Page 9 of 284 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Catnip for split ends?

Length
    18/44/Term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

As you know, my catnip tea is resting in the refrigerator until tomorrow afternoon. But I still have a few questions:

• I know you let it warm to room temperature. Is there any benefit to heating it carefully, double boiler style?
    • Do you apply to scalp?
    • I'm thinking of doing a vinegar rinse both before and after. Normally, I do vinegar as my final rinse, then rinse that out. Do I need to?
    • Are conditioning benefits increased by leaving warm and bagged for, say a half hour, or is that mainly for color?
    Lady Raederlhe of Chocolate Treasures in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Tribute to the KL Knot Photos April Hairtool Challenge Photos
    Renegrays -swearing undyeing loyalty to the silver cause!

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Raederle View Post
    As you know, my catnip tea is resting in the refrigerator until tomorrow afternoon. But I still have a few questions:

• I know you let it warm to room temperature. Is there any benefit to heating it carefully, double boiler style?
    • Do you apply to scalp?
    • I'm thinking of doing a vinegar rinse both before and after. Normally, I do vinegar as my final rinse, then rinse that out. Do I need to?
    • Are conditioning benefits increased by leaving warm and bagged for, say a half hour, or is that mainly for color?
    Excellent questions all, Raederle - I obviously still left some things out of this version of a catnip thread - thank you.

I would not reheat it - that could affect it somehow - it is an unknown - I have never done that.

Catnip is a specific for scalp irritation - I soak in it during the process of it being on my hair and definitely my scalp.

Catnip contains acetic acid, along with many other constituents - white vinegar is acetic acid - diluted in water. The pH of catnip is appoximately 6.

I do not think that you need to do a vinegar rinse at all - see how it goes.

See "White" vinegar - it can have salt in it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar

I use, as I have said, the leaves and flowers.

Catnip leaf constituents
    "Acetic acid, ......."
    http://www.monroecountymi.net/Medica...rbs/catnip.htm

The conditioning benefits are definitely increased with the extra time as well as the colour - just with body heat, bagged.

It was the extra time that gave me the conditioning I needed.

The disapearance of split ends happened with less time but the full conditioning benefits for me happened with more time.

I now have less breakage than ever before. The reduction of breakage to the extent I have now - happened with more time.
    Last edited by ktani; April 7th, 2008 at 09:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Length
    18/44/Term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

So, I'm taking it that the vinegar rinse, whose purpose is to remove any mineral residue, is unnecessary?

Default Catnip

Raederle

Catnip for me only became very slightly sticky when left in.

I wash my length each time with the lather from my scalp - not added shampoo.

Catnip does not build-up on my hair with the routine I use, even though the colour does not all wash out each time.

I have no residue problem or crunchy, dry ends.

With all of the different routines used by others, I cannot say what the results will be.

Try it without the vinegar rinse afterward, first.

You may need one before you try it, to help reduce conditioner residue or clarify if you think you need it.
    Last edited by ktani; April 7th, 2008 at 09:40 AM. Reason: added text

Length
    shldr/bsl/tb
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I tried my catnip-in-a-teaball. It looked about the same as the prior attempt without a tea ball. I brewed it at 1 tsp catnip to 275ml of water. I heated the water and popped the catnip in (in a tea ball), then covered it and let it sit for several hours. I let it sit until I needed it, at which point it was quite cool. I got a vaguely yellowy-green liquid without much color to it. I then proceeded to mix it with henna. I decided to post the full results in a separate thread here.

The smell was still in the liquid, btw. :P

Default Catnip

jesamyn

There is a faint odour in the liquid and sometimes when my hair is wet but not when it is dry.

No cat belonging to friends of mine and all of their cats love catnip - has ever responded to my freshly washed hair and even though I am allergic to cats - I love them and play with them - I have to be careful to wash my hands afterward and not touch my face or eyes - I get very close to them.

I have no experience with catnip and henna.

Length
    shldr/bsl/tb
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I'm guessing it's the mix of catnip and henna, and she's a weird cat. I also considered that it might have had something to do with the stainless steel, which is why I reported it.
    Last edited by jesamyn; April 7th, 2008 at 02:36 PM.

Default Catnip

jesamyn

Your cat is not weird IMO - she no doubt smelled the catnip around the plastic - some probably dripped.

According to the catnip farmer I spoke with, cats can smell catnip in something like a billionth of a particle of odour in the air.

Like I said, I have had no cat difficulties with my hair dry.

Length
    shldr/bsl/tb
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Oh, she's weird. This particular situation is just not necessarily a good indication of it.

The 'some probably dripped' actually made a light bulb come on. I know that I sweat some when I sleep with the henna and my cap. That's probably what dripped out, bringing the catnip along with it. Considering that my cap was barely damp this morning, I feel confident that was the reason.

I'm not overly concerned about her wanting to get into it dry. She always wants to remove it from buns anyway. If we went from de-bunning to purring and rubbing, it would be a relief.

Length
    18/44/Term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

My days off got all switched up, so today was catnip day. I took the mix out of the refrigerator this morning, since I wasn't sure when I'd get to the shampoo phase. As it turned out, the shampoo was late afternoon, so I put the catnip outside to warm up, since our house was only 60.

After shampooing, I applied to my scalp and ends, putting some in a plastic bag, and letting the hair from about shoulder down enjoy the bath. I poured the rest over my scalp, letting it drip into another bowl, and playing switcheroo. When my arms got tired, I covered my head, hoping that there was enough catnip to do some good to the scalp hair.

After about 40 minuites, I rinsed it out, and here I sit. I have to admit, it felt wonderful on my scalp, which has been mightily irritated of late. I don't feel a lot of slip to my hair, as compared to how it feels after a typical shampoo/condition cycle. Decided not to use the typical leave-in I typically use, so I could evaluate the catnip better.

So, once dry, I'll post how it feels. Hoping it hasn't altered my hair color ....