Thread: Itchy hair problem :(

Length
    13/21.5/30
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Itchy hair problem :(

I'm looking for natural shampoos and conditioners to soothe my itchy hair.
    Ive been using t gel but it has coal tar in it and im afraid it will strip my hair and damage it if i keep using it. So anything thats gentle for hair?

Thanks

Mad SCIENTIST!
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Itchy hair problem :(

I think generally if you have sensitive skin and your shampoo isn't over-drying and irritating your skin, your hair is usually fine...

Coal tar shampoo is too harsh for my skin, though. I use Alchemy Very Gentle Unscented. It's easy to get in the UK and Australia.

Type
    2c/M/ii

I like T Gel, seems to help. Can you put conditoner on the length and use the shampoo on just your roots? That's what I've been doing and it totally works.

bear of vry little brains x0h_bother's Avatar
    Length
    SL 07/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

If you still have an itchy scalp, you might want to switch to an "antifungal" antidandruff shampoo instead, one that is less harsh. I would try a pyrithione zinc antidandruff shampoo like Head and Shoulders. Also, an apple cider vinegar rinse on the scalp for some people takes away an itchy scalp. You also may want to try diluting your shampoo. GL!
    growwwwww..

if I tug on my hair, will it grow faster?

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

i find anything with honey in it helps a lot.

Have dealt with itchy SCALP (I am assuming that is what you mean ) for many many years. Not touching it, eating better (less sugar/caffeine), and occasional sulfate washes (going totally no-poo was BAD for my scalp) seem to help keep it in check.

But SMTs or just scrubs with crystallized honey really calm and soothe my scalp. Honey is humectant as well as antibacterial and my scalp (and skin) really like it.

hth!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    22/27/Waist
    Type
    1a/M/ii

The latest thing I've tried is rinsing with an aspirin dissolved in a cup of water. You can try dissolving one in a bottle of mild shampoo instead. This would be helpful if shampoos with salicylic acid work for you, because it's essentially the same thing.

I feel your pain. I used to use T-gel too, but I stopped using it because it was harsh on my hair, and I also don't like the idea of coal tar in or on my body when it's a possible carcinogen. But for me it's been very difficult to find a natural alternative. Anyway, good luck!

Length
    22.5/32/inf.
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I see you're in the UK, I've been using E45 shampoo which has never left my hair feeling stripped and my itchies have gone away It also contains climbazole which is an antifungal. You can buy it in Boots. If your scalp is dry, Boots also do a lotion that you put on after washing.

Sulfate free shampoos didn't work for me.