Page 6 of 285 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Catnip for split ends?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Catnip

Suldrun

I agree with iris - however I cannot say that it will reduce your split ends used over conditioner, with conditioner or over henna - which also coats the hair.

Will catnip help? - probably.

Can it strengthen hair? - from my experience, on my hair, used the way I use it - definitely.

My experince is just using it differently with nothing else used on my hair except shampoo and right now - a bit of conditioner used once in 4 or 5 months.
    Last edited by ktani; March 30th, 2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added text

Length
    Chin/TBL/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Well, so far I've very very pleased with catnip!

I let it soak on my braid for about 35 minutes this morning, and I conditioned with just a little bit of my conditioner and my hair is SOOOOO soft and amazing! I hope this keeps up!

Lady Sunrise of the Prairie

Default Catnip

Stagecoach

I am so pleased that it is working for you.

I am not saying people have to use it the way I do - using it differently for different reasons is uncharted territory for me.

Different conditioners work differently - see how things go - if it continues the way you say it is going you may well find that your split ends are reduced.

The more feedback that comes in, the more will be known about how catnip works with different methods.
    Last edited by ktani; March 29th, 2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: added text

Length
    Chin/TBL/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

[b]Ktani[/b, a BIG thank you to you for all your tips and advice!

If I keep getting these great results, I imagine that after a couple months I'll quite using conditioner... but for right now I think my hair is still to dry to go totaly without. But I'm hoping that once I get enough catnip treatments on my hair, I can leave conditioner for good! YAYAYAYAY because catnip is SOOO much cheaper!

Lady Sunrise of the Prairie

Default Catnip

Stagecoach

You are most welcome.

Catnip is so much less expensive - and my scalp loves it as much if not more than my hair does.

Try some on your face - it is wonderful on skin - I wash my face with it in the mornings - anything that you put on your face afterward - glides on - and your skin will be so soft.

No need to let it soak in - just apply it, smooth it all over and rinse.
    Last edited by ktani; March 30th, 2008 at 09:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Length
    14/24/???
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Morag

I have never tried Equisetum arvense or horsetail.

The one thing I do before I try any plant is check out the constituents the same way I read ingredient labels - ... mucilage, polysacharrides, resins - ... Catnip contains none of the above.
    Thank you, ktani! That's very helpful.

Wavelength - thanks for the link!

Length
    20"/42"/term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

I have purchased some organic catnip. It will be a few days before I feel that I can successfully try this without drying my hair out too badly.

Do you find it to have an oily or drying effect on your scalp? Is it something i should use ONLY on my length?
    ~Ny
    Lady Nynaeve of the Sword in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Inflammatory Breast Cancer - No Lumps, Not detected by mammograms.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=63326

"Some women don't want the land, or gold. Just the man..." ~Nynaeve
    "For in the plot we find more than just a man, we find the idea of that man, the spirit of that man, and that is what we must never forget." Evey (V)

Type
    2c/M/ii

Nynaeve, I find catnip just oily. The oiliness only comes out when I do repeated rinses (without washing the length) and the oils build up, - just doing one rinse does not make my hair or scalp oily. But not dry either. The opposite of dry, actually. I find it hard to imagine that anyone could find it drying.

You can use it on your scalp and your length alike, whatever you feel like. You'll have to find out how it works for you.

Remember, though, that if you make the tea too strong, it can become drying. I use ktani's proportions: one level teaspoon dried catnip to 275 ml water. A level teaspoon is not a lot of herb. I remember thinking it was almost nothing at all, the first time I made the infusion.

It's the opposite of drying when used in that dilution, in my experience.

Iris
    Last edited by iris; April 1st, 2008 at 03:17 PM.
    Grew out my henna (February 2007 - August 2009)

Length
    20"/42"/term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by iris View Post
    Nynaeve, I find catnip just oily. The oiliness only comes out when I do repeated rinses (without washing the length) and the oils build up, - just doing one rinse does not make my hair or scalp oily. But not dry either. The opposite of dry, actually. I find it hard to imagine that anyone could find it drying.

You can use it on your scalp and your length alike, whatever you feel like. You'll have to find out how it works for you.

Remember, though, that if you make the tea too strong, it can become drying. I use ktani's proportions: one level teaspoon dried catnip to 275 ml water. A level teaspoon is not a lot of herb. I remember thinking it was almost nothing at all, the first time I made the infusion.

It's the opposite of drying when used in that dilution, in my experience.

Iris
    Thanks.
    I'll probably end up trying it out either by itself or with only a tiny bit of condish after when I try it.
    ~Ny
    Lady Nynaeve of the Sword in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Inflammatory Breast Cancer - No Lumps, Not detected by mammograms.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=63326

"Some women don't want the land, or gold. Just the man..." ~Nynaeve
    "For in the plot we find more than just a man, we find the idea of that man, the spirit of that man, and that is what we must never forget." Evey (V)

Default Catnip

Nynaeve

I agree with iris, both my scalp and my hair are not dry with the dilution mentioned.

My hair does get oily about the 4th or 5th day if I stretch out a wash but not before then - I do wash the length each time though.