organic foods shop. The sift isn't great, but the shop has decent turnover, so it was reasonably fresh.
    Thank you for the info . And lol the hose thats hillarious! Most of our yard is worn red bricks so if i did that we would have a heck of a bright spot . Good to know i dont have to leave it on forever too. Oh and thank you for the brand i have used light mountain cassia but never the hennas they have nearly a fullline at our healthfood store so i will check into the colors

Length
    ~15"/47"/Term?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

You only need to leave it on for a long time if you want a darker stain. If so, a longer time and mixing with lemon juice instead of chamomile helps.

I mixed up one box of the LMH with very strong tea. I think I had four or five teabags in an 16oz. (2 cups, 500mL) mug. I didn't use all the tea I made-- the mix ended up about cream-cheese thick, maybe slightly runnier, though I think most ladies go for something more like yogurt to make it easier to apply.

As far as the color-- I grabbed Bright Red because it's nothing but henna. Since I hadn't done any hair dyeing before, I wanted to start with something relatively simple-- henna powder + tea +hair seemed good. No cassia, indigo, buxus, amla, whatever. If you want a different shade though, more blond or brown, go for it. :P
    Last edited by Renbirde; May 18th, 2010 at 02:08 AM. Reason: ETA to clarify
    CLASSIC!