Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What hair type do I have and should I get layers?

Length
    4/12/20

Default What hair type do I have and should I get layers?

So after a year and a half of letting my hair growing this is the result. I cant decide what type of hair I have could I get some help with that?

On another note a few people have told me I should get layers. I'm somewhat interested but wouldn't know what type to get; Long layers, choppy, long choppy?

Also a friend of mine told me if I get layers I should get a few thin high or lowlights. I personally think this would be a bad idea, but what would you say?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: What hair type do I have and should I get layers?

I would type your hair as 1C, and vote no layers. Hair that is more on the straight side looks best with more of a blunt cut or gentle U shape (<~my opinion, of course).

Length
    SL/Waist/Hip
    Type
    2b/C/iii

I vote no on the high/low lights, but layers might be nice. Your hair is nice and wavy, so layers would bring out the waviness (if that's what you'd like). Looks to me your hair is about a 2a (supposing that's a proper hair typing picture)

Goals: APL : BSL : Midback :Waist : Virgin

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Hi there-

It looks to me like you do have some layers in the bottom already - maybe they are growing out. For hair typing I think most people wash and let air dry without combing - is your hair combed in the picture? IF it's not combed I'd say 1C, but if it was combed you may have more curls than we are seeing.

Let's see - highlights or lowlights - my pref would be NOT to - your hair looks really healthy, shiny and nice as it is. Layers - I'd stick with what you have, or grow 'em out.

Bottom line - you have GREAT hair - I wouldn't mess with it! ;-)

Length
    sl/waist/~
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Nice hair -- it looks like it's really thick and in good condition
    I'd vote no to the layers and definitely no to the highlights, but of course that's just my opinion.

Mad SCIENTIST!
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

1c/2a (hard to decide at your length...), definitely no highlights (you have such a rich, lovely natural colour, I really feel that highlighting would detract from it), and either maintain a U-shape hemline or get some very long layers. I think I'd skip on the layers for a little while yet, though. Wait 'till it gets a bit longer.

Long layers would be cool...I personlly dont like blunt hair cutts...it's blah.
    I think you should add highlights, a few thin ones wont hurt depending how light you're going, just do them on the top half of your hair . I dont think highlighting your whole head would be a good idea.

Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Your hair is really nice, so shiny and healthy. It is at the length where it will just better and better. You've passed the awkward 'wings' stage. Do you really want to deal with layers? Layers=sloppy ponytails.

As far as highlights or lowlights, that is up to you. They require regular maintenance, but if done well can look really nice. All permanent hair color can damage your hair. I do both on my hair, and I definitely see a difference in the quality of my virgin vs' colored hair. I like my hair colored so I will continue damaging it chemically.
    Last edited by renarok; May 7th, 2010 at 10:40 PM.
    "If you’re bothered by every rub, how will you ever be polished?”- Rumi

Length
    32.5/32"/50"
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I'm not any good at hair typing other people unfortunately. However, you have beautiful hair & I wouldn't change a thing. If you decide to get layers I suggest you get a few more inches of growth first.

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Your hair actually looks an awful lot like mine does when there's no damage. I'd say, 1c/2a. As for layers, I would say no. You have a really interested shape that looks masculine in my opinion. Furthermore, I've had nothing but bad luck with layers. I grew mine out and cut them off. Maybe people find them to be a real Pain in the... while growing them out, especially with shorter lengths. It makes it difficult to contain your hair in things like braids. Also, your hair typically needs periodic little trims to keep the ends fresh. Layers then require the extra maintenance of being "freshened up". Also, when you try to get rid of them (unless you want to chop) you have a good while of cutting "good hair" while trying to get at the layers, which is even worse if they accrue damage like mine did. Needless to say, it is easily avoided by just not getting any in the first place. Your hair looks great, by the way. You seem to have enough of a mix in your color(s) that there is simply no reason to put any kind of high/lowlights in there. They are permanent and require maintenance, typically damage your hair, and look really wonky sometimes when you get tired of them and want to grow them out. Little rant there, I know. Anyway, your hair is fine the way it is.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.