Page 233 of 284 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233234235243283 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,330 of 2840

Thread: Catnip for split ends?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Catnip for split ends?

Quote Originally Posted by BrightBlack View Post
    Thank you SO much for posting this! We have quite a bit of catnip due to a very entertaining kitty so I will be able to test this. ^_^ Split ends are my biggest problem but I would rather suffer them than use chemicals.
    You are most welcome! I just finished updating the catnip article, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=118, and blog post, with my newest steeping time.

It is the best one I have used so far. I started a while ago to keep my catnip stored in a clear plastic bottle. It allowed me to see any infusion differences. I noticed a particulate evident at longer steeping times that is not apparent at reduced steeping times.

It took a while before I could be sure of results because I often mixed steeping times over several washes, depending on my busy routine.

I finally started making the infusion at more convenient times and keeping the exact same steeping time to test my hypothesis. It worked. 4.75 hours and not one "fairy knot".

Length
    36/42/42+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

For some reason I haven't done a catnip soak in ages, I think I've been too busy with moving/uni etc.
    I've definitely noticed an increase in splits since I've stopped doing the catnip soaks. So I did a catnip soak this morning after shampooing (I don't rinse it out) and my hair is lovely and soft, I'd forgotten how wonderful catnip soaks are, and hopefully I can get back on track with stopping split ends.
    My flat mates think I'm nuts, one even thought I was a drug user after seeing me with a bag of catnip whoops!
    On the long journey past Classic length onto Knee length and happy hair....
    Heat free | La Riche Directions for Colour

Hello, I have a question, instead of using catnip tea can be used catnip essential oil?. Thanks very much.
    (sorry for my english but I'm learning it)

Quote Originally Posted by celeste116 View Post
    Hello, I have a question, instead of using catnip tea can be used catnip essential oil?. Thanks very much.
    (sorry for my english but I'm learning it)
    Again, catnip oil like most essential oils can be a strong irritant. What makes catnip effective in my experience is the synergy (combination) of all of its constituents, and for me, that is a balanced mix of leaves and buds.
    Last edited by ktani; September 26th, 2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: grammar

Length
    pixie/shld./BSL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I just did a catnip rinse today after kind of forgetting about it for a few months. I've forgotten just how soft it makes my hair feel! I need to make time to do this more often.
    2a F ii

Fatty acid profile of Nepeta Cataria (catnip), click to enlarge and read,
    http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-p...7&size=largest

http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...ias/Catnip.htm
    "The fats are comprised of: linolenic (57&#37, linoleic (18%), oleic acid (12%), and saturated fatty acids (6%)."

There is a lauric acid content.

I do know that with body heat, a catnip infusion is accessing my hair and penetrating somewhat and more than without body heat (covering my hair with plastic during a treatment). From results, I am very pleased. Does or can a catip infusion penetrate the hair shaft to the cortex? Some of its lauric acid may, not to the extent that coconut oil can though. I do not have an answer to that. I do know I no longer have a breakage taper or split ends. What exactly is working I cannot say. I just know that it is working.
    Last edited by ktani; November 13th, 2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: added link

Length
    20./27/40
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I cannot wait for my hair to be long enough for catnip soaks again. I have told others about using it and they have had the same good results. Thanks for all your research, Ktani!
    AKA MotoGirl... August 2014 - WAIST! Four years after growing out from bald due to chemo.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaniels8811 View Post
    I cannot wait for my hair to be long enough for catnip soaks again. I have told others about using it and they have had the same good results. Thanks for all your research, Ktani!
    You are most welcome!

Considering that others have had reported a good hair growth result with catnip besides me, you could start now.

Hi Ktani!

I do herb washes and use catnip as the final rinse. Would adding a tsp of hibiscus powder 5 minutes before using he tea affect the catnip in anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by little_cherry View Post
    Hi Ktani!

I do herb washes and use catnip as the final rinse. Would adding a tsp of hibiscus powder 5 minutes before using he tea affect the catnip in anyway?
    It depends on what you are using the catnip for, a rinse or a treatment. I never found catnip as effective as a rinse. As a treatment, the mucilage in hibiscus would not allow catnip to have the same access to the hair. The herb washes may already be doing that as well. Many herbs coat hair.
    Last edited by ktani; November 13th, 2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: adjust text