Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Hair Causes Migraines?

Default Long Hair Causes Migraines?

Is there a conclusive medical correlation between long hair and an increased frequency of migraines? I've had them since my teens, and since my mom and sister had them, I thought they were inherited, but lately I've gotten them more frequently and I recently let my hair get long enough to sit on, where before it was between waist and tailbone. I know this topic was discussed before, but was there ever a clear cut answer? Thanks.

Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Default Re: Long Hair Causes Migraines?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mig...section=causes

Migraines are not in any way related to the length of your hair.
    "If you’re bothered by every rub, how will you ever be polished?”- Rumi

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Aside from the scientific research, I can offer you my own personal anecdotal experience

I am a migraineur and have suffered equally with longer hair and very short hair. I would much rather enjoy my pretty long hair while having a migraine than ever cutting it short again and wishing it would grow.

Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I cut my hair on the advice of a neurologist once, to see if it caused my migraines. A cut from waist to APL did not diminish the frequency of my migraines. And I had to grow my hair back.

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I get migraines and have had them regardless of the length of my hair. Many people think a migraine is just a really big headache but there is more to it than that. For me I have trouble seeing with little electric squiggly flashes of light going everywhere to eventually seeing the world like I'm looking though a kalaidescope(this is my first clue that one is on it's way), the headache of course, I can feel nauseous and always feel very spacey for several hours after it has gone.

Length
    waist/44/44
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

I get migraines no matter how long my hair is. However, there is a type of headache I get if my hair is in an updo and it is pulling too much or not well balanced. I didn't start having it until I passed waist and started wearing my hair up.
    My routine has changed since starting to use Rogaine regularly to try to regain some thickness. I still cleanse every other day, but I use T/Sal shampoo, followed by my beloved Suave Wild Cherry conditioner. A vinegar rinse and catnip leave in follow.

Length
    48 cm/86 cm/100+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Rest assured, you do not need to cut your hair. Migraines are not ordinary headaches.
    You should look for another factor in the increasing amount of migraines. Could it be some kind of food you're eating (cheese, wine and chocolate are common causers), stressful days, or could it be the weather?

Last year I got migraines almost daily during a few months in the winter, it was horrible! But it stopped almost magically once summer arrived. Now this winter, the awful migraine-period hasn't returned. So it's very hard to predict the causing of migraines.

Length
    ?/50/50
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

I have migraines often but I don't think my hair causes them. I have "simple" headaches, too. Sometimes if I let my hair down when I have a headache it gets better instantly. I think it's because of its weight. A thicker hair is heavier than thinner even if they are the same length.
    In my case migraine is caused by not eating or drinking enough at school whole day and stress, I think.

Migraines are caused by chemical changes in the brain. Hair length has nothing to do with it.

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I've never understood the long hair causes headaches/migraines idea. Bear with me here. I know that an improperly placed bun or ponytail can cause a scalp ache. The pain is not coming from inside the head. It's due to the bun or ponytail pulling and making the scalp hurt. That situation can also cause the person to hold their neck in an odd position to try to alleviate the scalp pain. The pain is in the neck muscles when it happens to me. A migraine is on the inside of the head, isn't it? I've had headaches since my early teen years. My doctor wasn't sure if they were migraines or not as I didn't have all the symptoms of a migraine. Does anyone know why doctors would think that a migraine or "simple" headache could be caused by long hair? The weight of long hair can make your scalp hurt or you can have neck pain but I don't think those things are true headaches. Maybe I'm thinking too simplistically here? Or perhaps since long hair is out of the norm, it will get the blame if no other cause can be found? Over the years I've gotten the question "doesn't all that long hair give you a headache?" I've always said no and went on to explain that a badly done hairdo can give me a scalp ache, it doesn't give me a headache. The person asking always acted like they didn't believe me. In all cases the person asking had short hair.

I am not here to decorate your world