Page 86 of 284 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast

Thread: Catnip for split ends?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Catnip for split ends?

Quote Originally Posted by Alley Cat View Post
    How long do most people leave this on does it really have to be left on a long time if you are pressed for time a lot of the time ?
    People here are leaving it on for varied amounts of time and still seeing positive results.

I am still using the 1 hour time, sometimes a bit less, depending on my mood.

Beware Of The Beagles Alley Cat's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    People here are leaving it on for varied amounts of time and still seeing positive results.

I am still using the 1 hour time, sometimes a bit less, depending on my mood.
    Thank you. I guess I will experiment and see thanks.

Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    My shampoo contains dimethiconal but I have never had build-up from it in over 4 years.

I just found the ingredients of my sunblock online.

"SPF 30 Extreme Lotion
    Active Ingredients: Octocrylene 10%, Parsol 1789 (Butyl Methoxydibenzoymethane) 3%, Titanium Dioxide 2.2%, Mexoryl SX (Terephythalylidene Dicamphor Sulfonic Acid) 1%

Non Medicinal Ingredients: Aqua, Propylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Isopropyl Palmitate, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, PVP/Eicosene Copolymer, Dimethicone, Panthenol, Phenxyethanol, PEG–100 Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Methylparaben, Aluminum Hydroxide, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Tocopherol, Disodium EDTA, Propylparaben, Xanthan Gum"
    http://www.canadageneric.com/index.c...ct_id/9296.htm

2 cones, waxy type ingredients (I put them in bold) and some polymers (I did not bold those).

Catnip removes my sunblock, which means it removes the silicones as well as the small amount of the waxy type ingredients too.

The difference to me, is that silicones and the waxy type of ingredients here, are not in the same concentrations as in hair some hair conditioners. Catnip cannot remove hair conditioner as far as I know but I have never tried to use it for that, the same way I did by doing a second "shampoo" with it Monday, which was to remove my extra oil.

This is quite fascinating, IMO.
    Very interesting indeed How can you tell that the silicones are being removed by the catnip? I haven't used cones in a long long time but I'm confused as to how you notice if the cones are there or not. Is there a film or feeling left on your skin that is gone after washing with catnip?

I know that if my skin has oil on it and I wash my skin with soap/or hot water, the oil is gone and my skin is left dry, is it the same with silicones?

Many possibilities this catnip has

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    Very interesting indeed How can you tell that the silicones are being removed by the catnip? I haven't used cones in a long long time but I'm confused as to how you notice if the cones are there or not. Is there a film or feeling left on your skin that is gone after washing with catnip?

I know that if my skin has oil on it and I wash my skin with soap/or hot water, the oil is gone and my skin is left dry, is it the same with silicones?

Many possibilities this catnip has
    After I wash my sunblock off with catnip my skin feels clean, the same as if I had used soap but not dry. It is soft and moisturized. I apply the catnip twice. My sunblock leaves a shine on my skin, not a high sheen but by the end of the day along with my natural oils my face is somewhat oily and has more of a shine.

After washing the sunblock off with catnip, my face neither looks or feels oily at all. It is exactly the same as if I had washed my face with catnip without any sunblock being used at all.
    Last edited by ktani; January 30th, 2009 at 11:05 PM. Reason: clarification

Length
    buzz/ear/apl
    Type
    1c/F/ii

My current routine is CWC followed by diluted ACV rinse twice a week and CO once a week. I tried catnip instead of chamomile in my cassia treatment and absolutely loved how soft it made my hair.

I've noticed that I'm starting to get a few splits and white dots on my canopy and as I'm planning on not trimming for another year (except S&D) I'd like to add catnip into my routine more frequently. However, I don't think I can fit a whole hour of soaking three times a week to replace my conditioner.

What is the minimal soak time that you've found sufficient to help with split ends? Would doing a long soak once a week be enough, or three times for a shorter duration be better?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy-b View Post
    My current routine is CWC followed by diluted ACV rinse twice a week and CO once a week. I tried catnip instead of chamomile in my cassia treatment and absolutely loved how soft it made my hair.

I've noticed that I'm starting to get a few splits and white dots on my canopy and as I'm planning on not trimming for another year (except S&D) I'd like to add catnip into my routine more frequently. However, I don't think I can fit a whole hour of soaking three times a week to replace my conditioner.

What is the minimal soak time that you've found sufficient to help with split ends? Would doing a long soak once a week be enough, or three times for a shorter duration be better?

I am not recording results here like I do in Honey but people are doing different timings and still reporting positive results.

The only thing I can recommed, is that you experiment and see what timing you and your hair prefer.

I know what works for me and why. I have shared that.

People here have gotten very innovative and have made catnip their own, which I encourage, because they want different things from it than I do. I want colour and conditioning, as well as no split ends and reduced breakage.

It is the results that matter. You do not need to follow my routine or timing.
    Last edited by ktani; January 30th, 2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: clarification

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy-b View Post

I've been using the catnip tea to dilute my shampoo when I wash my hair. Then, if I'm too busy to let it soak for an hour, I sometimes dilute a little bit of conditioner in the tea, leave on for 3 minutes, rinse the conditioner out with water, then do a final rinse with catnip. Sometimes I will let it dry with the catnip on, and then rinse it out later at night when I have time - that way, it's kind of like soaking it without the inconvenience of having to wait another hour and then rinsing and drying it after that.

Lady Nereida of the Riptide Shores - LHK
    Renegray: Silver Hair is a Sparkling Diadem

I went to the mall the other day with my mom. Afterward, we were outside, waiting for a cab and a woman next to me kept looking at me.

Finally she just said, "You have the most beautiful skin I have ever seen".

I told her about catnip. She was definitely amazed, lol.
    Last edited by ktani; January 31st, 2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I integrated catnip in to my soapnut wash this morning, and I'm pretty sure it helped get all the pre-oiling out because this is the very first time that I got all the oil out first try. I saturated my oiled hair with the catnip and covered with a shower cap. I let that sit for probably 20 minutes or so (didn't time), and then added the soapnut foam to my catnipped hair and let that sit (drip) for another 5 minutes or so. I rinsed well and could immediatly tell my hair was extra soft, but had not oil left. YAY!

By the way, my cat finally noticed the catnip tea this time around and wouldn't leave me alone until I let him drink some. He's somewhere now, sleeping off his high.
    Lady Ismene of the Silver Spiral in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2010 Goals: WAIST by End of June w/ the help of Indian Herbs and Oils

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefeather71 View Post
    I integrated catnip in to my soapnut wash this morning, and I'm pretty sure it helped get all the pre-oiling out because this is the very first time that I got all the oil out first try. I saturated my oiled hair with the catnip and covered with a shower cap. I let that sit for probably 20 minutes or so (didn't time), and then added the soapnut foam to my catnipped hair and let that sit (drip) for another 5 minutes or so. I rinsed well and could immediatly tell my hair was extra soft, but had not oil left. YAY!

By the way, my cat finally noticed the catnip tea this time around and wouldn't leave me alone until I let him drink some. He's somewhere now, sleeping off his high.
    This is most interesting because I had my doubts that catnip could remove vegetable oils.

Thank you. It is probably the combination.

I do not know how well catnip will do over soapnuts. I believe that they coat the hair and catnip does not do as well over coatings, from my experience, for conditioning.