Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hibiscus rinse sort-of a success

Length
    22/27/Waist
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Default Hibiscus rinse sort-of a success

So I did a hibiscus rinse today hoping to bring out a bit of a red tint. I hopped in the shower and shampooed, rinsed, poured tea over my hair a few times, rinsed, then poured hibiscus over my hair and left it in a shower cap for 15-20 minutes. Then I rinsed it out and followed with an ACV rinse. A lot of rinses, I know! But I read Nightshade's article on getting herbal hair coloring, and I thought that the three step process would be the best way.

Anyway, I wanted to say that I didn't get any color at all to stick, but my hair is so soft and tangle free! It hasn't felt this nice in a while. I'm not sure which of the rinses did it, but I have a feeling the hibiscus was the key since I've tried the other two on their own before with not quite as amazing results. So all in all it was worth it even though I didn't achieve what I set out to do. I'd totally recommend hibiscus as a conditioner.

Length
    ?/26"/35
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Hibiscus rinse sort-of a success

Hmmm I have a hibiscus plant in my front yard Sorry you didn't get the results you wanted, but at least it made a good hair conditioner!

Length
    12 in/Waist/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I've been using molasses in my SMT's instead of honey and it's given me a reddish tint (newest photo in my signature album) which I don't particularly like, but maybe you will
    Progress Album Tailbone by 2013!

Length
    22/27/Waist
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by loralie View Post
    I've been using molasses in my SMT's instead of honey and it's given me a reddish tint (newest photo in my signature album) which I don't particularly like, but maybe you will
    That's a good idea! Ha, I feel like such a mad scientist with my hair sometimes.

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

If you hair is already saturated in the shower, there is no way for it to absorb any of the color. What about applying it to clean, dry hair ?

Length
    22/27/Waist
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by UltraBella View Post
    If you hair is already saturated in the shower, there is no way for it to absorb any of the color. What about applying it to clean, dry hair ?
    Thanks for the suggestion, UltraBella! Maybe I'll try that next time. The reason I rinsed it first is because I wanted to get some tea on it, as I read that the tannins in tea can help herbal color stick. I'm not totally concerned that the color part of the experiment failed since hibiscus turned out to be such a nice conditioner and I only half-expected results on my very dark hair anyway. But next time I want to experiment again I'll keep your advice in mind.

Length
    14/37/??
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I did hibiscus rinses for a while during the winter and I had the same effect as you; no colour change, but a very nice conditioning effect.
    I think I'll have to start again.

Length
    d.n.a/neck/mo'h.
    Type
    1b/M/i

I had quite the same experience with hibiscus rinse - no red for me. LHCers talk about hibiscus rosa-chinensis being able to change color and I don't know which species I got.

Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Wonder if that hibiscus stuff that's sold in the Mexican stores would work? I think they call it Jamaica hibiscus, and it's very reddish.

Length
    22/27/Waist
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I'm sure the Jamaica hibiscus is worth a shot! The kind I got is called hibiscus rosa-sinensis on the box, but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing.